Bengals Interested in Jamie Sharper? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cincinnati Bengals

Bengals Interested in Jamie Sharper?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bengals Interested in Jamie Sharper?

Postby Flux » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:23 pm

-- Bengals Eyeing Sharper? --
Tue Mar 8, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports there was word out of Houston on Monday that LB Jamie Sharper, granted permission late last week by the Texans to seek a trade, might be talking to the Bengals. HC Marvin Lewis was Sharper's defensive coordinator with the Baltimore Ravens for five seasons (1997-01).

I wouldnt mind getting Sharper at all. We of course would need to renegotiate his contract b/c he is in his last year and is due something like $8 mill (or at least that much in a cap hit to HOU). If we grabbed Jamie, it looks like we would be forced to fill our d-line needs in the draft, which isnt a bad thing considering the lack of talent left on the market (minus perhaps Jasper from ATL)

I love having a coach w/ ties to great defnsive players ;-D
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chaindog35 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:47 pm

that'd be a nice addition. anything that can improve the D is a good move.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DUKE » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:08 pm

Sharper is one of the baddest mofo'in LBers in the game. I saw this early this morning and have forced myself to not get any hopes up for it. If it did happen, it would suprise me, since we never seem to make "big splashes" like this would be. Not trying to be bitter or anything, just a bit numbed from "big names" rumored to be interested or even visiting, only to land somewhere else year after year. Man, I'd be absolutely giddy if it were to happen though. The scenarios have already been flying everywhere with PDub's name in many of them. Ok, I told myself I wouldn't get to thinking about this :-b .
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby DUKE » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:31 am

Sharper Update: (I am weak...I can't keep from getting excited by the possibility of this....stay strong DUKE, don't let em' reel you in again :-o ) Get this done, and I say Defensive problems solved!

http://www.bengals.com/press/news.a...=0&news_id=2792

Reunion interests Sharper
3/10/2005 - 3-10-05, 5:40 a.m.
BY GEOFF HOBSON

One of Marvin Lewis’ high-profile Super Bowl defenders is interested in re-joining him in Cincinnati, but a few things have to happen first.

Linebacker Jamie Sharper, who had 20 tackles, two sacks, and two interceptions during the Ravens’ championship postseason for Lewis in 2000, is on the trading block in Houston and he has told his agent he finds playing for Lewis again intriguing.

But Tony Agnone said Wednesday it doesn’t look promising that a trade can be struck with any team.

“We’re looking into a release,” said Agnone, the Baltimore-based agent who has a good relationship with Lewis from his six seasons there as the Ravens defensive coordinator.

“It’s up to the Texans, and obviously we’d like to get Jamie on the market as quickly as possible,” Agnone said. “He loves Marvin. He’s his guy, his mentor, whatever you want to call him. Jamie would love to be able to sit down and talk with Marvin, but he can’t and we can’t. We’ve been given permission to seek a trade, but not permission to talk.”

Agnone wouldn’t comment when asked if he had approached the Bengals about a trade, but he indicated they are one of the team’s leading Sharper’s list.

Sharper, who turns 31 late in the season, has never missed a NFL game in the eight years since Lewis helped draft him in the second round out Virginia in 1997. He is one season removed from leading the NFL in tackles with 195 and in his three seasons with the Texans he has had at least 137 tackles.

The 6-3, 240-pound Sharper, who works mainly on the inside, is an athletic ball hawk who would also help the Bengals raise themselves from No. 26 in NFL run defense. Although Houston is moving in a different direction at backer, he’s coming off a 137-tackle season in which he returned one of his two fumble recoveries for a touchdown. He’s also got 25 career sacks.

Agnone anticipates Sharper playing on the left, or strong side, if he ended up in Cincinnati, but also said he could play the middle because of his experience playing inside in the Texans’ 3-4 alignment.

“I think the thing he wants to do is to be able to sit down with Marvin,” Agnone said. “But that can’t happen yet and we’re hoping things move along.”

What is not clear yet is if the Bengals have been holding off to make a run like this in free agency, or if they simply don’t have the salary cap room to make such a move. There has been some speculation they may be waiting for March 12, when Sharper’s brother, safety Darren, is expected to be released by the Packers.

In a bit of a twist, the Bengals keep talking about a long-term deal with the agent for running back Rudi Johnson, a guy that just happens to be friends with the Sharpers. They grew up in Richmond, Va., not far from Johnson in Ettrick, Va.

Also Wednesday, the situation of Dolphins defensive lineman Bryan Robinson looked to be status quo, with the Bengals, Broncos, and Cowboys in the picture.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DUKE » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:35 am

From the Texans' Website:

http://houstonprofootball.com/

March 10, 2005
Sharper: Cut Me

Linebackers Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman have asked the Texans to keep them from hanging in limbo for too long according to a televised report by KRIV-TV in Houston. Both had been told by the Texans to seek a trade late last week.

"If in the next couple days I can't (be traded), I would like for the Texans to release me," Sharper said via phone to the television station.

The station added that Sharper said he would have been willing to restructure his contract if it meant staying with the Texans.

"I was figuring I was going to be staying with the Texans for the rest of my career up until this past Friday."

Sharper told the station that general manager Charley Casserly told him to seek a draft pick in return for his trade, even if it takes up until the college draft in late April.

While Sharper has reportedly received interest in a trade from at least one team, the Bengals, his fellow teammate will likely have a more difficult time finding a willing suitor. Foreman ended the 2004 season on the injured reserve list, and he is still almost two months away from a recovery following ankle surgery.

"I don't think (Sharper and I) were the problem on defense," the station quoted Foreman as saying. "I thought we were the centerpiece."
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pdub » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:40 am

awesome news.
pdub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DUKE » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:34 am

According to Bengals.com , he is scheduled for a visit this week and both sides are currently negotiating. With Webster's health more of a concern, we really need to get this done! The Defense would improve immediately with Jamie Sharper.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flux » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:36 pm

DUKE wrote:According to Bengals.com , he is scheduled for a visit this week and both sides are currently negotiating. With Webster's health more of a concern, we really need to get this done! The Defense would improve immediately with Jamie Sharper.

Thats great news. I know that SEA and JAX are both still courting him, and it looks like BAL is out of the race. Neither SEA nor JAX though actually have visits scheduled to my knowledge, which appears to make us the front runners to this.

I hope we can get this done ASAP, I dont want these other teams trying to outbid us. With really no other moves looking likely this offseason, may as well make him a nice offer
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:37 am

I've heard reports that Jamie Sharper is going to be in Cincinnati today for a visit. Hopefully, he doesn't leave without a contract. ESPN insider is reporting that he has a scheduled visit for Seattle on Thursday.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flux » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:09 am

yeah I saw he was scheduled to visit SEA a couple hours after my last post. From what Ive read though, SEA isnt really too much in the running as he has no ties to anyone there and is just "checking out free agency."

Cleveland has also been mentioned as a candidate, but I dont really see that happening. I pretty much think its down to us, BAL and JAX. I keep reading conflicting reports about whether BAL wants or can afford him or not, so who knows about them. CIN is the only team ive seen in every report, so hopefully thats some good news.

I also read that he wants to get a deal done before the end of the week. That pretty much narrows things down to us and SEA unless he throws in an extra visit.

To add to all of this, its also being reported now that Webster had a 2nd surgery on the same knee in December after reinjuring himself during rehab. Basically he wont be back until training camp at the earliest, which obviously makes getting Sharper more of a priority. Unless, of course, we decide to go w/ Caleb Miller there, which wouldnt be the end of the world, but Id rather have both Sharper AND Miller in there.

If we can grab Sharper I will be extremely happy w/ this offseason
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Cincinnati Bengals