Vikings trade pick for Cowart - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vikings trade pick for Cowart

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:21 pm

Vikes_Fan2823 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
mikehunt wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:if their d is better it has nothing to do with this meaningless move.

I would beg to differ that there d will be "that" much better with cowart. If you really feel that he is meaningless then you should maybe review his stats. He is a top LB for sure.

This trade makes me happy I did want to see Cowart is the purpke since the start of FA.

Mike

yea top linebackers are always traded for 7th round picks. :-t

A 30 year old LB(probably has 5 good seasons left in him) who has gotten 100+ tackles 4 out of 7 years and has good cover skills, I'll take it. I mean, its a real steal. Only a 7th rounder!

He will be able to help the young guys like EJ Henderson and Dontarrius Thomas mature, and gives us a starter. Definitely a good deal.

My thoughts EXACTLY. You know, other teams do need an MLB. And while Cowart isn't a TOP MLB, a 7th rounder for a somewhat solid MLB is amazing... I can't think of a better possible deal.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:29 pm

As a jets fan, Im kinda mad :-# that all we could get out of Cowart, who is a good LB, was a 7th round pick. Good move by the vikes, bad move by the jets.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:33 pm

this trade was nice for the vikes!! w00t. This is the first offseason in years with this many acquisitions. Usually we pick up 1 guy and draft our 7... glad to see a lot of action.

And for those doubters....

he had 140 total tackles in 2003 (i guess he only played 8 games last year.)

our top LB from last year had 93 (Henderson)

SKOL VIKINGS

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby MadScott » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:01 am

DJF, I thought I'd heard around some that Cowart wasn't happy with the Jets and his role there.

Solid move for the Vikes. Depending on how it gels, this might even be a solid fantasy defense. :-o
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:11 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:yea top linebackers are always traded for 7th round picks. :-t

Did you even bother to look at Cowarts stats or find out who he is before you made these comments. The guy is a starting middle linebacker if he were on any team, with the Vikings who have atrocious LBs outside of newly acquired Napoleon Harris, he's an instant starter.

Hmm, 7th round pick, or proven veteran better than anyone else I have on the team at his position, its a no brainer for the management and an absolute steal for the Vikes. This is definitely the best move they've made all season when considering how much value they got for what they gave.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:30 am

I guess they don't have much faith in EJ Henderson and Napoleon Harris. Too bad, I'd like to see EJ get another shot.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:34 am

maddog60 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:yea top linebackers are always traded for 7th round picks. :-t

Did you even bother to look at Cowarts stats or find out who he is before you made these comments. The guy is a starting middle linebacker if he were on any team, with the Vikings who have atrocious LBs outside of newly acquired Napoleon Harris, he's an instant starter.

Hmm, 7th round pick, or proven veteran better than anyone else I have on the team at his position, its a no brainer for the management and an absolute steal for the Vikes. This is definitely the best move they've made all season when considering how much value they got for what they gave.

Well said. ;-D
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:47 am

Part of the reason the Jets got so little out of him is the same reason that the 9ers/Bengals got so little out of Owens/Dillon. That being that Cowart was on the way out anyway. The Jets drafted Vilma and he's really quickly turning into a star, and Cowart has about 10 years on him so they're bringing in the younger guy.

Definitely a solid pickup for the Vikes.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Bottled Aggression » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:10 am

maddog60 wrote:

Very nicely said.

For those interested in stats:
Sam Cowart:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=4299
Ray Lewis:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=3542
Tedy Bruschi:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=3571
Brian Urlacher:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=5038
E.J Henderson:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=6376
Dontarrious Thomas:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=6807
Bottled Aggression
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:46 pm

The more I think about this, the more I curse to myself.

Jeez... Cowart is old, a former Jet... why didn't we trade for this guy? We still need another starting MLB for the 3-4.

Anyways, here's some more news... the Jets are still carrying 2.4 mil dead money against the cap as result of the trade. I'm not saying they shouldn't have traded, but I am saying they should have gotten at least a 3rd or 4th out of Cowart.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk