MVP (Most Valuable Position) ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

MVP (Most Valuable Position) ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:29 pm

I see many valid points in these arguments, but the notion that A certain Defence can score"so and so" amount of points is, no pun intended, Pointless.

In all scoring Formats the goal is to score more points than your opponents each and every week. If you get the most points overall for the season, that is the best you can do in terms of your abilities, the rest is luck.

Assuming that There are 2 teams and it is a 3 player draft ( a very simplified draft) and each person must draft 1 QB, 1 RB and 1 TE and that the numbers in Parentheses are the Points scored per week by each player.

Available players to draft: Peyton Manning(14), Daunte Culpepper(12) Shaun alexander (15) Edgerring James (10) Antonio Gates(14) , Anthony Becht(6)

Which player should you draft First??? Antonio Gates. He will outscore every week an average of 8 points giving the Team that drafts him an 8 point edge. Peyton Manning only gives a 2 point edge, and Shaun Alexander only has a 5 point "Edge". So even if the teams ended up like this:

Gates, CPepp, Edge
Manning, SA, Becht
The gates team would be better and score more points per week by 1 point. Obviously this true because of the drafting requirements of 1 of each and the limited players, etc. Therefore, even Tho SA scores more points overall than Gates, he is worth less. This is why when you say: Baltimore Defence can score as many points as a QB who throws for 300 yards and 2 TDs it is like comparing Apples to Oranges. Because.... Baltimore may only score 4 points more than even the weakest D (doubtful but possible) per week. But the QB who you compare it to may score 7 points per week higher than the weakest Fantasy starter.

Wow, that was way too long. Usually, because of the reasons I have described, RBs are more valuable but it depends on the scoring system to an extent.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:16 pm

Hey Skib, regarding top flight defenses myself and atog were saying that they make valid contributions to a fantasy teams points. Not taht they are primary offensive tools.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby gatorman1122 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:31 pm

This is how I rank the positions (based on importance):
1) QB-Manning is on top of this list followed by McNabb...After those 2, there seems to be a gap of about 10 passing TDs until the next group of QBs led by C-Pepp, Bulger, etc.
2) TE-Gonzo on top (ridiculously consistent, WR-like numbers every year) followed by Gates....dropoff (difference of ~5 receiving tds) (similar to the QBs)-Shockey, Crumpler, Witten, etc.
3)RB/WR-These are nearly equal in value especially with the abundance of good RBs available and somewhat of a droppoff in the quality of WRs...both has several 1st tier players (Terrell Owens, LT, etc) and an abundance of 2nd/3rd tier players that can outscore a top WR/RB any given week (e.g., Chris Brown, Drew Bennett, etc.)
5) DEF-Baltimore is on top by itself...slight gap....Steelers, etc.
6) K-somewhat unpredictable (just look at what happened to Vanderjagt and Wilkins)... just get Vinatieri

(note: just because I have TE ranked no. 2 doesn't mean that you should draft a TE in the 2nd round!)
After saying that, I might just draft 3 RBs in the 1st 3 rounds cuz I fear change :~( . If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joshyboy72 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:45 pm

The smaller the league is, the greater the value of a top tier quarterback is. More depth available at other positions...but if we're talking a standard league, there is nothing more valuable than solid, consistent running backs. In one of my leagues this past season a guy drafted Manning, and didn't even get close to making the playoffs...I think one of his starting running backs was Najeh Davenport or something, horrible drafter.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:51 pm

UNDEFEATED wrote:Hey Skib, regarding top flight defenses myself and atog were saying that they make valid contributions to a fantasy teams points. Not taht they are primary offensive tools.

yea, I'm not saying that Defenses don't play an important role, just that the fact that a D scores more points or as many points as a QB/RB is not a very useful way of looking at it. QBs usually score the most, but that doesn't make them the most valuable. TEs usually score very little, even the best ones but they are important. My main point was that the amount of "Points scored" is not important, but rather how much points more they score than the Average player at that position makes them more important.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:14 am

hmmm I like Free Bagels points. Especially since Manning was taken in the third round last year and those teams still didnt win. Now hes being taken in the first. O:-)
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GMoney » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:37 am

I think that TE might just be the most important FF position (again dont draft them in the 1st round... but i would definately consider Gonzo or Gates in the 2nd/3rd).

I think if you look at your league from last year the top 5 teams will probably have the top 5 TEs.

I know in my main league the top 5 teams had ... gates, gonzo, Eric Johnson, Jason Witten, and Alge Crumpler)....

the bottom teams with 23987234 good running backs couldnt keep up with the 'rest' i mean starting chris cooley, or jeb putzier just isnt enough.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby gatorman1122 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:34 pm

I think that TE might just be the most important FF position (again dont draft them in the 1st round... but i would definately consider Gonzo or Gates in the 2nd/3rd).

2nd/3rd round? isn't that somewhat too high for a TE? 4th-5th rds seems more reasonable for a top tier TE
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk