God forbid Roy Williams tackle Terrell Owens - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

God forbid Roy Williams tackle Terrell Owens

Moderator: Football Moderators

God forbid Roy Williams tackle Terrell Owens

Postby bagobonez » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:38 pm

New rule would fall under unnecessary roughness
By Chris Mortensen, ESPN

The NFL Competition Committee meeting in Hawaii this week will recommend that blind-side plays on "unsuspecting" players -- such as Warren Sapp's block on Packers tackle Chad Clifton on a punt return two years ago -- should be banished under the rules, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Tuesday.

If the proposal is adopted by owners at next week's league meetings in Maui, it will be specifically written into a broader interpretation of the unnecessary roughness rule.

The proposed change came as the result of continued dialogue stemming from Sapp's block on Clifton during a game between the Buccaneers and Packers in 2003 in Tampa. Clifton missed the remainder of the 2003 season with severe pelvic injuries.

Another play that pushed the committee into action came on a 2004 Monday Night Football game, when Broncos offensive tackle George Foster dislocated the ankle of Bengals defensive linemen Tony Williams who, under the new interpretation, would have been an "unsuspecting player" because the play was beyond him. However, there will be no changes on the controversial cut blocks that are allowed within the designated blocking zone.

Also under discussion this week is the specific "horse collar" tackle by Cowboys safety Roy Williams that broke the leg of Eagles receiver Terrell Owens. Williams injured four players with that specific technique, a committee member said Tuesday, and those incidents were still being debated by the committee. Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

What is a "horse collar" tackle exactly? Sounds like a bunch of "horse crap" to me. If it wasn't the Golden Boy that he injured, his name would have never came up. How else are you supposed to tackle a guy? Ask him nicely to fall down because you don't want to hurt him?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesfan » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:42 pm

A horse collar tackle is tackling someone by the neck. I guess you could say a clothesline. The Donovan Darius play is a good example.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby bagobonez » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:43 pm

There was no malicious intent when Roy tackled Owens. It was a simple drag down tackle, and Owens happened to get caught at a bad angle.

When will it end....
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Lung » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:44 pm

When will it end is right, bagobonez. You've been on your best behavior for the last several weeks in the Auction Draft: no conspiracy theories against the Cowboys, no anti-McNabb or anti-Owens rhetoric, none of that.

And now you're back to your old ways. Read the damn article again, Williams injured four players with that specific technique! That it was Owens that was injured was no matter. The NFL Competition Committee and NFL referees have absolutely no bias against any particular team and enforce ALL rules and regulations uniformly. Every one here is tired of you insisting to the contrary - nobody agrees with that point of a view! So why don't you just knock it off?
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Manja » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:53 pm

Then all tackling should be banned since the player being tackled might be hurt.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesfan » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:00 pm

If he has hurt MORE the one person with this method of tackling im pretty sure something shoud be done. ;-D
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:02 pm

Eaglesfan wrote:A horse collar tackle is tackling someone by the neck. I guess you could say a clothesline. The Donovan Darius play is a good example.

Its when you reach and grab the pad below the back of someone's neck and pull him down backwards. Roy did this to TO, causing the legs to get stuck under the body as TO's upper body was jerked backwards.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:03 pm

Manja wrote:Then all tackling should be banned since the player being tackled might be hurt.

This is a good point, football is an inherently dangerous game, but this type of tackling should be illegal, its kind of like a face mask in a way.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby ravage » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:05 pm

I've got to agree with bago on this one. That's not malicious or intended to injure. Guys have been getting tackled that way for years without a large percentage of injuries. I think this is going too far. Football is not an injury free game.

I can't speak for those specific injuries but we all know that a lot of injuries are the problem of turf and poor field conditions.

Some things are just the risk of playing the game.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby cooleyhigh » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:41 pm

I don't care if they make it illegal, it was a glorious moment. I cheered and laughed much like the Eagle fans did when Irvin suffered a career threatening injury at the Vet.

But I do agree with Bag. This is a stupid rule. Williams has injured plenty of other players, Kurt Warner etc.. with "normal tackles" and will continue to do so because he is a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk