Fiedler signs with Jets - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fiedler signs with Jets

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm

ljthockey wrote:Wait is Quincy still with the Jets if so wouldnt that make Fielder signing as a third string.

Quincy is in rehab and is an UFA that the Jets will not sign.

As for the signing of Jay Fiedler, I'm happy because he has started many games in the NFL, so he is obviously a competent backup.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:17 pm

fiedler will make a great backup...and a more reliable one than most teams have. good move by the jets ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:35 pm

Fiedler should make a good backup. I was surprised of the 5 yr deal though. Seemed a bit long to me.

It also sounds like BJ had a good workout with the Lions, so he may end up there, since they missed out on Warner.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:00 am

I've mentioned it before but the Jets needed a solid backup QB, and I suppose Fiedler fills those needs. With Chad's injury worries, Carter's myriad issues, and the incompetency of Brooks Bollinger and Ricky Ray(if he's even on the team any more), it was important that a QB got inked- nice signing.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JimmyChoi » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:22 pm

Good job Jets....just what we needed to go 8-8
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:50 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:
kevinoc81 wrote:You can have him Jets.

I guess the Bears are zeroing in on Johnson, Ferotte, or Blake.

Please not Blake. I would have liked to have seen Fiedler as a Bear, for the reasons Canacuna mentions.

I would be more than happy to see Johnson in Blue-N-Orange,as a veteran backup that can really help a young possibly solid QB,that can still spot start if necessary.Frerotte,not too bad either I guess,but I don't want him teaching Rex how to celebrate.We've already seen how fragile he is,and a neck injury isn't what I call an end zone dance. !+)
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:17 pm

It appears likely that the Bears will get Johnson as their backup,as his last stop was to be Miami.

Former Vikings QB Frerotte signs with Miami

NFL.com wire reports

MIAMI (March 15, 2005) -- Free agent quarterback Gus Frerotte left Minnesota to sign with Miami, Vikings executive Rob Brzezinski said.

The Dolphins refused comment. Frerotte's agent, Marvin Demoff, did not immediately return a call.

Frerotte, a backup the last two seasons to Minnesota's Daunte Culpepper, should fill Miami's need for a backup with starting experience. He also would be reunited with former Vikings offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, who left Minnesota for Miami after last season.

Frerotte hoped to remain in Minnesota if he couldn't get the chance to start elsewhere, but the Dolphins are unsettled at the position with part-timer A.J. Feeley penciled in. Frerotte told The Miami Herald he will get an opportunity to win the job.

"Coach (Nick) Saban said it was going to be a fair competition," Frerotte said. "That's all I am looking for."

The only other quarterback on the roster is third-stringer Sage Rosenfels, who has made just one NFL start.

The signing of Frerotte will help lessen the impact of the departure of former starter Jay Fiedler, who shared the position with Feeley last season. Fielder was released last month and signed last week with the New York Jets.

Frerotte started two games for the Vikings in 2003. He completed 38 of 65 passes for 690 yards with seven touchdowns and two interceptions. He attempted just one pass last season.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Football Talk