Davis' Pro Day - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Davis' Pro Day

Moderator: Football Moderators

Davis' Pro Day

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:44 am

Well, after Thomas Davis' (S/OLB, Georgia) combine workout, which was a few pounds over his playing weight and a 4.65 40-time, many predicted that he would be more likely a OLB prospect than the S he played at Georgia. Apparently, we were wrong.

Davis at his Pro Day improved drastically on his 40-time by running a 4.45, and only doing 13 reps on the bench. Because his speed has drastically improved (while his strength has decreased), he is once again the top safety prospect.

I think this may actually push him as high as the #10 pick (as Detroit is looking for an impact player in the secondary, particuarily at S). I am glad he has regained his quickness... he should be an excellent S in the NFL.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby onepunch » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:01 am

GEORGIA (March 22nd) junior safety/linebacker THOMAS DAVIS ran between 4.48 and 4.55 in the 40... did positional drills with the linebackers... also did some DB drills... still a 50/50 gauge of teams that prefer him at safety or linebacker... senior wide receiver REGGIE BROWN ran between 4.42 and 4.45 in the 40... some had him as fast as 4.39... senior wide receiver FRED GIBSON ran between 4.45 and 4.48 in the 40... some had him as fast as 4.42... junior linebacker ODELL THURMAN ran between 4.58 and 4.62 in the 40... some had him as fast as 4.55... has previously had private workouts with Green Bay and New England... will visit Chicago, Jacksonville and Seattle over the next few weeks... while Miami will come to work him out at the school next Wednesday... senior defensive end DAVID POLLACK did not run the 40-yard dash today, but did positional drills, as both a DE and LB... Carolina is one team that prefers him as a defensive end... while other 3-4 teams think he can convert to OLB... senior quarterback DAVID GREENE did not run the 40-yard dash today, but did positional and passing drills... threw some good balls... better velocity on some of this threws... was not always as accurate as he would have liked... all or most of the players that ran today and at the Combine improve their times, but besides having a "Fast" track at Georgia, all of the players ran with the wind at their back on both of their 40-yard dash attempts.

He didn't improve his time. It was wind aided on a fast track. This won't push him into the top 10. He'll be picked closer to 20th overall give or take a spot or two. He gets too lost in traffic and tries to run around the play instead of through people to make the tackle. O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D!!!
onepunch
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:00 pm

I really like this guy. Say what you want to say about the wind aiding him or it being the track, he ran a 4.48 and a 4.55...period. He is a great talent and will be a steal if he fell to #20, but I doubt it. Remember some of the games that are played in the NFL are outside in the wind.

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby terpfan » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:07 pm

Wow, thats a pretty drastic improvement. He probably just solidified himself as a top 20 pick. I'm thinking he will go to KC or New Orleans.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:23 pm

40 times are not that important for a safety. What IS important, is anticipating where to go on the field. I mean, Ed Reed ran a 4.57 coming out of college, which is around what Davis is averaging (sp?), and Ed Reed turned out to be a decent player :-D
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:27 pm

Yea and Im hoping T. Davis turns out to be "decent" if the Saints get him too. ;-D

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:42 pm

TheOneManShow 26 wrote:Yea and Im hoping T. Davis turns out to be "decent" if the Saints get him too. ;-D

Yea, I'm just saying that people should not put too much stock into the 40 yd dash. I mean, if he is running high 4.5s low 4.6s he is still REALLY fast. But it is his natural talent and work ethic that will determine how good a S he will be in the NFL.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:59 pm

I totally agree that S's should not be based on their 40 time. It is their instinct for the ball, the so called "ball hawk" instincts is what is needed, too bad there is no drill for that at the combine.

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk