2005 RB situation.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2005 RB situation....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:35 am

Free Bagel wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:
Free Bagel wrote: You've got a young gifted RB who's said to get "8-10 carries a game" by some coach in camp (and we all know how reliable that is), but who's real value comes from the fact that they're backing up and oft-injured stud in a system that produces good RB numbers.

Weren't they saying the same things about Hollings getting a higher share of carries last year as well?I was dumb enough to buy into it and let DD slip while I took Jamal Lewis instead.Lewis killed me whereas DD could have at least put up something and helped me out.1 thing to say:COACHES LIE!!!! :-D

That's exactly my point.

Hindsight is 20/20, you would have had to be a damn fool last year to take DD over Jamal Lewis.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:56 pm

Free Bagel wrote:So last year we've got going into the draft:

BUF-Henry
NYJets-C Martin
NE-Dillon
*MIA-? Gordon?

IND-James
TENN-C Brown
JAX-F Taylor
HOU-D Davis

PITT-Staley
BALT-Lewis
*CLE-RBBC-Green/Suggs
CIN-R Johnson

DEN-Griffin
SD-LT2
*OAK-RBBC-Wheatley/Zer
KC-P Holmes
---------------------------------
NYG-T Barber
*DAL-? JJ/Eddie
WASH-Portis
PHIL-Westbrook (Buckhalter done for the year before the drafts)

*ATL-RBBC-Dunn/Duckett
+TB-Garner
CAR-Davis
NO-McCallister

MIN-Bennett
GB-Green
CHI-T Jones
DET-K Jones

STL-Faulk
SEA-Alexander
SF-Barlow
+ARI-Emmitt

----------------------------------------

I count 4 last year, counting Dallas (was JJ hurt before or after the drafts?), If you want to get picky you can try and and maybe argue the two I put +'s by, zona (Shipp was out for the year by the time drafts rolled around leaving Emmitt as the unquestioned #1, the biggest concern was his ability to stay healthy) and TB (though I still say that if we went back in time to this time last year and told you Michael Pittman was ever going to touch the ball again you'd all call me an idiot).

If you want to try and discout Minn or Pitt from last year (goalline vultures) then you'd have to take out Taylor this year.

So even IF zona and Miami both get sure fire feature backs and cut all the other RB's on their team, we're looking at about even, we certainly don't have all this crazy extra depth out there that people have the misconception of. Also keep in mind that if Chitown goes with Benson like a lot of mocks have them going, then that's going to create another dead situation this year.

Now, there is always the possibility that some of these RBBC's might get cleared up by injury before the drafts start, like if Droughns tore his ACL or something.

But even still, we're right around even here. I'm not sure where all these phantom extra backs are coming from.
Okay, first off Bagel, I just want to make it clear, that I'm not arguing just to argue here and I hope that you don't take it that I'm attacking you. Simply put, I'm just conversing here.

Now I've got some problems with the list you came up with last year. First, when drafting last year, there was much question as to whether Denver was going to be starting Bell or Griffin right up until Bell got hurt in the preseason. Many folks, especially in leagues that draft real early grabbed Bell.

Carolina is another one that you said was not RBBC last year. Going into the year, it was all over the net that carries were going to be split up to 50% for Davis and Foster so I don't see how that was solidified with one guy by draft time.

Next, I'm sure we all remember how great Dayne looked in the preseason with the Giants and how hot everyone was about him running in Coughlin's offense and time sharing with Tiki. That wasn't settled when the season started.

Finally, a strong case could be made that the MINN job was as dicey last year as it is this year. Bennett was supposed to be the starter, but with Smith and Williams figuring in prominently.

By my count, that's at least 7 committees and 8 if you count MINN.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk