Rolling dice with QB incumbents - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Chicago Bears

Rolling dice with QB incumbents

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rolling dice with QB incumbents

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:47 am

This was in the Chicago Tribune. The article is too long too post but here are some excerpts. (here is the link, you have to register: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... &cset=true )

At last weekend's fan convention and again at the owners meetings in Hawaii a few days ago, the Bears talked up Rex Grossman's rehabilitation from knee surgery.

But the decision not to pursue a veteran backup quarterback aggressively makes a huge statement about Hutchinson, who was out of football when Grossman was injured.

"I like Chad Hutchinson," coach Lovie Smith declared. "I like my future being tied up with him."

My comment: AAAAAAIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He will be one of our quarterbacks this year," Smith said. "And if he gets a chance to play, I think he can lead us to win after win. His teammates have a lot of faith in him."

For anyone fearing a repeat of the Jonathan Quinn fiasco, Smith offers this: "There's a difference between Chad and Jonathan Quinn."

:-o

That the Bears have brought in such experienced quarterbacks and declined to pursue any of them aggressively has left many an NFL watcher scratching his head. About all they accomplished was to give Warner, Fiedler and Johnson a tad more leverage in negotiations with other teams.

The Bears may just mean what they say. A month ago, Angelo said the Bears' new backup quarterback may be the "last man standing" at the end of the NFL's annual spring carousel of backup quarterbacks changing teams.

That certainly makes it seem like the whole quarterback situation is a lot less urgent to the Bears than it is to their fans.

Well, yeah.

Jeff Blake, the Eagles' No. 3 quarterback last year, remains the most interesting unsigned veteran. Rodney Peete, Carolina's opening-day starter as recently as 2003, also is among the 20 or so quarterbacks who were on rosters last season but don't have teams for 2004.

Here are some of the other names still out there: Kordell Stewart, Doug Flutie, Jeff George, Shane Matthews, Rick Mirer, Quinn and Chandler. All ex-Bears.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:06 am

Easily one of the worst run organizations in football.What did such enthusiastic,loyal fans do to deserve this?If Hutch is 2,then does that mean Krenzel will be our 3?For the minimum,wouldn't it have made more sense just to have George in the mix?Da Bears and Chicago weather,both are always changing,just usually not for the better.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby kevinoc81 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:12 pm

I still think they will sign Blake, King, Flutie, someone as a #3 with the ability to prove he is #2. Not the best thing, but if Warner/Fiedler/Johnson were all asking too much they wouldn't have been able to get Miller/Garza/Berlin. Who cares about the Berlin part, but you can't argue we needed the depth at O-Line!
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:54 pm

Seriously, couldn't they just go dig up the corpses of Jim Harbaugh and Mike Tomczak? They couldn't be any worse than what's left out there. :-P
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Chicago Bears