Overall Rankings 2005 (through 4 rounds).... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Overall Rankings 2005 (through 4 rounds)....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mtryanks12 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:50 pm

Best choice: Corey Dillon early.

Mistakes (IMO):
-SA over LT2
-Gates and Gonzo late
-Fred Taylor over Torry Holt and other strong RB's??
-Tiki and KJ over Randy Moss??
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:41 pm

All I know is I only see one QB picked in the first round on this list...and I like that (especially to see him on there a little later in the first). ;-D Of course, had Randy stayed there might be two, but Culpepper's worth took a huge shot when he lost his main man.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:46 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:All I know is I only see one QB picked in the first round on this list...and I like that (especially to see him on there a little later in the first). ;-D Of course, had Randy stayed there might be two, but Culpepper's worth took a huge shot when he lost his main man.

A HUGE shot... Although I still like C-Pepp, I don't think he is anywhere near the first round (and maybe not even the second) without Moss...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:42 am

I'm amazed that I continually see pre-rankings and mock drafts that don't start 1. L. Tomlinson 2. P. Holmes.

We are all fantasy veterans and shouldn't even need to debate why LT is number one.

And as for Holmes, yes, Priest is coming off injury and he may share a few carries with Larry Johnson, but he's still the most dangerous player in football when he's on the field. This is a guy who had 892 yards rushing, 187 yards receiving, and 15 TDs in only 8 games last year!
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby MadScott » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:00 pm

The Lung wrote:I'm amazed that I continually see pre-rankings and mock drafts that don't start 1. L. Tomlinson 2. P. Holmes.

We are all fantasy veterans and shouldn't even need to debate why LT is number one.

And as for Holmes, yes, Priest is coming off injury and he may share a few carries with Larry Johnson, but he's still the most dangerous player in football when he's on the field. This is a guy who had 892 yards rushing, 187 yards receiving, and 15 TDs in only 8 games last year!
Shhh!! Don't let the cat out of the bag Lung, I'm hoping to snag Priest at #3 in a draft. I too think that he could be the steal of the draft this season based on short term memory.

Kensat, excellent point and I completely agree. I think this season, you also now have to factor in that Jordan isn't there to steal carries from CMart.

Plindsey, just curious, I know that the depth of the starting RB pool is being heavily debabted in your RB 2005 thread, but do you perceive this overall depth and if so, wouldn't it affect QBs and WRs in that they would probably bounce up the list a bit more than what is being portrayed?
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kevinoc81 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:03 pm

MadScott wrote:
The Lung wrote:I'm amazed that I continually see pre-rankings and mock drafts that don't start 1. L. Tomlinson 2. P. Holmes.

Shhh!! Don't let the cat out of the bag Lung, I'm hoping to snag Priest at #3 in a draft. I too think that he could be the steal of the draft this season based on short term memory.

Kensat, excellent point and I completely agree. I think this season, you also now have to factor in that Jordan isn't there to steal carries from CMart.

Plindsey, just curious, I know that the depth of the starting RB pool is being heavily debabted in your RB 2005 thread, but do you perceive this overall depth and if so, wouldn't it affect QBs and WRs in that they would probably bounce up the list a bit more than what is being portrayed?

The bold part is what scares people away! What good is a guy who only plays 8 games? Especially when it's the first eight and not the last eight. I agree that he is the best fantasy back when healthy, but health is definately an issue there!
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:18 pm

MadScott wrote:

This year there are a lot of starting backs to choose from, but I don't see any more studs out there than usual.... If anything, I see less... This year, the only 2 guys I think you can hang your hopes on are LT2 and SA.... Pretty much every other back after those two could be good or could completely suck (see Kevan Barlow 2004).... There IS a second tier of guys (Edge, Priest, Dillon, Ahman, Jamal Lewis) that we would expect to be OK, but all have issues hanging over their heads... For Priest and Dillon it's age... For Edge, it is a change of team.... For Ahman and Lewis it is their underperformance last year.... And then after them are all the young guys who played decently last year, but are still a little young to have complete confidence in.... And then after those guys you have C-Mart and Fred, who realistically could be GREAT sleepers this year, but who are hard to have faith in because of age issues....

So the depth, in terms of number of feature backs, is better this year, but the depth in terms of stud backs in whom you can have confidence is much less....

All of that being said, none of it really changes the essential dynamics of Fantasy Football... There are still 32 starting RB slots in the NFL.... And some of those will be RBBC, effectively killing the value of those backs.... This year there is less RBBC than previous years, but STILL there are a handful of teams that will run it.... At least to the extent of having one back who gets all the yards, and another who steals the TD's (Pittsburgh and Jacksonville for example)....

So, let's say when you subtract out the RBBC teams we are left with 24 feature backs.... In a 12 team league, that means there are 2 RB's to go around per team.... And most of them will be gone after midway through round three....

So, while we may be a little deeper at RB this year, the known quality backs are even shallower than what we were predicting for last year, and you still have to nail down 2 good backs by the 25th - 30th pick of the draft if you want to have much of a chance...

Put simply, NO, I don't think that the RB "depth" this season should drastically change the way we rank RB's as compared to WR's or QB's....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:20 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:So the depth, in terms of number of feature backs, is better this year

Not....true....misconception....must....hold....back
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:22 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:So the depth, in terms of number of feature backs, is better this year

Not....true....misconception....must....hold....back

Maybe it just seams that way because there were so many question marks in the league this time last year....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to Football Talk