49ers sign Jennings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

49ers sign Jennings

Moderator: Football Moderators

49ers sign Jennings

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:12 pm

Linkage

Should boost their offensive line and help protect Rattay/Rodgers. Helps Barlow out as well.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:14 pm

well, he's definitely an improvement, I'll give them that, but I'd say O-line is still SF's number one need right now...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cooleyhigh » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:16 pm

Wow, I can't believe the Bills lost both Jennings and Williams. I thought were going to resign one of them.

They had better address O-Line soon or McGahee is going to take a slight drop in value.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:18 pm

here is the article

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) - The San Francisco 49ers signed left tackle Jonas Jennings on Thursday, acquiring the top free agent available at a problematic position for the club.

Jennings spent his first four NFL seasons with the Buffalo Bills, starting 14 games last season.

He should provide the 49ers with a significant improvement on their mediocre line, which struggled during San Francisco's 2-14 season. The Niners allowed 52 sacks, and running back Kevan Barlow became frustrated with inadequate run blocking.

Kwame Harris, a first-round draft pick who has struggled at left tackle in his two seasons with the Niners, probably will move to right tackle to accommodate Jennings. Harris and Kyle Kosier split playing time at left tackle last season, but Kosier is a natural guard.

The Niners tendered contract offers on Tuesday to Kosier and guard Eric Heitmann, both restricted free agents. Centre Jeremy Newberry, a two-time Pro Bowl player who missed all of last season with injuries, also should be back next season.

portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Justin_Case » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:34 pm

I know the Bills were probably expecting to lose Jennings, but maybe now that it's official they will get back to talking with Arizona about a deal for Shelton for T. Henry like before.

I still don't understand why that deal fell apart.
Justin_Case
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Flux » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:45 pm

justin_case wrote:I know the Bills were probably expecting to lose Jennings, but maybe now that it's official they will get back to talking with Arizona about a deal for Shelton for T. Henry like before.

I still don't understand why that deal fell apart.

From what I read, Henry wanted a big contract extension, and ARI didnt want to offer that up. They wanted him to play out his former contract (very cheap) and then renegotiate after the year to make sure he was worth it.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:56 pm

Anything that will help the 49ers offense to run better is cool with me. ;-D

Kind of sucks for McGahee though...he's losing some of that line that has helped himself and Henry in the past 3 years.

Uh,oh...think about Losman also! Hope they have some credible backups, or all the skill positions become bigger question marks. :-o
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bigGAME101 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:47 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Anything that will help the 49ers offense to run better is cool with me. ;-D

Kind of sucks for McGahee though...he's losing some of that line that has helped himself and Henry in the past 3 years.

Uh,oh...think about Losman also! Hope they have some credible backups, or all the skill positions become bigger question marks. :-o

You know what, that offensive line could never really pull it together. They have struggled for the past 3 years, and just as they are starting to add new players and blend, they lose Reuben last year, and now Jennings. I never thought Jennings was a great lineman (more overhyped than anything), and if the Bills land Shelton, who I'm sure they will push hard for, that is a nice upgrade IMO. If not, dont expect Willis' production to go down...that line was never that good anyhow.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:39 am

cooleyhigh wrote:Wow, I can't believe the Bills lost both Jennings and Williams. I thought were going to resign one of them.

They had better address O-Line soon or McGahee is going to take a slight drop in value.

This is enough for me to personally drop him to late first early second...and that's a bit generous.If they replenish the line it may change a bit,but as of now I think I'm a little gunshy taking a guy with an unproven young QB and a shaky line.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby water boy » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:15 pm

well thats a nice start for the 9ers Let see if they can build on it now.
water boy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk