Another reason to hate Haslett, this time for Steeler fans - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another reason to hate Haslett, this time for Steeler fans

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another reason to hate Haslett, this time for Steeler fans

Postby joshyboy72 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:03 am

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ ... 225534.htm

Dan Rooney wrote:Haslett, maybe it affected his mind.

:-b
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kevinoc81 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:20 am

Your link asks us to register. Maybe you can just copy and paste the article?
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joshyboy72 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:28 am

It was also on SportsCenter this morning, you might want to catch the next showing.

Posted on Fri, Mar. 25, 2005

Haslett: Steroids rampant in 1980s
MARY FOSTER
Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans coach Jim Haslett, a former linebacker, says he used steroids in the early 1980s, and claims the Pittsburgh Steelers' use of the drugs during Super Bowl championship seasons in the 1970s brought steroids into vogue around the NFL.
Haslett said Thursday that when he played, steroid use was rampant because the league had no policy banning such drugs.
"I talked about it to show how far our league has come," he said.
Haslett, the Steelers' defensive coordinator from 1997-99, made his initial remarks about his own use and accusations against the Steelers on Wednesday in Hawaii at the league's annual meeting.
"It started, really, in Pittsburgh," he said. "They got an advantage on a lot of teams. ..."
Steelers owner Dan Rooney, who ran the team during the 1970s, denied the Steelers pioneered steroid use in the NFL.
"This is totally false when he says it started with the Steelers in the '70s," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "(Then-coach) Chuck Noll was totally against it. ... Haslett, maybe it affected his mind."
Haslett, who played from 1979-1987, said he used steroids for one season early in his career.
He estimated half the league's players, and all its linemen, took steroids in the 1980s. The league began testing for steroids in 1987 and started using random, year-round drug testing in 1990.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby kevinoc81 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:38 am

What is up with the whislte blowers all of a sudden. First Canseco, now Haslett.

Can't these guys stop being little tattling sissies and keep this sh!t to themselves!
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:00 am

Yeah, I actually heard this on SC last night was surprised no one could find anything on it earlier...I was...busy (damn baseball :-b ).

I don't think we need a steroid story scandal in the NFL now. Please, please, no...The Baseball Cafe is littered with terrible threads about Bonds/steroids - I don't want that starting here. :,-(

Jon Kolb used to be a football coach at my college. I don't want to think he did that stuff... :-o
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby kevinoc81 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:24 am

I'm tired of hearing about steroids all together. Yes, a lot of people did them. Yes, it is morally wrong. Can we move on now!!!!!
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:52 am

Haslett is an ass...here's his apology.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7284735/
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Flux » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:00 pm

Hes such an idiot...
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:07 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:Haslett is an ass...here's his apology.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7284735/
I always was suspicious of that "dynasty". ;-7

Seriously though, didn't it come out a few years ago that Webster was a big time juicer? I seem to remember some stir involving him within the last few years.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ravage » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:39 pm

I've been watching the NFL a long time and I am surprised by the heat all of you and others are giving Haslett. I'd have to agree that a good share of the players in the 70s and 80s and maybe the 90s were roid users.

John Matuszak claimed that his brain tumor was caused by the use of steroids where he played. He died later, still a fairly young age, of heart failure which steroids was probably a contributor.

Steve Courson, who played for Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay claims that his steroid use was at least a partial cause of his cardiomyopathy. He also says a lot of the NFL players were using steroids.

Steroids were not even tested for in the NFL until 1989. If you don't believe there were a lot of guys taking them to compete I think you may have your head in the sand.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk