My Mock Draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My Mock Draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Hayabusa » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:01 pm

He ran like an 4.9-5.0 in the combine few weeks ago lol.
Hayabusa
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:37 pm

I don't really agree with any mock that has Braylon Edwards or Mike Willams falling to Minnesota at #7. Seems like the lack of talent in this draft has left you a choice of going with a moderately talented QB, elite WR, or elite RB in the first few picks while still getting "value". There are more RBs(3) than WRs(2), while the QBs seem to be sliding further and further down the scale away from "franchise" status, so I'm under the impression that the 2 WRs will be among the first group to go off the board due to scarcity.... IF there is anyone in the draft willing to trade up to a top spot, it will be to draft a WR IMO and they will have to move above Minnesota.

How do I know this?

-See talk of SF drafting Braylon at 1.01... (don't discount trading up to the top spot if you want a WR)
-See Chicago releasing their #2 WR Terrel and sitting at 1.04...(slot them in to take Braylon if he's not already gone)
-See TB "guaranteeing" they will draft Mike Williams if he falls to 1.05... (last chance to get a top2 WR)
------------------------------------------

-See Minnesota offering trade A to Jacksonville (1.07 pick to Jags for Donovan Darius + 1.21)
-See Minnesota also offered trade B ( 3rd round pick straight up for Darius)

Why do these trade offers (both rejected) have significance?

Per NFL.com (using an NFL teams' draft pick value chart) the 1.07 pick in a standard draft is worth 1500 hypothetical "draft points" while the 1.21 pick is worth 800 points. If Darius is included in trade A, there should be about 700 draft point difference to make the trade equal, and perhaps less if the Viking's were desperate to acquire Darius. Making Darius' hypothetical draft pick value around 700 and possibly less.

Now onto trade B. Minnesota's 3rd round pick 3.16 is worth only 190 points according to the draft value sheet. Why the huge discrepancy between the supposed draft value of trades A and B. 800 draft points between the 1.07 and the 1.21 compared to 190 draft points for the 3.16?

Is it because Minnesota was lowballing the 3rd rounder to make the first offer more attractive? Or is having an extra first day pick that much more valuable because of the extra body on your roster? Other factors to consider: Darius is vocal about leaving Jacksonville and could be a cancer in the locker room, Jags have asked for way to much for Darius in the past few seasons, Or perhaps the 1.07 pick is really not as valuable in this year compared to years past. Minnesota and Jacksonville's teams could both GREATLY use an elite prospect WR like Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards, yet neither team seems to want the 1.07 pick. Minnesota seems to be grossly overpaying for Darius with trade A, OR the 1.07 pick is not much more valuable than the 1.21 pick this year.

This is all speculation, but it doesn't make sense to me why this trade was being offered in the first place by the Viking's or why it was turned down by the Jag's in the second place, unless they were pretty sure that both WRs would be gone by that point in the draft.

Maybe it will be possible to trade a top5 pick in this year's draft after all.....
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk