2005 RB situation.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2005 RB situation....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:35 pm

One last issue that I left out in that post.

Earlier you mentioned to me that Staley didn't count as a clearcut guy last year because, in your mind at least, Bettis was clearly going to spell him in goalline situations.

Yet, for your list, you count guys like Fred Taylor who are just as clearly spelled inside the 10. Which is it? It can't be both.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:02 pm

Okay, I just want to get all of the RB situations down on paper so here it goes:

BUF-McGahee
NYJets-C Martin
NE-Dillon
*MIA-?

IND-James
TENN-C Brown
JAX-F Taylor
HOU-D Davis

*PITT-RBBC-Bettis/Staley
BALT-Lewis
*CLE-RBBC?
CINN-R Johnson

DEN-Bell
SD-LT2
OAK-Jordan
KC-P Holmes
---------------------------------
NYG-T Barber
DAL-J Jones
WASH-Portis
+PHIL-Westbrook(possible RBBC)

*ATL-RBBC-Dunn/Duckett
TB-Pittman-draft pick?
*CAR-RBBC-Davis/Foster/draft?
NO-McCallister

*MINN-RBBC-Smith/Williams/Moore
GB-Green
CHI-T Jones
DET-K Jones

+STL-S Jackson
SEA-Alexander
SF-Barlow
*ARI-RBBC?-Shipp/draft?/trade?

So by my count, there are 7 uncertain or RBBC in the NFL for the 2005 season. I also denoted STL and PHIL if you want to count them as potential for possibly having a pseudo RBBC. Now keep in mind, ARI and MIA will probably have settled on either a trade or drafted a RB in the upcoming draft that will take 2 of the RBBCs away and someone may emerge in CAR, CLE or PITT that would again change the face of what this looks like.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Free Bagel wrote: You've got a young gifted RB who's said to get "8-10 carries a game" by some coach in camp (and we all know how reliable that is), but who's real value comes from the fact that they're backing up and oft-injured stud in a system that produces good RB numbers.

Weren't they saying the same things about Hollings getting a higher share of carries last year as well?I was dumb enough to buy into it and let DD slip while I took Jamal Lewis instead.Lewis killed me whereas DD could have at least put up something and helped me out.1 thing to say:COACHES LIE!!!! :-D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:15 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
Free Bagel wrote: You've got a young gifted RB who's said to get "8-10 carries a game" by some coach in camp (and we all know how reliable that is), but who's real value comes from the fact that they're backing up and oft-injured stud in a system that produces good RB numbers.

Weren't they saying the same things about Hollings getting a higher share of carries last year as well?I was dumb enough to buy into it and let DD slip while I took Jamal Lewis instead.Lewis killed me whereas DD could have at least put up something and helped me out.1 thing to say:COACHES LIE!!!! :-D

That's exactly my point.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:34 pm

MadScott wrote:Okay, I just want to get all of the RB situations down on paper so here it goes:

BUF-McGahee
NYJets-C Martin
NE-Dillon
*MIA-?

IND-James
TENN-C Brown
JAX-F Taylor
HOU-D Davis

*PITT-RBBC-Bettis/Staley
BALT-Lewis
*CLE-RBBC?
CINN-R Johnson

DEN-Bell
SD-LT2
OAK-Jordan
KC-P Holmes
NYG-T Barber
DAL-J Jones
WASH-Portis
+PHIL-Westbrook(possible RBBC)

*ATL-RBBC-Dunn/Duckett
TB-Pittman-draft pick?
*CAR-RBBC-Davis/Foster/draft?
NO-McCallister

*MINN-RBBC-Smith/Williams/Moore
GB-Green
CHI-T Jones
DET-K Jones

+STL-S Jackson
SEA-Alexander
SF-Barlow
*ARI-RBBC?-Shipp/draft?/trade?

So last year we've got going into the draft:

BUF-Henry
NYJets-C Martin
NE-Dillon
*MIA-? Gordon?

IND-James
TENN-C Brown
JAX-F Taylor
HOU-D Davis

PITT-Staley
BALT-Lewis
*CLE-RBBC-Green/Suggs
CIN-R Johnson

DEN-Griffin
SD-LT2
*OAK-RBBC-Wheatley/Zer
KC-P Holmes
NYG-T Barber
*DAL-? JJ/Eddie
WASH-Portis
PHIL-Westbrook (Buckhalter done for the year before the drafts)

*ATL-RBBC-Dunn/Duckett
+TB-Garner
CAR-Davis
NO-McCallister

MIN-Bennett
GB-Green
CHI-T Jones
DET-K Jones

STL-Faulk
SEA-Alexander
SF-Barlow
+ARI-Emmitt

----------------------------------------

I count 4 last year, counting Dallas (was JJ hurt before or after the drafts?), If you want to get picky you can try and and maybe argue the two I put +'s by, zona (Shipp was out for the year by the time drafts rolled around leaving Emmitt as the unquestioned #1, the biggest concern was his ability to stay healthy) and TB (though I still say that if we went back in time to this time last year and told you Michael Pittman was ever going to touch the ball again you'd all call me an idiot).

If you want to try and discout Minn or Pitt from last year (goalline vultures) then you'd have to take out Taylor this year.

So even IF zona and Miami both get sure fire feature backs and cut all the other RB's on their team, we're looking at about even, we certainly don't have all this crazy extra depth out there that people have the misconception of. Also keep in mind that if Chitown goes with Benson like a lot of mocks have them going, then that's going to create another dead situation this year.

Now, there is always the possibility that some of these RBBC's might get cleared up by injury before the drafts start, like if Droughns tore his ACL or something.

But even still, we're right around even here. I'm not sure where all these phantom extra backs are coming from.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:20 pm

Hey Plindsey, good to have ya back. Your new list seems pretty common. I think you made to many sacrifices from your original list. You moved ahman up a ton, which I agree with, plus you made a bunch of other changes. I'd strive for a mixture of your current and your original list.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:19 pm

I'm not wasting anymore time on this topic. Just trying to help others out here a little. All I care is that I know what I'm talking about (I must, I dominated a 12 team league last year with many knowledgable fantasy players, including you).

I've addressed my points; take from it what you will.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:51 pm

Azrael wrote:(I must, I dominated a 12 team league last year with many knowledgable fantasy players, including you).

Ooooh you won a league somebody break out the crown you're the only person here that won a league last year..

Sorry to break it to you, but that league was about #7 on my list, frankly I'm not sure how I didn't finish dead last seeing as how I don't think I made a single FA pickup all year in it and changed my lineup maybe 4 times.

Though I definitely agree this topic has played itself out and people can easily base their opinions based on the points and counterpoints (*cough* to those issues that were counter-addressed *cough*) here.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Santacruzer » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:52 am

Free Bagel wrote:Sorry to break it to you, but that league was about #7 on my list, frankly I'm not sure how I didn't finish dead last seeing as how I don't think I made a single FA pickup all year in it and changed my lineup maybe 4 times.

Sounds like you must have lost intrest when you realized you drafted poorly, and had no chance to recover ;-) . It just looks like an excuse to me.

yeah, I'm done with this too (insert head banging against wall here).
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:30 am

Free Bagel wrote:
Sorry to break it to you, but that league was about #7 on my list, frankly I'm not sure how I didn't finish dead last seeing as how I don't think I made a single FA pickup all year in it and changed my lineup maybe 4 times.

Simply speaking, this is pure loser talk. That's ok. You probably won a couple of your "other leagues".

Better get that cough checked.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk