P. Burress may consider a one year contract - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

P. Burress may consider a one year contract

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby UNDEFEATED » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:46 pm

maddog60 wrote:
UNDEFEATED wrote:three rings. $$$ pays the bills not rings.

No, but rings are very important. Money can be made through advertisements, marketing. Tom Brady takes pay cuts to help the Pats, but he's developed such a marketable "good guy" and "ultimate team player" image that he makes more than enough in endorsements I'd guess that he doesn't feel the loss, and doing things like taking said pay cut only enhances his image and helps him earn more rings.

Also, just ask Dan Marino if its easier to get money or rings, and how much he'd pay to have actually earned one.

How many ad contracts are available to the ENTIRE TEAM?

How many players are marketable?

How many players are invited to Disney World after the Super Bowl? 2 or 3 from the winning team.

The odds of you landing an AD CAMPAIGN is slim to none.

I am glad you picked Brady/Marino as examples. How in the hell is Plaxico Burress in the same league as these to MVP's. Using Brady and Marino as market comparables to Plaxico is ridiculous. I am a Marketing Major. And have a bit of expertise. As a matter of fact any person on the street knows that Marino/Brady are TEN TIMES more marketable that Plaxico based on looks alone without any of the records, rings, and statistics.

Marino is tanned with blue eyes and handsome. Great smile.
Brady is blue collar teeny bobber and good looking. Great smile and humble

What does Plaxico have to offer? 6'5" black guy with cornrolls. Not even close to the corporate image that ads are looking for. Mcnabb is a different story. So don't even try to use him as a counter arguement. There is always an exception to the rule.

You are speaking as if he has a great chance to lock down an ad campaign. Plaxico has some chance but not a significant one. What about Derrick Mason, J Smith, Joe Horn, Heinz Ward? Established veterans with great careers, Where are all there huge ad $$$$. NO-WHERE! There are a few small local spots that they collect from. Nothing else.

But they are nowhere in the league with McNabb, Mcnabbs mom, Terrell Owens, and Terrell Davis.

I could go on for days about how what you are saying is faulted.

Bottom Line. Plaxicos BEST CHANCE at collecting $$$$ is NOW. Not through Ads but with a PHAT contract. Why do all the extra work to make $ doings marketing? When you can take a large stab at security and retirement now. With your contract.

And in todays world. Talent and potential alone will get you a contract. Statistics will get you extensions and extra years in the league. Plaxico and his agents are making the most of his present situation. Just like Mushin. Who used Steve Smiths injury to boost up his Contract $$$$. Where would we as fantasy owners value Mushin before the season. UNDRAFTED. Now most of us have him in the Top 15. When last season he wasn't even in the TOP 40 and barely the Top 50 WRs.

Nothing in life is pure. Mostly everything is a business. And you need to be a business person. Not a purist fan. This is reality.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:34 pm

I think Burress is just plain weird. He seems so disinterested in his career.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby LT Blue Colt » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:51 pm

I'd like to see him look into Atlanta. Him and Vick, what the heck, see what happens. :-)
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:55 pm

The Giants broke off talks with Burress today:

http://www.giants.com/news/eisen/story. ... ry_id=5952
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:55 pm

LT Blue Colt wrote:I'd like to see him look into Atlanta. Him and Vick, what the heck, see what happens. :-)

Why so they can have 2 unproductive WRs Vick can't get the ball too?

And I also heard the Giants are no longer interested. Minny should try and jump on this. I can't see them going into next year with Burlson as their #1 WR.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby cruiz03 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:06 pm

In Minny, he will be solid.
cruiz03
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eaglesfan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:53 am

Adam Shefter(spl?) said on Total Access that the Eagles faxed a contract offer over to Burress last night! I don't think it's going to happen but at least there trying to upgrade at WR.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:30 am

Burress posted 1300 yards as a #2 WR.

Everybody hates on him because the "hype" doesn't match the production. Mid-rate WR? Head case? I see Plaxico as a guy who is frustrated, much like Corey Dillon, for having sizeable talent and being stuck in a poor situation. Everyone who says that Plaxico is all about himself is right, but that's how a player's attitude should be. He wants to be involved so he can have an impact on his team and become a top-notch WR to help the cause his team.

Ask yourself, when was the last time Pittsburgh actually won a championship? A couple times while Plaxico has been a Steeler, they've advanced in the playoffs, yet they always seem to fall just short. How frustrating would it be to watch as your team struggles in the postseason every other season, while your perhaps "game-changing" talent is being ignored due to game planning?

For a guy that knows in his own mind that he can be a difference maker, whenever the Steeler's do well but not well enough to win it all, it's a slap in the face to Plaxico. How does it feel knowing that he could have been a contributor to make them even better, yet he was ignored in favor of their ball-control, run oriented offense, stuck as the #2 WR whose main purpose is to draw attention from defenders (and not catch the ball).

With the very few chances that Plaxico gets in games, he has no chance to develop a rhythm with his QB (50% of his passes are deep balls). So everyone points out how inconsistent Plaxico can be, adding that much more to the stigma that Plaxico is a hyped up headcase. It's kinda tough to adjust to only 1 pass in every other possession.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:27 pm

Burress refused to take a physical.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:31 pm

I read Burress could be going to the Eagles on a 1-year deal. Just a rumor though.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk