Saints to trade D. Howard (rumor) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Saints to trade D. Howard (rumor)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Saints to trade D. Howard (rumor)

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:47 pm

to Dallas for their #20 and Dat.
This is hot right now.
http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joshyboy72 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:45 pm

Interesting. I can't say I don't like the deal...but what would be left of our d-line after this deal gives me the shivers. Maybe we could work some deal with Minnesota in which we get their 7th overall pick, to have a shot at Derrick Johnson maybe. But I like that deal with Dallas as well.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:57 pm

I agree that the departure of D. Howard would hinder our D-line rotation, but if T. Bryant resigns with the Saints then we will be alright.

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:07 am

hmm lots of goodies in there. They wont get the 20th and Dat though, Im not sure where you got that from. Boo Williams would be an interesting pickup for the Lions or Jets.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:10 am

I thought it said their 2nd overall pick, which would mean #20 since they have 2 first rounders.

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Evolution » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:31 am

I believe there's an article in the Seahawks forum about how they're trying to trade Howard for a 2nd round pick. Having read that, I fail to see why the Cowboys would give up a first rounder, AS WELL as Nguyen for Howard.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JayM09 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:35 am

according to the dallas morning news its a 2nd round pick and Dat for Howard. i dont think there is any way dallas will part with either of thier 1st rounders.

story here

Sources: Cowboys may deal Nguyen to Saints for DE

01:17 AM CST on Saturday, March 12, 2005

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The Cowboys, who have not had a defensive end with double-digit sacks in nearly a decade, are in serious negotiations with New Orleans to acquire defensive end Darren Howard, two sources said Friday night.

The sources said the Cowboys are considering trading middle linebacker Dat Nguyen and a second-round pick in April's draft to New Orleans for Howard.

Howard (6-3, 275 pounds), a five-year veteran from Kansas State, had 11 sacks last season and has 41 in his career. The former second-round pick had 11 sacks as a rookie.

CowboysPlus.com
Cowboys may deal Nguyen to Saints for defensive end, sources say
Stats, bios: Dat Nguyen | Darren Howard
Cowboys hope injuries don't come with age
NFL transactions
More Cowboys

He is currently involved in a salary dispute with the Saints, who have placed the franchise tag on him, meaning his salary will equal the average of the five highest-paid defensive ends next season. If he doesn't sign the contract by 3 p.m. Monday, he and the Saints can't negotiate a long-term deal that would help the Saints lower his salary-cap figure in 2005 and provide him with the long-term security that he desires.

The Saints also franchised Howard last season.

A source close to Howard said he has not yet entered serious contract negotiations with the Cowboys, but the sides have an idea of the parameters for working out an agreement.

Howard's name first surfaced in trade talk three days ago at the club's Valley Ranch training complex, but the talks didn't gain momentum until Friday, according to two sources.

Jeff Ireland, who is running the Cowboys' pro and college scouting department, called SMU coach Phil Bennett last week to inquire about Howard. Bennett was the defensive coordinator at Kansas State when Howard played there.

Injuries have hampered Howard the last two seasons.

He missed eight games with a broken wrist in 2003 and missed three games last season with an assortment of neck and knee injuries.

Nguyen, who is signed through 2007 with Dallas, is one of the club's most productive players.

The six-year veteran had a team-high 135 tackles with three interceptions and three pass deflections last season.

But he also fits into the category of a small linebacker at 5-11, 238 pounds. The Cowboys waived 5-10, 231-pound linebacker Dexter Coakley last week. Coach Bill Parcells wants bigger, more physical players like 6-2, 245-pound Bradie James at linebacker.

Dallas still has the 11th and 20th picks in the first round and could take a playmaking linebacker like Maryland's Shawne Merriman or Texas' Derrick Johnson with its first pick. Then Dallas could trade its second first-round pick to acquire additional choices.

Dallas used its third-round pick to acquire Drew Henson last spring.

If the Cowboys acquire Howard, who turns 29 in November, it would be an indication that Parcells wants to use the 4-3 as his base defense this season because Howard would be considered an undersized defensive end in the 3-4.

Howard and Greg Ellis would be the defensive ends, and La'Roi Glover and Jason Ferguson, signed to a five-year, $21.5 million deal last week, would be the defensive tackles.

They would form Dallas' best defensive line since the early '90s, when the Cowboys were one of the elite teams in football.

They would also have three defensive linemen capable of beating one-on-one blocking in pass-rushing situations, something the Cowboys haven't had in several years. Tony Tolbert had 12 sacks in 1996, the last time the Cowboys had a player with at least 10.

Surrounded by other outstanding pass-rushers when he played in New Orleans, Glover once had 17 sacks in 2000 and 50 in five seasons with the Saints.
[b]cafe leagues
nkl 9-6 #3 seed, runner-up
budbowl 10-5 #3 seed. 3rd place
vxl 11-4 #1 seed, runner-up
gbffl 10-5 #2 seed, lost semis
cafe champs 12-4 #1 seed, runner-up[/b]
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:19 am

I don't really like this move, especially if Dallas is planning to go to the 3-4. I would love to have him at DE if we stick to the 4-3, but then we're left with a hole at middle linebacker and the loss of a 2nd round pick.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bottled Aggression » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:44 am

joshyboy72 wrote:Interesting....Maybe we could work some deal with Minnesota in which we get their 7th overall pick, to have a shot at Derrick Johnson maybe....

Why would the Vikings want another Defensive lineman? I would never give up the 7th pick for a guy that doesn't fill a great need for the team.
They already signed Pat Williams DT this year. They also ave a few first round picks on the line... Udeze, Kevin Williams, Hovan and a 3rd rounder from last year, Darrion Scott.
I think our needs are obviously a WR, Safety and possibly another good LB.
What can you give us Saints?? Remember, we gave up Randy Moss to get this pick in the draft... How about Duece??? I know, it will never happen.
Bottled Aggression
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:50 am

I hate this deal, for many reasons...

1. It means Pro Bowler and Aztec-alum LaRoi Glover is definitely gone. No chance to convert to DE if we have Greg Ellis and Darren Howard. And of course Ferguson is the NT.

2. Dat is another one of the Cowboys I like... he's been with us for a while. He plays with a lot of heart... plus, he's like the only Vietnamese guy (I know of) that's in the NFL.

3. We have only 3 first day picks (like most people do), meaning our third-rounder is already gone... it went to Houston in the Drew Henson trade. If we trade away our 2nd rounder, we'll have 2 first round picks, and nothing else for Day 1. No draft depth.

4. Again, if we convert Glover, a speedy and big DT, to DE, then DE isn't really a need position, is it? Looks like Glover is out of here... :~(

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk