is Kerry Collins a viable starter in a 16 team league? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

is Kerry Collins a viable starter in a 16 team league?

Moderator: Football Moderators

is Kerry Collins a viable starter in a 16 team league?

Postby LBJackal » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:56 am

I'm in a 16 team league, and I decided to draft all of the other positions before QB because guys like Collins, Bledsoe, and Brady usually slip very far in the draft, due to the fact that they're not in the top 12, and are only taken as backups late in the draft.

Am I crazy for settling with Collins as my starter? My RB's are: Tiki and Stephen Davis, my WR's are: Bruce, Conway, and K-Rob, and Jerramy Stevens is my TE. I got Collins in the 7th round at pick #112, when the only other QB options were Ramsay/B.Johnson/Maddox. Was this a smart move, or am I doomed?

I think that Collins has a shot at throwing for more yards than any other QB this year. With Ike Hilliard and Amani Toomer healthy all year, Jeremy Shockey for short yardage and red zone catches, and Tiki Barber for a few dump offs that could end up as TD's or big yardage, I see Collins as a pretty good starter, who has shown he can throw for a lot of yards.

Will the TD's finally come? Is this a smart strategy to use? If so, why doesn't anybody ever draft Kerry Collins?
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: is Kerry Collins a viable starter in a 16 team league?

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:16 pm

lbjackal wrote:
I think that Collins has a shot at throwing for more yards than any other QB this year.

I didn’t think you were crazy until you said that! In a league that big you have to have a feel for when a QB run is starting and jump on board. Collins is a mediocre QB who, in prototypical NFL fashion, won’t win you too many games and won’t lose you to many. Probably won’t kill you, but your expectations are more that a little unrealistic. IMO.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:31 pm

lbjackal wrote:Am I crazy for settling with Collins as my starter?

No. You're not crazy.
lbjackal wrote:I think that Collins has a shot at throwing for more yards than any other QB this year.

Well - one out of 2 ain't bad.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:34 pm

moochman wrote:
lbjackal wrote:
I think that Collins has a shot at throwing for more yards than any other QB this year.

I didn?t think you were crazy until you said that!

Yeah, it seems a little far fetched, but of the 3 QB's ahead of Collins in passing yards last season, Collins is the only one with a legitimate reason to increase his yardage.

Gannon's receivers are another year older, and so is Gannon himself. And with Tim Brown not the elite receiver he once was, teams will focus more on Jerry Porter and I'm pretty sure Gannon wil have less yards than last year.

Drew Bledsoe has lost his #2 weapon Peerless Price, and that will make Moulds easier to cover. Josh Reed isn't nearly as good as Price YET, so I see Bledsoe's numbers drastically declining.

The only real threat IMO is Peyton Manning. Last year he only finished with 127 more passing yards than Collins. Not much has changed in Indianapolis, and Marvelous Marvin is still terrorizing opposing CB's.

With a full year of Ike Hilliard, and Jeremy Shockey having a full year of NFL experience, I believe that Collins will have the opportunity to surpass Manning, as well as all other NFL QB's this season.

Ya heard it here first!
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Adlaw » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:37 pm

Yes he could throw for for grand this year, and in a 16 team league thats cool. But you might try to beef up the wr's.
Adlaw
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LBJackal » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:49 pm

Adlaw wrote:you might try to beef up the wr's.

Really? I thought my WR's were already above average. I have a good #1 in Koren Robinson, and then Isaac Bruce at #2. Curtis Conway isn't that bad, especialy for a #3 WR in a 16 team league. The only two guys with a better trio than me have Jerome Bettis/Lamar Smith and Emmitt/Hambrick as their RB's, respectably (or NOT so respectably...). I think I did well to have those WR's, 2 great RB's, and still manage to have a QB who WILL THROW FOR MORE YARDS THAN ANY OTHER QB!
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TyceBunn » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:09 am

you have a strong team for a 16 team league
TyceBunn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LBJackal » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:38 am

Well, we're 9 weeks into the season, and it's time to check up on my prediction of Kerry Collins for #1 in passing yards: Hey, whaddaya ya know, I was right!

But the reason I'm posting this now as opposed to the end of the year is because Marc Bulger has a legitimate chance of passing Collins. But since everybody doubted me on my bold statement, I thought I'd rub it in a little.

However I'll stick by my words and remain confident that Collins can do it. And remember, YA HEARD IT HERE FIRST!
"This country was built on immigrants. We need them. Without them, who would train our tigers and kick our extra points?"

-Homer Simpson
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Ben_ffc » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:17 am

i did the same thing in my 12-team. too bad k-rob didn't pan out for you this year, but the premise was correct. i got collins in the 7th round and plummer in the 8th. this allowed me to secure s-davis, s-alexander, horn, mason and heap. the guys that jumped early on mcnabb, manning and favre cracked me up. those guys are great, sure, but rbs win you games. plain and simple.

good job. collins will only get more solid as the year progresses.

b
yeah...yes
Ben_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:48 pm

moochman wrote:
lbjackal wrote:

I didn’t think you were crazy until you said that! In a league that big you have to have a feel for when a QB run is starting and jump on board. Collins is a mediocre QB who, in prototypical NFL fashion, won’t win you too many games and won’t lose you to many. Probably won’t kill you, but your expectations are more that a little unrealistic. IMO.

he's first in the league right now.

Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Football Talk