Owners should never meet... (Icing the kicker) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Owners should never meet... (Icing the kicker)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:44 am

Wait a second...this is for double time-outs called by the same team, not just "icing the kicker." Icing the kicker is calling time out right before he kicks it, not calling two time-outs in a row. I thought you weren't allowed to do that anyway! :-?

If they are just talking about any obvious FG situation, that is ludicrous. What happens if you accidentally (or intentionally }:-) ) had too many people on the field and had to call a time out...you wouldn't want to give the team 5 more yards and/or a first down!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:47 am

"31 nea's 1 yea?!!! Ahhh, who let Red McCombs vote?!!!"
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:07 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Wait a second...this is for double time-outs called by the same team, not just "icing the kicker." Icing the kicker is calling time out right before he kicks it, not calling two time-outs in a row. I thought you weren't allowed to do that anyway! :-?

This was how I took it as well.It is probably just a smaller penalty now,like 5 yards or something,and they just want to get the game moving a bit faster,and possibly get more game-winning FG's.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby petedog9 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:34 pm

[quote="The Miner Part 2"]"31 nea's 1 yea?!!! Ahhh, who let Red McCombs vote?!!!"[/quote]

LMAO!!! That was funny!
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:58 pm

This has got to be the dumbest rule proposal I have ever heard.

Who let Bud Selig into this meetings!! %-6
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen consequetive time outs called before to ice the kicker...

But honestly, who cares? I guess I'd be for it, but just because I'm impatient. :-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:29 pm

Personally, I wouldn't mind much if the vote goes either way, but I do believe that teams should have the right to use timeouts as they see fit.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:54 pm

Doesn't really matter to me. I think most kickers even suspect there will be a timeout to have more time to prepare. I am almost surprised more coaches DON'T call them to make the kicker go quicker.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Hmm..

Postby WeekSixteen » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:11 pm

I dont even think icing the kicker works anyways

It does work my friend, the 98 vikings are on the verge of putting away the falcons... falcons call a timeout and Gary Anderson has a few moments to ponder his perfect season.. he sets up, the kick, the attempt is wide.. resulting in an overtime loss to the falcons.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Re: Hmm..

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:24 pm

Jason X wrote:
I dont even think icing the kicker works anyways

It does work my friend, the 98 vikings are on the verge of putting away the falcons... falcons call a timeout and Gary Anderson has a few moments to ponder his perfect season.. he sets up, the kick, the attempt is wide.. resulting in an overtime loss to the falcons.

You could say that it was b/c of the icing but nobody really knows. He could have missed the field goal anyways. I think by giving the kicker more time to think about it actually helps him. He can take a few more practice kicks into the net and get himself more focused.

More time =more success anyway you look at it. If a QB has more time to make his throw, it helps. If an NBA players has more time to shoot the game winning shot, it helps.

If you don't call a timeout then he is rushed into the kick which, I think, he then has a higher probability of missing it.

-Just my two cents
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk