Owners should never meet... (Icing the kicker) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Owners should never meet... (Icing the kicker)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Hmm..

Postby petedog9 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:32 pm

[quote="Jason X"][quote]I dont even think icing the kicker works anyways[/quote]

It does work my friend, the 98 vikings are on the verge of putting away the falcons... falcons call a timeout and Gary Anderson has a few moments to ponder his perfect season.. he sets up, the kick, the attempt is wide.. resulting in an overtime loss to the falcons.[/quote]

I also rememer the Titans vs Steelers in the divisional round a few years ago. Titans ready for the game winning kick and the Steelers call a timeout right at the snap and got it. Meanwhile the kick goes through and all the fireworks go off. Then the kicker had to rekick and MISSED but flopped and got a roughing the kicker call so he got a 3rd chance and hit it..... FREAKIN KICKERS!!!

Later he admitted to acting that &%$^%#^%&^%$%.....

Nedney right?
Bastard!
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joshyboy72 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:44 pm

How could they seriously think about doing this? Icing the kicker is one of the greatest strategies in football...there's nothing wrong with it, it's a strategy, not cheating by any means. Both teams have the same number of time outs, how they decide to use them is their problem.

Mike Martz must be corrupting Tagliabue.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Re: Hmm..

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:53 pm

Jason X wrote:
I dont even think icing the kicker works anyways

It does work my friend, the 98 vikings are on the verge of putting away the falcons... falcons call a timeout and Gary Anderson has a few moments to ponder his perfect season.. he sets up, the kick, the attempt is wide.. resulting in an overtime loss to the falcons.

It might have worked on Kaeding, too, in the playoffs. he sure looked pretty tight. What bugs me is when the announcers always say "this is known as icing the kicker", like they're imparting some inside info.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:04 pm

the casual "only watch the playoffs" football fan might not know, or youngsters who just into the sport wouldn't either. As a result, we hear the same thing over and over.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MadScott » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:11 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:I dont even think icing the kicker works anyways, so i guess i kinda like this, because that way the next time im on the edge of my seat waiting for the possible game winning FG, i wont have to worry about waiting an extra minute :-#
Ask the Jets and the Steelers if icing the kicker works. :-o
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:25 pm

I can't remember the last time icing the kicker worked in the pros on any usual chipshot field goal. Maybe in college, but not in pro.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:25 pm

I love icing the kicker! It builds lots of drama if it is a game-winning or tying situation. I saw it work a few times last season too, most notably the playoff games the Jets played.

Don't pass this rule!
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RayVins » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:33 pm

Nilmerf wrote:I love icing the kicker! It builds lots of drama if it is a game-winning or tying situation. I saw it work a few times last season too, most notably the playoff games the Jets played.

Don't pass this rule!

exactly... i dont know why the nfl wants to get rid of it, it just makes their viewers watch longer. and if you, as an nfl kicker, cant make the kick after being "iced" then you dont deserve to make all that money kicking a football...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:19 pm

wow two time-outs in a row...whats the big deal? man has anyone watched the end of basically any NBA game? now that is problem that needs to be addressed.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 pm

What bugs me is TV timeouts before and after kickoff. You watch 2 minutes of commercials, 10 seconds of football, then 2 more minutes of commercials. At least, that's the way it was before NFL Season Ticket and fantasy football, now the remote is in constant use.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk