Matt Jones, a freak??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matt Jones, a freak???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:58 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Eagles draft Matt Jones IMO. They got the picks to burn and Matt Jones looks like a project player to me. Too early of a pick for most teams, but the Eagles have so many picks..... Goes hand in hand with Mort's other lover. Of course he's going to the Eagles..

Though I still favor the Eagles trading up for Mike Williams, if they don't I'd be giddy at them drafting Matt Jones with one of their first two picks. Make the other one a power RB or maybe a tackle like Kalif Barnes who can learn a year, then step in for Runyan or Thomas should they decline in skill by the year after.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Santacruzer » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:10 pm

terpfan wrote:
Santacruzer wrote:I'm really hoping he puts on a Lions uniform, but I can't see him making to the 41st pick. In the next 3 weeks will he climb to the 10th pick (Detroit's 1st)?
;-D

I doubt that. I can't see a guy who never played the position in college that he will in the pros get picked in the top half of the first...

I doubt that too, that's why I hoping the lions get another late 1st round pick. I didn't think that he would have been a problem with the 41st pick a little while ago, other than it may have been a stretch and a bit early for the exact same reasons as you mentioned. But that seem to be changing :-)
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mastiff » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:05 pm

ravage wrote:On the other side of the fence. I've heard he has some attitude problems. Refuses to learn to block. Doesn't like to work out etc.

Matt already knows how to block. Arkansas ran quite a bit of option plays, and he blocked downfield. If you mean he doesn't want to run block as a TE, you're correct... because he doesn't want to play TE.

He was in the weight room as much as anyone, as well... He's just a very laid back kind of guy.
Mastiff
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby PSU All Day » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:02 am

I doubt that the Eagles will take Jones in the first round. the Eagles are very cap aware and drafting a player that is developmental in the first round is not a good cap move.

The Eagles have not had a lot of success drafting WR's early and if they decide to go for a WR in the first round it will be someone that they are absolutely sure can come in and make a difference this year. They need a WR to replace Freddie Mitchel. Pinkston has alligator arms but he does stretch the field effectively. They need a slot receiver who can get open and can get yards after the catch.

I doubt they will trade up to get Mike Williams because they will have to go too far to get him. I would like to see them move up to get Clayton if they don't have to go too far.

If they don't move up look for them to address the DL or LB position at 31 and then RB/WR in the second round depending upon who is still available (they might wait until rd 3 to address RB as there are some quality players who could slide with the depth at the position).
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Lushcrush » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:06 am

ESPN's Chris Mortenson, our favorite NFL insider, says Matt Jones is the "best player in the draft" ... Looks like ESPN and NFL Films agree to some degree. They will both have film crews at his home on draft day.
Hopefully the Cowgirls feel the same way so I can watch him play on Sundays ;-D
"Bledsoe to Jones in the endzone ..... TOUCHDOWN!!!"

Read the article here
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:41 pm

PSU All Day wrote:I doubt that the Eagles will take Jones in the first round. the Eagles are very cap aware and drafting a player that is developmental in the first round is not a good cap move.

The Eagles have not had a lot of success drafting WR's early and if they decide to go for a WR in the first round it will be someone that they are absolutely sure can come in and make a difference this year. They need a WR to replace Freddie Mitchel. Pinkston has alligator arms but he does stretch the field effectively. They need a slot receiver who can get open and can get yards after the catch.

I doubt they will trade up to get Mike Williams because they will have to go too far to get him. I would like to see them move up to get Clayton if they don't have to go too far.

If they don't move up look for them to address the DL or LB position at 31 and then RB/WR in the second round depending upon who is still available (they might wait until rd 3 to address RB as there are some quality players who could slide with the depth at the position).

Eagle's rookies only started something like 2 games combined last year. The Eagles are a Super Bowl contending team year in and year out and don't have many needs that can be immediately filled by rookie players, especially at the skill positions, and even more especially at the bottom of the first round.

ALL Eagle's rookies are developmental players.... and at the bottom of the first round the price for signing a guy is nowhere near the lottery picks at the top half of the first round. I don't know why you talk about a #31 pick WR having some a huge burden on the salary cap. Besides a meager signing bonus, this guy is going to be playing for the NFL minimum salary for multiple years!

Name me any WR who is guaranteed to come in and make a difference in year 1, irregardless of draft position. If I'm drafting a WR at the bottom of the first, I look for potential over "sure thing value". Matt Jones is being talked up as the best athlete in this year's draft, so why would you pass him up at the bottom of the first round if you have no immediate other needs? All rookie picks are based on NFL potential, because there is no sure thing value in the rookie draft.... half of these guys will fail in the NFL.

If I have 12+ picks in this years NFL draft and I've been to 4 consecutive Conference Championship Games... I wouldn't be afraid of taking risks with any of my picks. Especially if it means I can land the most physically imposing prospect in this year's draft at the bottom of the first round.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby MCG321 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:04 pm

Eagle's rookies only started something like 2 games combined last year.

Well, Shawn Andrews would've likely started the whole season if he didn't get hurt. :~(
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:28 pm

MCG321 wrote:
Eagle's rookies only started something like 2 games combined last year.

Well, Shawn Andrews would've likely started the whole season if he didn't get hurt. :~(

But that was only due to Welbourn causes ruckus on practically draft day, forcing the Eagles to scramble to fill his spot. Likely they were taking Andrews originally to play backup for one year, then to step into Mayberry's spot this year with a year of learning under his belt to prepare him. I wouldn't be surprised if they use a 2nd rounder on an OT, just because they're planning on Runyan not being resigned next year.

I would agree though, that the Eagles first rounders have all been developmental players. Mitchell was a 1st rounder we threw all of 4 passes to in his first two years. Sheppard and Brown were the first two picks we took in one draft and spent practically two years on the bench. McDougle is another guy, we don't play too often (mainly from injury), but when healthy has only been used situationally yet, he's been in developement.

Having another pick 3 picks after their first rounder, I wouldn't hesitate to take Jones, the best athlete, who if he's a quick learner could possibly give them the one thing they lack (a solid #2 WR), or possibly replace Chad Lewis as another pass catching TE. He really fits their needs well, the question is, how long until you can play him? Which is why I think they trade up and grab Mike Williams, then let him learn from TO how a big physical WR gets it done at the NFL level.

Of course, trading up would cost alot, but the Eagles have extra 2nd and 3rd round picks, and Corey Simon to dangle at any team looking to trade down. Heck, with their 4 compensation picks, they can offer a good deal of 2nd day picks to sweeten the deal instead of Simon, who might not negotiate a cap friendly contract. With Miami in rebuilding, desperate for picks, same with Tennessee, who will likely need to cut someone just to sign they're #6 overall, the Eagles should have an opportunity to trade up and draft Williams, its just a matter of cost.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby PSU All Day » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:43 am

[quote="Kensat30"][quote="PSU All Day"]I doubt that the Eagles will take Jones in the first round. the Eagles are very cap aware and drafting a player that is developmental in the first round is not a good cap move.

If they don't move up look for them to address the DL or LB position at 31 and then RB/WR in the second round depending upon who is still available (they might wait until rd 3 to address RB as there are some quality players who could slide with the depth at the position).[/quote]

Eagle's rookies only started something like 2 games combined last year. The Eagles are a Super Bowl contending team year in and year out and don't have many needs that can be immediately filled by rookie players, especially at the skill positions, and even more especially at the bottom of the first round.

ALL Eagle's rookies are developmental players.... and at the bottom of the first round the price for signing a guy is nowhere near the lottery picks at the top half of the first round. I don't know why you talk about a #31 pick WR having some a huge burden on the salary cap. Besides a meager signing bonus, this guy is going to be playing for the NFL minimum salary for multiple years!

Name me any WR who is guaranteed to come in and make a difference in year 1, irregardless of draft position. If I'm drafting a WR at the bottom of the first, I look for potential over "sure thing value". Matt Jones is being talked up as the best athlete in this year's draft, so why would you pass him up at the bottom of the first round if you have no immediate other needs? All rookie picks are based on NFL potential, because there is no sure thing value in the rookie draft.... half of these guys will fail in the NFL.

If I have 12+ picks in this years NFL draft and I've been to 4 consecutive Conference Championship Games... I wouldn't be afraid of taking risks with any of my picks. Especially if it means I can land the most physically imposing prospect in this year's draft at the bottom of the first round.[/quote]

You have some good points about no guarantees with first round WR's. I think that is why if you take a WR in the first round you better make sure that you are sure that he is going to produce. There is just not enough body of evidence that Matt Jones will be any better than any of the guys that will be picked after him.

As you point out, the WR transition from college to the NFL is dificult for even the absolute best college WR's. Why do we think that Matt Jones, who has 0 college WR experience will be able to grasp it in time to make a difference for Philly? The Eagles need a playmaker now. They need someone that is going to come in and at least be productive. They don't need a 1,000 yard 10 TD guy in year one. They just need a more reliable option than Freddie Mitchel.

There are plenty of examples of "work out wonders" who have bombed in the NFL. The Eagles have a perfect example of one in Mike Mamula. He had one of the best workouts of any defense end ever and then just could not produce on the field.

I would rather take the guy who has a body of work that you can evaluate then a project player with a world of talent. Keep in mind that the best WR in the history of the NFL was not the fastest or talest or best leaper. It was a relatively slow player named Jerry Rice.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Santacruzer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:23 am

I guess we will have to wait and see.....

I agree that workout #'s can over-rate some people, and you have to look at the other things, as you mentioned.

BUT....I would still love for Detroit to pick this guy up. Even if he came in to play QB. His college #'s were about the same as Ron Mexico's (Vick :-) ).
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk