P. Burress may consider a one year contract - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

P. Burress may consider a one year contract

Moderator: Football Moderators

P. Burress may consider a one year contract

Postby Bottled Aggression » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:36 am

Bottled Aggression
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: P. Burress may consider a one year contract

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:45 am

Bottled Aggression wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2008556&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233
I wonder why teams are scared to sign him. Whats the deal??

Well, it's just my opinion, but I think he's just in it for the money and not the competition. Had he been in it for the competition, he would have stayed in Pittsburgh and given himself a chance at winning a championship. Instead he wants to go to a rebuilding team in a high-profile location with an aging #1 WR and a new QB, all the while hoping he can make more than the best WR in the NFC last year not named Terrell Owens or Randy Moss. He knew the Steelers wouldn't pay him what he thought he was worth even though Roethlisberger seemed to really lock on to him for those rare TD passes.

I personally don't think he's #1 WR quality. He seems to have a bad work ethic and (as many other NFL'ers) seems to like to "expand his mind" a lot. It just screams "head case" or "locker room cancer" to me.

I'll probably get slammed by Steelers fans who really like the guy... :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: P. Burress may consider a one year contract

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:46 am

Bottled Aggression wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2008556&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233
I wonder why teams are scared to sign him. Whats the deal??

if he's asking for Muhsin Muhammed type money, that's probably the hitch. The article tries to make it sound like it wasn't his fault that he only had 35 catches last year, but the fact remains he only had 35 while Muhammed had over ninety I think (can't remember the exact number).
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:16 pm

I wish the Bears would have spent that Muhammed money on Plax instead.Yes Mush is good,but Plax is no slouch and he's younger,insuring more productive years.If he does indeed go to the Giants,is it possible to think Eli will have some fantasy value?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Flux » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:35 pm

Theres no way he only takes a 1 year deal, its all just smoke and mirrors.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:11 pm

If I were the GM for a team, Burress asking for Mussin-type money wouldn't bother me. Burress is a lot younger, and still could have his best years ahead of him. If the Bears could've paid the exact same money to Burress they did to Mussin, then I'd have to say overall they made a bad move.

Personally, if NYG still has the cap space, I think they'll sign him, but nothing is certain.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby UNDEFEATED » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:42 pm

If i were Plaxico, I would have left the Steelers too. Big Ben is not, I repeat not a clutch passer. That is why they were bounced out of the playoffs. As a matter of fact they should have lost a round earlier because of him. But he was bailed out.

Plaxico is competitive(every body is competitive) but at the same time this is a business. And he needs to get paid accordingly, he is competing for a contract as of right now. If it were you standing at the bargaining table and they offered you a Young-talented WR $2 million dollars a year(Cedric Wilson $8 million 4 years). When other people around you were making a lot more. What would you do? God-willing you do not get injured or have a stroke(brushci). He may never play again but he does have three rings. $$$ pays the bills not rings.

I would test the market. And sign the dotted line and collect my PHAT check. Stabilizing my family for generations. Rather than floss a Super Bowl Ring.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby maddog60 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:38 pm

UNDEFEATED wrote:three rings. $$$ pays the bills not rings.

No, but rings are very important. Money can be made through advertisements, marketing. Tom Brady takes pay cuts to help the Pats, but he's developed such a marketable "good guy" and "ultimate team player" image that he makes more than enough in endorsements I'd guess that he doesn't feel the loss, and doing things like taking said pay cut only enhances his image and helps him earn more rings.

Also, just ask Dan Marino if its easier to get money or rings, and how much he'd pay to have actually earned one.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby cardiac cats » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:19 pm

my personal opinion- I don't care much for placixo and from these articles and whatnot is seems even more to me all he's after is the money. If i'm not mistaken he was a top 10 pick and he really hasn't done jack yet to warrant top dollar money(ex. mushin); however he is still young and has great size. I just think he has a bad work ethic and decides when or when not to play(hmmm sounds familiar).
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:15 pm

at the financial levels these guys are talking about, there is no reason if you are moderately aware of real finances, and are moderately competitive why you should have to extract every last drop of a contract because you can. That is the thing that bugs people -- not that you are at a high plateau to begin with -- but to have to extract every drop when you are making so much to begin with, all at the expense of competitiveness.

Who is their right mind would want a one year contract? Plaxico and his agents don't seem all there. They may get lucky, but I doubt it.

What is in it for the other team? He is going to want to set the market value for the next contract, next year. Why would a team want both the uncertainty with the player, but also the investment in getting him the ball so he can bolt? If you don't, then he is going to be a locker room problem.

He isn't that good. He could be that good. But right now, he really isn't.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk