Online gamer killed for selling cyber sword. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Online gamer killed for selling cyber sword.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Online gamer killed for selling cyber sword.

Postby Guttpuppy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:55 pm

A Shanghai online game player has stabbed to death a competitor who sold his cyber sword for real money.

The sale created a legal dilemma because China has no law covering the ownership of virtual weapons.

The China Daily newspaper reported that a Shanghai court was told Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan repeatedly in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his dragon sabre, used in the popular online game Legend of Mir 3,

The online game features heroes and villains, sorcerers and warriors, many of whom wield enormous swords.

Qiu and a friend jointly won their virtual weapon last February and lent it to Zhu, who then sold it for 7,200 yuan.

Qui went to the police to report the theft but was told the weapon was not real property protected by law.

"Zhu promised to hand over the cash but an angry Qui lost patience and attacked Zhu at his home, stabbing him in the left chest with great force and killing him," the court heard.

'Private property'

Newspaper reports on the incident did not specify the charge against Qiu but said he had given himself up to police and already pleaded guilty to intentional injury.

No verdict has been announced.

More and more online gamers are seeking justice through the courts over stolen weapons and credits.

"The armour and swords in games should be deemed as private property as players have to spend money and time for them," said Wang Zongyu, an associate law professor at Beijing's Renmin University of China.

But other experts are calling for caution.

"The assets of one player could mean nothing to others as they are by nature just data created by game providers," an unnamed lawyer for a Shanghai-based Internet game company said.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MCG321 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:00 pm

That's disturbingly sad.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:10 pm

wow thats insane :-o 8-o 8-o
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:15 pm

Wow, some people are just flat out insane.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby JohnnyUnitas » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:21 pm

Another example of a disturbed individual.
JohnnyUnitas
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:28 pm

People that obsess over online hobbies are seriously disturbed...

Ummm..... Err.....

Damn.... :-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:41 pm

whats the link? i wanna send it to one of my friends

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:43 pm

Vikes Rule 88 wrote:whats the link? i wanna send it to one of my friends

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Online ... click=true

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:20 pm

My lord...I'm glad I don't play those type of games.

Well unfortunately, some people's real life is solely based on virtual games like that one...so if you lost your most prized possession, I suppose it would make you mad - but not THAT mad! 8-o

Actually, back in the days of Super Punch-Out for the SNES, I had the same type of obsession over it. My character had the maximum number of wins allowed in the game (255) and 0 losses. I also had beaten every record I could find for every opponent in the game. I took it to college so I could play, and someone asked me if they could play it. I told them sure, but I said, "Don't use my character...make a new one to play."

Time went on, I came back and saw that the guy was playing one of the end guys in the game. I said, "Man! You must be a wizard at this game to be playing one of the last guys!"

He said, "No, I just used your character to try some of the later guys."

(silence)

"You haven't lost any, have you?"

"Yeah, a few times....why?"

At this point, Mercer Boy became a very, very, very, very angry individual. Lots of screaming, yelling, kicking people out of room, constant berating, and general pissiness followed.

My perfect boxer had been defiled by an idiot who didn't listen to anything I said. That's when I realized that you can never trust anyone but yourself. :,-(
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:29 pm

Heh - I wouldn't have expected such a lashing out from good 'ol MB. :-b

As for the original story, that's just freaky. I know some people take their online gaming seriously, but that's just horrible. To top it off, someone actually spent money on a videogame-sword. That's pretty disturbing too.

I 'spose the only time I ever got upset with a game was back when Final Fantasy 7 was super-popular. I'd been playing it for hours and hours, and finally get to the last boss. There was a save-point or something right before the battle, so I do my save thing... I left to do something after that (probably pump myself up for the ensuing epic battle of huge proportions, or something as equally pathetic)... anyway, later that day, my sister is playing some Parappa the Rappa and saves her game over my Final Fantasy game! Ergh...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk