Eagles get new QB. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eagles get new QB.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Eagles get new QB.

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:01 am

I just got word in an email that Mike McMahon, formerly of Lions fame, will be joining the Eagles to compete with Detmer for the backup job.

Nothing earthshattering, but I will post a link as soon as I find one.

Edit: ok here is the link:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/default.jsp
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:26 am

Hmm, I didn't even know he got released from Detroit...well, they're for sure bringing someone in now (if they weren't already).

That's too bad for McMahon...he's a local boy (Western PA), but he seems a little undersized and is a little jittery running around all the time. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:34 am

I have liked McMahon. I think he got a bum rap in Detroit. He seemed like he was never given the chances or leash Harrington got. But I guess when you are drafted that high and all that cash is invested in you...

But I am sure there are Lion fans that will disagree. I am not bashing Joey, just wish to see McMahon get more of a chance. Not that he will get that in Philly. I don't think McNabb's job is in jeopardy. Yet. haha, just kidding.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kevinoc81 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:47 am

Mercer Boy wrote:That's too bad for McMahon...he's a local boy (Western PA), but he seems a little undersized and is a little jittery running around all the time. :-/

Most of the times I saw him play (almost every Thanksgiving) he was running for his life back there. I'd be jittery too!
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:05 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Hmm, I didn't even know he got released from Detroit...well, they're for sure bringing someone in now (if they weren't already).

That's too bad for McMahon...he's a local boy (Western PA), but he seems a little undersized and is a little jittery running around all the time. :-/

he was a UFA this year... he wasn't released.

Anyways, I thought they were "close" to signing, but hadn't agreed to terms yet. Hmm...

Either way, now if D-Mac goes down, the Eagles have a mobile backup behind center. Not the most fashionable pick, I realize, but I like it. Good move.

Concordingly, as an old McMahon fan, I now have to hate him if he truly is an Eagle. Pity...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canacuna » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:19 pm

I really liked watching McMahon play - he was fun to watch.

...good move for the Eagles, I 'spose.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Atog » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:30 pm

i liked Mike in Detroit, but he didn't get as much playing time as he deserved. It was always "Joey is on the Hot seat" but he only played like one game.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby maddog60 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:46 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:Either way, now if D-Mac goes down, the Eagles have a mobile backup behind center. Not the most fashionable pick, I realize, but I like it. Good move.

Honestly, I'm beginning to be of the thought that capable backups are meaningless when you have an elite QB. The reason I say this is because you're offense must revolve around the RB or the QB. Teams like Baltimore where the offense is RB centric, don't have the true franchise QBs, otherwise they'd focus on the QB.

Now take Baltimore, or Dallas, or the Jets. They're all focused on a RB, and having a capable backup QB is important (see when Pennington went down for the Jets as reference).

However, lets look at the teams with elite QBs in the NFL: Minnesota, Indy, NE, Philly, to a lesser extent nowadays Green Bay. Signing the top FA QB would not matter for these teams. If their starting QB goes down for any length of time, they're screwed. Good backup or not, the Colts couldn't play like they do without Manning. The Eagles, if McNabb goes down, are done, they auto-lose. We've all speculated in the recent months the misery that would be brought down upon GB when Favre is gone. It seems like its impossible to get a backup that can offset the hit taken by losing such a high quality QB, so why bother. Get the cheapest vet, preferrably a good holder on kicks, and get a young guy to develop, and just pin your hopes on that star player.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:57 pm

I agree maddog.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:10 pm

maddog60 wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:Either way, now if D-Mac goes down, the Eagles have a mobile backup behind center. Not the most fashionable pick, I realize, but I like it. Good move.

Honestly, I'm beginning to be of the thought that capable backups are meaningless when you have an elite QB. The reason I say this is because you're offense must revolve around the RB or the QB. Teams like Baltimore where the offense is RB centric, don't have the true franchise QBs, otherwise they'd focus on the QB.

Now take Baltimore, or Dallas, or the Jets. They're all focused on a RB, and having a capable backup QB is important (see when Pennington went down for the Jets as reference).

However, lets look at the teams with elite QBs in the NFL: Minnesota, Indy, NE, Philly, to a lesser extent nowadays Green Bay. Signing the top FA QB would not matter for these teams. If their starting QB goes down for any length of time, they're screwed. Good backup or not, the Colts couldn't play like they do without Manning. The Eagles, if McNabb goes down, are done, they auto-lose. We've all speculated in the recent months the misery that would be brought down upon GB when Favre is gone. It seems like its impossible to get a backup that can offset the hit taken by losing such a high quality QB, so why bother. Get the cheapest vet, preferrably a good holder on kicks, and get a young guy to develop, and just pin your hopes on that star player.

good rant... except that I think that McMahon probably signed pretty cheap. So why sign an old vet when you can get a young slinger? Think about it... McMahon is young, quick, inaccurate, and headstrung. Basically, they get a younger white Donovan if D-Mac gets injured... :-b

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk