Ricky Williams vows to stop smoking pot! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ricky Williams vows to stop smoking pot!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:37 pm

I dont really understand some of the comments made here. Do you guys have stats on just how much he smokes a day? Why cant he give it up? Maybe he only did it once in a while anyway. Nobody really knows how much he smoked per day (except Lenny Kravitz :-b ). Just because he retired doesnt mean he smokes a lot of pot. We all know he does it, thats obvious. But maybe he only did it casually. I mean, its possible that he smoked a gram a day all to himself. I think its a bit presumptious of us to assume he cant do it.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby husker_fanatic » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:34 pm

have you ever heard him talk, he smokes alot of pot. he admits it
husker_fanatic
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby JohnnyUnitas » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:44 pm

Ricky Williams vows to stop smoking pot!

Yeah and Bill Clinton vowed that he "did not have sexual relations with that woman, miss Lewinsky"!
:-B
JohnnyUnitas
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Keyser_WV » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:45 pm

Anyone can quit, no matter how much they smoke. It's not like cigarettes. You aren't physically addicted. It's more mental than anything.

I smoked ALOT of pot on a daily basis all through my 20's. I got married, had kids and quitting was obviously the right thing to do.

It was a little difficult at first but after the first couple weeks it wasn't even a thought anymore.

If he truly wants to play then quitting won't be a problem at all.

He did quit on his team and he has a long road ahead of him in proving that he is a team player.

I hope he comes back because he is one of the best RB's around.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby chaindog35 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:57 pm

i can't stand ricky. what a loser
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Tyr » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:11 am

I tend to agree with Portis and Keyser..

What he did was wrong, on a professional and legal level, but who are we to say how wrong it was or how bad of a person he is?

It's very well known that even being around someone that is smoking will give you a "contact high". Even something as meaningless as a contact high, even though you didn't touch or actually smoke marijuana, is detectable for a good three weeks after it happens. With more modern testing methods (such as the hair based DNA tests) it can be discovered much later on.

While I certainly don't think that drug usage is even remotely acceptable when you're supposed to be a role model and community icon, I also don't think something as small as marijuana/thc/opiate detection is something that should be demonized.

If you eat a poppy bagel a day, you test positive for opiates. People think this is a joke due to the Seinfeld episode, but it's very very true.

If you drink Coca Tea (a completely legal and health friendly drink that can be found at almost any health or herbal product store) on a daily basis, you may test positive for cocaine use.

If you breath in (even if you just happen to be walking into a dorm room where Marijuana was recently smoked) THC tainted smoke, you will test positive for marijuana use.

Frankly, I think drug testing is ludicrous. I am a strong proponent of RAISING the legal limits currently used in drug tests to a more obvious limit. As drug testing is today, even the remotest trace elements of most "drugs" will show up, and in many cases those trace elements are not proof of drug use, but of potentially being in unwilling or unknowing contact with a drug user, or of harmless medications or consumption of foods/products that are loosely affiliated to the more narcotic members of their family.

Anyhow, the real point was if Ricky wants to quit, he will go clean. I sincerely doubt that everyone casting stones can maintain their own complete innocence.
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby myintrotoletyouknow » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:35 pm

"contact highs"(never actually heard of someone getting one) and walking into a dorm room after someone has smoked in there will not make you fail a drug test.

while drug tests can be a little too sensitive(poppy seed bagels), i dont think theyre that sensitive. i smoke about 3/4 of an ounce a week(for about 1.5 years) and recently passed a drug test after 3 days of sobriety... now i didnt eat anything, drank a lot of water, and took a lot of niacin but if i can pass, i doubt someone who doesnt smoke at all will test positive simply from sitting in a car or dorm room with smokers.

and im sure ricky will quit if he wants to, but it may not be as easy as keyser said. pot is more psychologically addictive than physically and since a lot of people think, including me, he smoked to deal with mental problems(SAD, depression?), he could have a hard time. best of luck to him.
myintrotoletyouknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jdogg_ffc » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:36 pm

Much more easy to quit pot than cigs.

I know been their done that.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby My Cat Is A Moron » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:58 am

I just think he's crazy to do this. I mean, he's considered one of the top running backs in the NFL - how many times do you get to be considered one of the best in the world at what you do? He is turning his back on the chance to be one of the best of the best in his profession for smoking pot, and that's really too much.

I mean, as a functional alcoholic, I'm not one to judge, but really he's got the rest of his life to nurse his knees and get as high as he wants to. Why turn your back on a promising NFL career for this?

At any rate, I'd be surprisied if anyone wants him now. Minimal salary with loads of performance incentives in any contract - on the other hand, if he accepts the veteran's minimum, what does any team have to lose by accepting?
My Cat Is A Moron
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Keyser_WV » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:17 am

he smoked to deal with mental problems(SAD, depression?)

I agree with you about the reason he smoked was due to anxiety type issues.

He could always get on Prozac or some of the other prescription drugs out there to help him cope.

I truly think he will be back. Probably not with the Dolphins but he will not be able to pass up the money. It's easy to say money is no big deal until you go without it for a while.

He has kids he needs to take care of so hopefully he gets it together.

It's easy for people to call him a head case or whatever but most of his problems are due to anxiety and if he gets help with that he will be ok.

NOTE: I am not a doctor, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;-D
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk