Rules committee - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rules committee

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rules committee

Postby onepunch » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:14 pm

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/ ... ION=SPORTS

I'd love to see the NFL adopt the college rule of a 15 yard penalty for pass interference instead of where the foul is committed. I like all the proposals mentioned in paragraph 2.
onepunch
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:36 pm

Hmm, funny why KC would ask for some help on defensive pass interference penalties... ;-7

The flag replay thing would be OK...the cameras are always rolling and showing the coach throw it anyway. I'm sure they would be able to tell if he threw the flag before the ball is snapped.

A friend of mine and I both think that you should be allowed to challenge any call you want. Sure, it might slow the game down, but annoying "contact" rules can sometimes make a blatant fumble an unchallengable play. You don't necessarily have to give people unlimited challenges either. The 2 challenge, 2 right - 1 extra rule is good if you ask me. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:42 pm

I think the college rule is HORRIBLE, and would almost be tempted to stop watching.

What reason should the penalty be less than the thing you tried to prevent?

there would be no reason to NOT interfere on any bomb play. I knwo the game can't end on a defensive penalty, but you have a pretty good chance at getting away with the penalty, and if you don't, it is really only 15 yards.

Teams would use the penalty as a strategy -- so it would help the side of the ball the penalty was suppossed to harm.

Plus, on any of the 15 yards plus plays, both sides have had a fair shot at getting position -- if you have to interfere, you probably were beat anyway.

Doesn't make sense to me. It reminds me of how the foul in basketball almost becomes an asset for the defense in many situations. something that started out as a punsihemnt is now a tool to prevent baskets.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:48 pm

eaglesrule wrote:I think the college rule is HORRIBLE, and would almost be tempted to stop watching.

What reason should the penalty be less than the thing you tried to prevent?

there would be no reason to NOT interfere on any bomb play. I knwo the game can't end on a defensive penalty, but you have a pretty good chance at getting away with the penalty, and if you don't, it is really only 15 yards.

Teams would use the penalty as a strategy -- so it would help the side of the ball the penalty was suppossed to harm.

Plus, on any of the 15 yards plus plays, both sides have had a fair shot at getting position -- if you have to interfere, you probably were beat anyway.

Doesn't make sense to me. It reminds me of how the foul in basketball almost becomes an asset for the defense in many situations. something that started out as a punsihemnt is now a tool to prevent baskets.

I thought the exact same thing about the interference.It's a terrible idea,and the guy who even suggested proposing it should be "interfered" with.Blatantly.As far as what Mercer said about every play being challengable,I totally agree,except that no way it slows down the game if you keep the same amount of challenges.I bet there are alot of coaches that use the flag just because they can,or to get a longer clock stoppage anyway,but they would save them if they knew that contact rule was gone.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby MadScott » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:43 pm

Didn't the NFL have the 15 yard PI penalty just a few years ago? Perhaps I'm mistaken and it was college that had adopted the NFL rule. Regardless, IMO, the current NFL rule is the way to go. It should be a true penalty if you interfere with the ability to catch a pass. What would be the encouragement to really play defense if you simply give up 15 yards on a wide open pass play of 50+ yards? I think the big penalty makes teams play the game the correct way.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk