Warner and Cards agree to terms - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Warner and Cards agree to terms

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:29 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:Well, maybe he won't start...

Does anyone see the Cards trading up for Rodgers or Smith? If so, Warner could be a great "insurance" slash "trainee" type QB that he was in NYG.

I don't know...I'm pretty sure he isn't (or wasn't) going to go anywhere if he wouldn't get the starting job. That's what he was whining about last year, and that's why he wanted out of NY.

I could see them pulling a NY though...start him for the first half and then work the new guy in once they're out of it. That would make me laugh. :-b
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:31 pm

Boldin and Bryant Johnson is a nice duo.
Toss in my boy, uberstud Lurry Fitz, and you have an amazing trio.

All Warner has to do is get em the ball.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:32 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:

Does anyone see the Cards trading up for Rodgers or Smith? If so, Warner could be a great "insurance" slash "trainee" type QB that he was in NYG.

I don't know...I'm pretty sure he isn't (or wasn't) going to go anywhere if he wouldn't get the starting job. That's what he was whining about last year, and that's why he wanted out of NY.

I could see them pulling a NY though...start him for the first half and then work the new guy in once they're out of it. That would make me laugh. :-b

That's what I'm expecting to happen... ;-)

If they do get a new guy via Draft, I expect they'll pull a NY.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:35 pm

I wouldn't count on them getting one of the QBs, they don't have the horses to trade up in the draft.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:48 pm

1 year 4 million dollars? Interesting move by the Cards.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:48 pm

Warner won't be bad if he has time to throw; if not, he'll lose the handle and throw a bunch of picks.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:51 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I bet the big selling point for Warner was somebody mentioning, "Sure you can start . . . . .". And who knows what else they were going to say, before Warner grabbed the contract and signed on the dotted line. I mean it could have been:

"Sure you can start working on our young QB's talent"

"Sure you can start, during preseason"

"Sure you can start cleaning the restrooms from last season."

:-D
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:05 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:you guys must not have watched him play this year...im not saying he is the worst...but im saying they could have done better..i think warner was a product of the system he was in.

If anything, I'd say any of the success the Giants had this year offensively can be attributed to Warner. He wasn't putting up the numbers, but was effective enough to let Tiki run wild because defenses respected his pass threat.

The Giants were a winning team before Warner got yanked, could've easily made playoffs, and Tiki was on pace to dust Alexander and Martin. Then Eli got put in, and the season went down the drain.

I think Brad Johnson would've been better (especially as a starter), but adding Warner when you have virtually no talent at QB is not a bad move.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelyeri » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:12 pm

Very Nice pick up. He should do well now that he has some good receivers. He did a decent job last year even with a horrible line and receivers that couldn't get any separation. He should

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:54 pm

Man, I loved Warner when he led us to the Super Bowl. You could say he was a product of the system, but his accuracy and leadership skills were undeniable. It was sad to see him hit such a sharp decline and undergo a painful QB controversy.

I honestly believe the guy is still serviceable. He's not ideal starting material, but he is more than worthy as a backup or mentor. Warner was prospering in New York last year, had they kept him in they would have made the playoffs. Although rushing Eli in might help in the long run, I don't think it was best decision for the Giants at the time.

Nice pickup, I wish Kurt(and Brenda) the best. :-)

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk