GB guards are signed - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

GB guards are signed

Moderator: Football Moderators

GB guards are signed

Postby onepunch » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:57 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/mar05/311701.asp

That takes care of that. Klemm, if healthy will be only a slight dropoff from Wahle and Rivera is recovering from disc surgery on his back last week, so Barry or O'Dwyer easily is an upgrade from what they would have had if Rivera stayed. Not to mention the millions they saved not resigning either. Not sexy signings, but now they need to get some safeties, a DT, MLB and depth everywhere.
onepunch
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Justin_Case » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:56 pm

I agree that financially they were able to fill their holes well.

However, I disagree that these signings will provide the same talent or even be an upgrade.

O'Dwyer has played 4 games each of the last 2 years. Even if healthy he isn't going to match what Rivera would have done, the article even mentions that he will only be competing for the starting job. Rivera is supposed to fully recover from surgery before camp and his health shouldn't be any more of an issue than O'Dwyers

Wahle is one of the best guards in the NFL and I don't think you can expect Klemm to be only a slight drop off.

The thing I'm really wondering about is how this will affect all the screens GB likes to use.

It looks like GB has a few nicely priced guards competing for the jobs and whoever wins the spots will do a decent job for a good price, but won't be anywhere near the level of those who left.

That's just my opinion.
Justin_Case
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby maddog60 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:04 pm

That sounds a bit hopeful when you're talking about losing two the best guards in the game, but for GB's sake they had better be only slight drop offs.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:08 pm

maddog60 wrote:That sounds a bit hopeful when you're talking about losing two the best guards in the game, but for GB's sake they had better be only slight drop offs.

In case you haven't noticed,after years of Favre prospering no matter what evil befell him,the Packer fans have grown eternally optimistic.Lambeau is Heaven,and no bad can happen in Heaven. ;-7
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby MadScott » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:39 pm

I don't remember who is the Oline coach in GB, but I've heard him touted highly. If he truly is that good of a coach, he should be able to plug in these new pieces with minimum dropoff. We'll see.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onepunch » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:47 pm

Larry Beightol is the offensive line coach and yes, he is one of the best. GB lost Timmerman to the Rams a few years back and never missed a beat. For cryin' out loud, the pack won the superbowl with something called a Jon Michels at LT. They never missed a beat with Verba moving on. GB, especially with Beightol, will be more than fine without Wahle and Marco. They will screen and trap less and do more up the gut, smashmouth style running. You adapt your style to your personnel. It's the defense that is in a lot of trouble. Time to move on. The line is fine. And GO BADGERS, GO PANTHERS!!!
onepunch
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:27 pm

Obviously Wahle can't really be replaced, but it looks like these are huge signings for the Pack. Maybe they won't be as bad as projected next year. O wait, I forgot that you have to play defense.....
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby onepunch » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:44 pm

I forgot that you have to play defense.....

EXACTLY!!! Everyone is focused on the line. It's just a couple of guards. It's the defense that could kill them if they don't get a DT (Shaun Cody, Antaj), DE (Tuck, if he drops some in the draft) to take pressure off of KGB, and a couple safteties because Roman just sucks. A MLB to move Barnett outside (Ruud, Mitchell, Morrison) would be nice too. The offense will suck not because of the guard play, but because they are 21 points behind by halftime. Favre will get killed because teams won't have to respect the run, again, not because of the guards.
onepunch
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk