Anyone else here listen to hip-hop? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Anyone else here listen to hip-hop?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone else here listen to hip-hop?

Postby CC » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:23 pm

Whenever there is conversation regarding music around here, rap is not well-represented. I know that my boy King Ghidra appreciated good rap, as such an obvious fan of MF Doom and co. must, but I was wondering if anyone else is into it at all.

I'm pretty knowledgeable and have lots of good recommendations but I'm always willing to learn more and get some new tunes.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:26 pm

guess it didnt matter anyways :-?
Last edited by deluxe_247 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:26 pm

I apprecriate rap, especially the 90's stuff, like BIG and 2pac. I think it's cool how much sales they generate, and the meaningfulness of their music. In terms of newer rap, it's pretty much JayZ and Kanye West. I liek Kanye West because he raps about not normal rap things, like he doesn't rap about and people and I think that's cool. Note I also like rock too. And the best of both worlds is N.E.R.D. or Sublime, which is a mixture. Cool to see that someone else appreciates it too.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Manja » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:27 pm

I listen to rap/hip-hop.. but mostly the stuff from the '90s.. Sporting Gang Star and Dr. Dre, along with Tupac. The Roots are the only recent rap group that I listen to, besides Eminem.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:41 pm

My favourite Hip-Hop CD's:

Nas - Illmatic
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
The Roots - Do You Want More?!!!??!
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
GZA - Liquid Swords
Notorious BIG - Ready To Die
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Black Star
Eric B. and Rakim - Paid in Full

I also like nearly anything produced by DJ Premier (Gang Starr), and a lot of the stuff by OutKast and Common Sense over the years, but neither of them have made a solid album that stands out.

However, I haven't listened to any of that lately.. as I'm currently on a 60's-70's rock phase since I bought an electric guitar. I'll dust it off sometime though.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:57 pm

All good stuff, I listen to mostly older rap, especially 92-98 kind of range. I don't like most of the stuff you here on the radio these days (exception: The Game, Eminem, Nas and a few others) and I listen to a ton of underground stuff.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:57 pm

Nilmerf wrote:My favourite Hip-Hop CD's:

Nas - Illmatic
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
The Roots - Do You Want More?!!!??!
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
GZA - Liquid Swords
Notorious BIG - Ready To Die
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Black Star
Eric B. and Rakim - Paid in Full

I also like nearly anything produced by DJ Premier (Gang Starr), and a lot of the stuff by OutKast and Common Sense over the years, but neither of them have made a solid album that stands out.

However, I haven't listened to any of that lately.. as I'm currently on a 60's-70's rock phase since I bought an electric guitar. I'll dust it off sometime though.

Dammit Nilmerf, you listed a ton of my fave hip-hop stuff. Dig the Gang Starr too - he's one of the best, methinks.

Anyway, I don't pretend to know a lot about this kind of music (more of a rock kind of guy), but I'm always interested in seeing some new recommendations. ;-D
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Tiki » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:18 pm

Only have 3 of those Cds Nilmerf Black Star,36 Chambers and Illmatic. I have to say 36 chambers is one of the best in Rap CDs. C.R.E.A.M is prolly one of the best songs out there. I suggest that everyone DL it I know people who hate rap but like, that song.

My fav rappers- Nas, Jay-Z, Tupac, Ludacris, NWA, Slim, Atmosphere, Pete Rock and CL smooth, Snoop Dogg, Del The Funkee Homosapien AKA Deltron.

Now I know that there are a lot of Ludacris haters but all I can say is how many people can put out as many hits as him?

On the MF Doom subject I got to hear from a brief moment Him Mos Def and De la soul in concert down in Miami. I walked by the club where they were rapping away I stayed for a few mins. outside I just lingered around pretending I was lost, but then had to leave.

Edit- I suggest 36 chambers-CREAM, 7th Chamber, Shame on a N****, Method Man.
Black Star-Definition Re:Defintion and Theives in the knight
Deltron 3030-Mastermind, Virus, Turbulance along with these but as Del the funkee homosapien-Dr.Bombay Mr. Doblina, and Proto culture
Wu-Tang Forever- Disk One Its yours and Maria disk Two Truimph Bells of war
Now thats a lot of songs but they are the best on their CDs and are kinda underground. Wu Tang isnt but they were hot for like one year then died down...
There are a few more I am just at a blank cause I dont got their CDs....
Last edited by Tiki on Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CKY_ROX » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:23 pm

Im a little bit of a rap guy myself. I dont generally listen to any populaor rap ( with some exceptions, like Ludacris, and OutKast) but more of the alternitive rap ( like Jurrasic 5, DIalarted peoples, and others)

Some of the more undergroup Rap that im into right now with a good song by them
Brother Ali - Forest Whitiker
Aesop Rock - Daylight
Cage - Agent Orange
Dizzee Rascal - Learn
DJ Honda - Trouble in the Water
Jurrasic 5 - If you only knew
Souls of mischief - 93 till infinity
Pep Love - Warrior Dance, Fight Club

Ive got a little more, but those are more redally avalable on P2P stuff. Im also open to other artists, like Vickor Vaughn AKA MF Doom, whoh is pretty sick, but he was already mentioned.

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:28 pm

I listen to all music and am a pretty big fan of rap although I'm kind of partial to the early stuff from the 80's...hell,I used to breakdance. :-)
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk