Saints to trade D. Howard (rumor) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Saints to trade D. Howard (rumor)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby cooleyhigh » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:25 pm

Dat is listed as 3 inches shorter and 7 pounds lighter than James and they want to dump him because he's small?

NO definitely gets the better of this deal if it goes through. I must say I like the prospects of Howard but the linebackers are going to look really shabby. Say they take two linebackers in the 1st round we still need a safety (Sharper perhaps).

We better draft some impact players because they will be immediate starters 8-o
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby FF Newbie » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:13 pm

Dat Nguyen is a great player. I'll be ticked if the Cowboys give up Dat AND a 2nd-rounder for a guy who's missed 11 games over the past 2 seasons. I wouldn't give a 1st-round pick either, maybe the 2nd-rounder straight-up.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby FF Newbie » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Better yet, just keep Nguyen and the picks and convince Charles Haley to come out of retirement! ;-D
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby terpfan » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:44 pm

Seems like a great deal for New Orleans if it goes down...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:33 pm

This deal is stalled right now, because so many teams are in the running for Darren Howard. With the signing of D. Burgess, there are no more premiere DE's in the market.

Redskins, Vikings, Seattle, and Dallas are all in the running for him.

As of now, the Vikings and Dallas are leading the pack. The more they go after Howard, the better of a deal we get. I love it. ;-D

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:30 pm

Bottled Aggression wrote:
joshyboy72 wrote:Interesting....Maybe we could work some deal with Minnesota in which we get their 7th overall pick, to have a shot at Derrick Johnson maybe....

Why would the Vikings want another Defensive lineman? I would never give up the 7th pick for a guy that doesn't fill a great need for the team.
They already signed Pat Williams DT this year. They also ave a few first round picks on the line... Udeze, Kevin Williams, Hovan and a 3rd rounder from last year, Darrion Scott.
I think our needs are obviously a WR, Safety and possibly another good LB.
What can you give us Saints?? Remember, we gave up Randy Moss to get this pick in the draft... How about Duece??? I know, it will never happen.

Hey...your team is just one of the front runners in making this deal. Don't blame me. If we pull out that deal with Dallas, that would be awesome. Minnesota's 7th round pick may not be able to get us Derrick Johnson, but it could land Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers...whichever isn't taken by San Francisco. And if we want to start re-signing Deuce and hopefully McKenzie to larger contracts, getting rid of Howard will help. Things are actually looking up, for once.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:54 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:
Bottled Aggression wrote:
joshyboy72 wrote:Interesting....Maybe we could work some deal with Minnesota in which we get their 7th overall pick, to have a shot at Derrick Johnson maybe....

Why would the Vikings want another Defensive lineman? I would never give up the 7th pick for a guy that doesn't fill a great need for the team.
They already signed Pat Williams DT this year. They also ave a few first round picks on the line... Udeze, Kevin Williams, Hovan and a 3rd rounder from last year, Darrion Scott.
I think our needs are obviously a WR, Safety and possibly another good LB.
What can you give us Saints?? Remember, we gave up Randy Moss to get this pick in the draft... How about Duece??? I know, it will never happen.

Hey...your team is just one of the front runners in making this deal. Don't blame me. If we pull out that deal with Dallas, that would be awesome. Minnesota's 7th round pick may not be able to get us Derrick Johnson, but it could land Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers...whichever isn't taken by San Francisco. And if we want to start re-signing Deuce and hopefully McKenzie to larger contracts, getting rid of Howard will help. Things are actually looking up, for once.

I know the Vikes are trying to get hi,, but I agree with bottled agression. Also, there is no way the Vikes give up their seventh for him. Even if they got one of the Cowboys first rounders as well. They really want Mike Williams Ive heard.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lsufan » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:21 am

If the saints can get a first round pick for howard i will be happy. two first round picks may give us the leverage to move up for johnson if that is who the saints really want. the dallas deal sound good as well. 2nd round pick and dat would be great. we may be able to deal our first and 2 second round picks for johnson. this years draft should be great no matter what!!
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:08 pm

I still think this deal is slimy...

Dat may be 30, but he is coming off a 135, 3 INT season... so way he is in questionof being traded for Howard, ALONG with a 2nd rounder.

We need those draft picks as we still have holes to fill. I now think LB is definitely our chief concern, along with OL and WR. The releasing of Dex (which still saddens me, but I suppose it might have been necessary. Though we didn't even save more than a million on it) can be filled with sleeper backup Bradie James, but after him we have no depth. Not to mention, we would have 0 starting MLBs... no one that even comes close to being a fill-in.

Lets also not forget that the draft is HUGE in depth of DE's this year.

However, according to the Dallas Morning News...

Dallas Morning News wrote:Cowboys say Nguyen isn't going to Saints

Dallas not trading middle linebacker, but it still wants Howard

11:38 PM CST on Saturday, March 12, 2005

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The Cowboys still want New Orleans Saints defensive end Darren Howard, but they're no longer willing to part with middle linebacker Dat Nguyen to complete a deal, two sources said Saturday.

A source said Jim Steiner, Nguyen's agent, spoke to a team representative Saturday and was assured that Nguyen would not be traded. Initially, the Cowboys were willing to discuss an offer for Nguyen, but decided they didn't want to part with him, two sources said.

Nguyen, owner Jerry Jones and vice president Stephen Jones could not be reached for comment.

The Saints wanted Nguyen, who had a team-high 135 tackles with three interceptions last season, because he's a productive player, and he's close to Saints owner Tom Benson.

The Cowboys, though, still covet Howard.

A source close to Howard said the defensive end's agent spoke with Stephen Jones on Saturday, and he is expected to give Howard's agent a contract proposal today.

New Orleans made Howard, 28, its franchise player, and the Saints have tendered a one-year contract that will pay him $7.6 million this season, but the deal has not been signed.

If Howard doesn't sign the contract by 3 p.m. Monday, then he and the Saints can't negotiate a long-term deal that would help New Orleans lower Howard's salary-cap figure in 2005, until July.

If Howard can agree to terms with another team before the deadline Monday, then he could sign the tender, and his new club would have a 24-hour window to restructure the contract.

New Orleans reportedly wants at least a second-round pick for Howard. Howard, who had 11 sacks in 13 games last season, wants a long-term deal.

Howard will probably want a deal similar to the six-year, $33 million contract with a $14 million signing bonus that Grant Wistrom received from Seattle this month. Wistrom has 45 ½ sacks in seven seasons; Howard has 41 sacks in five seasons.

Even if the Cowboys reach a financial agreement with Howard, they must still figure out how to compensate the Saints.

Last month at the NFL scouting combine, Jerry Jones said he would not trade draft picks for players.

Howard could make Jones change his mind.

With Howard (6-3, 278 pounds) and Greg Ellis at defensive end and La'Roi Glover and Jason Ferguson at defensive tackle, the Cowboys could have their best defensive line since the early '90s.

Howard, who doesn't have the classic burst usually associated with outstanding pass-rushers, does an excellent job of using his hands and contorting his body to get around tackles and to the quarterback.

He's a proven playmaker with 16 sacks, four forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries in the last 21 games.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bennett4prez » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:43 pm

I don't want to bring Minnesota back into the discussion, but I have heard nothing about a trade for Howard. Kevin Williams, Udeze, Pat Williams, and the mixture of Johnstone and Scott is a VERY nice defensive line. There is no way, NONE, that the Vikings would trade away the prospect of the landing Derrick Johnson, Braylan Edwards, or, above all, Mike Williams, for Howard. You can contemplate all you want. Howard will garner nothing more than a 2nd round pick, straight up.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk