What don't the Giants understand about them NEEDING A WR!? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What don't the Giants understand about them NEEDING A WR!?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What don't the Giants understand about them NEEDING A WR!?

Postby kanezfan11 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:13 pm

Giants no longer interested in WR Burress

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
March 10, 2005

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Plaxico Burress won't be a New York Giant next season.

A day after meeting with Burress, Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi announced on Thursday that the team was no longer interested in signing the former Pittsburgh Steeler and had withdrawn its contract offer. The announcement itself was unusual -- most teams don't usually say publicly that they have no interest in a player.

Burress was supposed to arrive at Giants Stadium on Monday but he missed the meeting because of illness. He finally showed up late Wednesday and had dinner with some coaches and members of the front office.

The five-year veteran had more talks on Thursday morning before being told the Giants were no longer interested.

Burress had 35 catches for 698 yards and five touchdowns last season. His best season was in 2002 when he had 78 catches. When free agency began, he was supposed to be one of the most sought-after players on the market, but the visit with the Giants was his first with any team.

The Giants went through most of last season without a deep threat. Tim Carter was lost early in the season with a hip injury and rookie Jamaar Taylor showed flashes coming back from knee surgery in college.

Amani Toomer battled a hamstring injury much of the season.

Since free agency started, the Giants have signed four players -- middle linebacker Antonio Pierce, offensive tackle Kareem McKenzie, kicker Jay Feely and backup quarterback Jim Miller.

Michael Harrison, Burress' agent, was not immediately available for comment.

Updated on Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 3:28 pm EST

Email to a Friend | View Popular

------------------------------------------------

I'm so excited they cut Ike "Slow-As-Hell" Hilliard, possibly making room for a WR signing. Just let Plax go to the Eagles and it's another cellar-dwelling season. Great job Giants management, seriously, great job on this one. :-t
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:25 pm

kinda sounds like plax offended them or something. i know it says he showed up late...but it sounds like something more happened. dont lose hope bro....they will land someone...but you might wanna change your sig now :-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:25 pm

Why aren't they interested in Plax, so much so that they would publically announce it? :-?

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby IRON CHEF » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:27 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:kinda sounds like plax offended them or something. i know it says he showed up late...but it sounds like something more happened. dont lose hope bro....they will land someone...but you might wanna change your sig now :-)

I thought it was pretty funny to read the thread and then scroll down to see Plax's face giving me a staredown. :-b

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:41 pm

IRON CHEF wrote:Why aren't they interested in Plax, so much so that they would publically announce it? :-?

Plax probably wanted a lot more than they were offering. The Giants pull out of the deal making one less possible destination for Plaxico next season. Less potential suitors = less money will be offered to sign him.

Now that the Giant's have dropped out, Minnesota's low offer will be looked at and the Eagles have jumped into the picture with the hope of landing Burress for a bargain.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:45 pm

Plaxico, come to Minnesota..... You know you want to......

The Vikes might be able to grab him for a decent price now. Hopefully he'll make another stop in Winter Park ;-D
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:59 pm

You know, something feels strange with this whole Plaxico thing. I was thinking he just priced himself too high, but you'd think if teams were really interested they'd go after him and try to make a deal. Now the Giants come out and flatly say they don't want him. It makes you wonder if there is some unspoken reason they're not interested.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:09 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:You know, something feels strange with this whole Plaxico thing. I was thinking he just priced himself too high, but you'd think if teams were really interested they'd go after him and try to make a deal. Now the Giants come out and flatly say they don't want him. It makes you wonder if there is some unspoken reason they're not interested.

agreed... teams are nervous (as I am) about Plax, the #1 receiver. Sure he was good lining up next to Hines Ward... but as a number one? Hmmm...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:27 pm

At least he got a free meal out of it...hope he ordered lobster...mmm, lobster.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:42 pm

Minny needs him most but Plax's best fit is Philly where he could be #2. I can see that happening now. Minny should still try and get him although it looks very questionable that they'll be able to land DJ at #7 so they may be resigned to taking Williams. That's my guess.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk