MVP (Most Valuable Position) ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

MVP (Most Valuable Position) ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

MVP (Most Valuable Position) ?

Postby saundman2000 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:33 pm

I think we have all seen a swing in the value of players over the last few years. Conventional wisdom still says that RB is the most valuable position in Fantasy Football, but things have changed that would cause you to think twice about that.

The way I would rank the importance of the positions is:

1) QB
2) RB
3) WR
4) TE
5) DEF
6) K

(This is based on a league that scores yardage, TD's, and receptions)

I believe a strong case can be made for QB's since there are very few sure-fire QB's and I think everyone is well served to go after one of those top guys. There is now a lot of parity at the RB position and you are more likely to grab a top RB with your second pick than you are a top QB.

I think that the WR position is more valuable this year than years past. It doesn't quite eclipse the RB position, but it narrows the gap from what it has been.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bottled Aggression » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:23 pm

Are you refering to the NFL or Fantasy Football.
NFL, I would say the QB is most important.
Fantasy, I will never say anything other than the RB is the most important. Especially if you factor in the number of starters per fantasy football team. Then the 2nd RBs also become important, while only starting one QB per team.
Bottled Aggression
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ravage » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:52 pm

League setup and scoring rules will make a big difference in the answer to this question.

For those leagues that start 2 QBs, obviously a QB is the most important position. A guy I know made a very good case for WRs being the most important position in his league but their scoring rules are so unique it wouldn't apply to 99% of other leagues.

For the most part RBs are still the most important. The popularity of RBBC in the NFL may have even increased the importance in some cases.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:01 pm

The most important players are the ones the league you are in determine are the most important.If you play with a bunch of guys that draft QB's heavy first,then obviously the QB is most important.More simply put,draft trends determine most important players.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Atog » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:18 pm

Defense can be #3 behind RB and QB if you have the right one...Buffalo, Pitts, Baltimore, and New England all averaged about 15 points in my league, which is about the equivalent of a WR or RB having 100 yards and a TD or a QB passing for 300 and a TD.
Last edited by Atog on Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:19 pm

if you start 2 RBs 1 QB...RBs are more important. its all a matter of mathematics. just like if you started 2 QBs and 1 RB, QBs would be the most valuable.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

My Thoughts

Postby WeekSixteen » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:54 pm

More simply put,draft trends determine most important players.

I agree with this. I would determine the most valuable position based on who is left in the draft.

For example in my draft I had the 2.11 pick and the guy with 2.10 drafted Michael Bennet as his 2nd RB. Clearly a big mistake as Bennet is your average RB and he passed on both Peyton and Culpepper so I nabbed Culpepper at 2.11 . I wasn't going to outscore anybody with a crappy 2nd RB but with a top 3 QB I would be, The difference in points by taking one the big 3 QBs and a crappy 2nd RB was very great making my descision to take a QB round 2 very easy.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:11 pm

Atog wrote:Defense can be #3 behind RB and QB if you have the right one...Buffalo, Pitts, Baltimore, and New England all averaged about 15 points in my league, which is about the equivalent of a WR or RB having 100 yards and a TD or a QB passing for 300 and a TD.

ATOG i am so glad somebody in this world is admitting this. Because i share this thought. Defense score alot of points in certain leagues. 20+ on more than 4-5 occasions. That is a grip of points.

Most people do not like drafting defenses early because they say that it is all the same in the end. Not true.

I had the Philly D and selected them in the 5th or 6th round. I always started them and never had the headache of playing defense by Committee. not to mention waste a transaction($1) per to pick one up every weekend.

Great point ATOG. i concur.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:27 pm

I played in 6 leagues last year.

Peyton Manning set the ALL TIME NFL RECORD for TD's at QB.

The team with Manning did not win ANY of those 6 leagues.

So, the all time greatest QB season ever still wasn't good enough to get these guys championships. But I do remember the teams with Faulk or Priest in the years when they each broke the rushing TD record absolutely dominating the league.

No way is QB even CLOSE to the value of RB.

Now you've also got to throw in the fact that to get those top QB's this year you're going to have to take them a full round and a half earlier, meaning your team will be even weaker. If getting the all time greatest QB season ever (FF wise) in the 3rd round wasn't good enough, I'm not sure how you could possibly think that getting a less fruitful QB season in the 1st round would be.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:47 pm

if you are in a 8 man league..you can recover from a mid-first round QB pick. and the benefits to getting a top 3 qb in that situation outweigh the small hit you take in your rb corps.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk