Dilfer to Browns. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dilfer to Browns.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:54 pm

And with the first pick of the 2006 NFL draft, The Cleveland Browns select...
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:34 pm

Im going to go against the grain here. I think this means they will not draft a QB. The Browns have many, many holes. I can see them taking DJ, struggling this year with Dilfer at the helm, and then getting a QB next year in what should be a strong draft for QB's.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:50 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Im going to go against the grain here. I think this means they will not draft a QB. The Browns have many, many holes. I can see them taking DJ, struggling this year with Dilfer at the helm, and then getting a QB next year in what should be a strong draft for QB's.

I could see this happening so,

And with the first pick of the 2006 NFL draft, The Cleveland Browns select...Matt Lienhart, QB - USC?
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:06 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Im going to go against the grain here. I think this means they will not draft a QB. The Browns have many, many holes. I can see them taking DJ, struggling this year with Dilfer at the helm, and then getting a QB next year in what should be a strong draft for QB's.

And with the first pick of the 2006 NFL draft, The Cleveland Browns select...Matt Lienhart, QB - USC?

poor leinhart...

:-b :-b :-b

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:28 am

Vikes Rule 88 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

poor leinhart...

:-b :-b :-b

Not only would he have to deal with being on the perennial cellar-dweller that is the Browns, he'd have to hear his name butchered as well.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:35 am

It's not like the Browns are a lock to finish last, you know.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:11 am

i don't necessarily think it's "against the grain" to think that the Brownies will draft a QB... in fact, I bet they're after DJ.

But anyways, good luck to the Browns and Luke McCown in the future... and I hope DJ doesn't bust... but now that the Browns leading tackler SS Robert Griffith is gone, DJ would probably be an instant all-star id he went to Cleveland.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:38 am

sorry to post twice in a row, but here is a fanball report...

The News
The Browns agreed in principle on Saturday to a trade that will give bring 32 year-old quarterback Trent Dilfer to Cleveland in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick, according to ESPN.com. Dilfer, who has served as the backup for starting signal caller Matt Hasselbeck throughout most of his four-year run with the Seahawks, will be given a chance to compete for the starting job in Cleveland. The move to acquire Dilfer was made because the Browns were unable to re-sign quarterback Kelly Holcomb, who signed with the Bills on Friday. Dilfer played in 22 games since joining the Seahawks in 2001, throwing 13 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions during the four-year run.
Our View
Browns fans can thank new general manager Phil Savage for this acquisition, as he worked in the Ravens' front office when Dilfer led the team to a Super Bowl title in 2000. Of course, most analysts feel that the Ravens' outstanding defense led the team to that Super Bowl win and that Dilfer was simply along for the ride. Trent will have another chance to prove his skeptics wrong, as he will likely open the season as the starter ahead of the rookie quarterback the Browns are expected to select with their No. 3 overall pick in April's draft.

looks like a fourth rounder, not a fifth. Even still, my thoughts remain solid... it was a good trade for a mediocre pick. It's not everyday that you can get a starting QB, even a Dilfer, for a 4th rounder.

But still, as posted in another thread, with Dilfer being traded, why is there no Kitna news?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MadScott » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:00 pm

I think this was a very nice signing for the Browns. Dilfer will be a great mentor for either McCown or whomever they decide to bring in either this year or next. I don't know if anyone remembers seeing Hass being interviewed last season I believe it was on ESPN "Countdown" but he said that he owed the success that he's having to Dilfer's tuteledge, not so much reading the defenses or mechanics per se, but rather how to be a true leader for your team.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:56 am

maddog60 wrote:While I don't approve of giving up draft picks, even late round ones when you're rebuilding, it's not absurd. The Browns needed someone with experience QBing on their roster. Who were their other options: Warner, Johnson, Vinny-T, mind you that Arizona, and Chicago have to be factored into for potential bidding wars with either of these guys.

Dilfer is a career backup, but that's exactly what they're bringing him in for, to be the veteran backup, because they're going to take Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers, and whichever one they take will get a trial by fire introduction into the NFL.

Not a chance in hell do the Bears get into a bidding war over anyone.That's just not how they operate.They go for a guy that no one is actively pursuing,and either sign him or let him walk.To the point,the Browns could have done worse than Dilfer though.He is a solid QB that doesn't make alot of mistakes,but you will never mistake him for Manning or C-Pep.They have to shake off the bad mistakes they've made in the past and jump in the draft with both feet and get another QB.Only thing that's gonna save them.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk