Online gamer killed for selling cyber sword. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Online gamer killed for selling cyber sword.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Nilmerf » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:22 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:final fantasy VII was awesome. i couldnt stop playing that game until i beat it ;-D then after i beat it i waited a while and beat it again in about half the time. that was actually the last one ive played. i dont know why...ive always loved the series.

You're actually lucky then. Nothing after VII really compares.. X was alright but the characters were so dang annoying. And after VII, Square has decided that all of the main characters should be girly-men with emotional problems and tight clothes. No thanks.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:42 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:final fantasy VII was awesome. i couldnt stop playing that game until i beat it ;-D then after i beat it i waited a while and beat it again in about half the time. that was actually the last one ive played. i dont know why...ive always loved the series.

You didn't miss a whole lot after 7... X was alright, but my major bitch with it was it got to the point that there was so many animation breaks that it became more like watching an anime movie and less like playing a video game....

It definitely had the coolest mini-game of all of them, though.... Sort of an underwater waterpolo kind of sports game... Pretty kick ass....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tyr » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:56 pm

Sadly, there have been numerous killings over online game "property". So far this problem has been concetrated largely in low-wage Asian countries, namely China and Korea - two countries in which the gaming industry is such a force that it rivals, if not outright beats, the power that the sports industries wield in the Americas and Europe.

When you just think, "Oh, that's sad." or, "Oh, how pathetic." keep in mind you're looking at it from a very western perspective. When we think of online game related killings, we immediately associate the thought with an acne covered fat kid from our school days going berserk over an injustice on EverQuest. In Korea or China, where the gaming is quite literally a sport, it's very different. While we may not find it acceptable for, say, one athlete to kill another over a rivalry, it *has* happened in the past - in american sports as well as european sports.

In short, a large number of Chinese and Korean gamers are not simply fatties with no life. As far as their society is concerned, they're legitimate and celebrated athletes, albeit a form of athlete that western society has largely dismissed as emotionally under developed youth.

If you think this is all nonsense, google on the subject a bit. There are more gaming related "news" stations in Korea than there are ESPNs on DirectTV. There are, literally, live news broadcast channels (think ESPN or CNN) dedicated to Lineage/Lineage 2/Legend of Mir/Ragnarok Online/etc.

It really makes one think, eh?
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Calyxes » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:04 am

talking about taking a game to serious
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:43 am

Tyr wrote:Sadly, there have been numerous killings over online game "property". So far this problem has been concetrated largely in low-wage Asian countries, namely China and Korea - two countries in which the gaming industry is such a force that it rivals, if not outright beats, the power that the sports industries wield in the Americas and Europe.

When you just think, "Oh, that's sad." or, "Oh, how pathetic." keep in mind you're looking at it from a very western perspective. When we think of online game related killings, we immediately associate the thought with an acne covered fat kid from our school days going berserk over an injustice on EverQuest. In Korea or China, where the gaming is quite literally a sport, it's very different. While we may not find it acceptable for, say, one athlete to kill another over a rivalry, it *has* happened in the past - in american sports as well as european sports.

In short, a large number of Chinese and Korean gamers are not simply fatties with no life. As far as their society is concerned, they're legitimate and celebrated athletes, albeit a form of athlete that western society has largely dismissed as emotionally under developed youth.

If you think this is all nonsense, google on the subject a bit. There are more gaming related "news" stations in Korea than there are ESPNs on DirectTV. There are, literally, live news broadcast channels (think ESPN or CNN) dedicated to Lineage/Lineage 2/Legend of Mir/Ragnarok Online/etc.

It really makes one think, eh?

Anyone who has played StarCraft knows how huge it is in South Korea, even now, and its 7 years old. They televise tournaments, single matches, and the good players are like star athletes here, get lots of money and women. The game is great, but the Koreans take it to a next level. :-D
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:48 am

34=Sweetness wrote:Anyone who has played StarCraft knows how huge it is in South Korea, even now, and its 7 years old. They televise tournaments, single matches, and the good players are like star athletes here, get lots of money and women. The game is great, but the Koreans take it to a next level. :-D

(takes out tape recorder) Note to self...move to South Korea to use mad video game skills to get babes.

;-D

Anyone who remembers Norm's days on Weekend Update has to respect that one. :-)
Last edited by Mercer Boy on Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joshyboy72 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:56 am

Unless I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective, it doesn't look to have as much to do with video games as some of you are saying. His friend betrayed him, and sold his virtual sword, which was obviously very near and dear to him. Even though it's not real, who cares, it must've really been that important to him. While I definitely don't think this is a reason for killing the guy, I'm just saying that he's definitely not a loser or anything, they obviously take these matters very seriously in some of these countries. Ironic though, the guy who sold his friend's sword payed his life. Disturbing story.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:04 am

joshyboy72 wrote:Unless I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective, it doesn't look to have as much to do with video games as some of you are saying. His friend betrayed him, and sold his virtual sword, which was obviously very near and dear to him. Even though it's not real, who cares, it must've really been that important to him. While I definitely don't think this is a reason for killing the guy, I'm just saying that he's definitely not a loser or anything, they obviously take these matters very seriously in some of these countries. Ironic though, the guy who sold his friend's sword payed his life. Disturbing story.

Er...doesn't have to do with video games? :-?

The sword that was "very near and dear to him" was used in a video game...that's what brought the whole discussion of selling video games items and the anger we feel when we lose our saved game, similar to the anger this guy must've felt when he lost his beloved item (although we don't stab our sisters for deleting our games...or do we?).
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joshyboy72 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:10 am

MCG321 wrote:
joshyboy72 wrote:Unless I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective, it doesn't look to have as much to do with video games as some of you are saying. His friend betrayed him, and sold his virtual sword, which was obviously very near and dear to him. Even though it's not real, who cares, it must've really been that important to him. While I definitely don't think this is a reason for killing the guy, I'm just saying that he's definitely not a loser or anything, they obviously take these matters very seriously in some of these countries. Ironic though, the guy who sold his friend's sword payed his life. Disturbing story.

Er...doesn't have to do with video games? :-?

The sword that was "very near and dear to him" was used in a video game...that's what brought the whole discussion of selling video games items and the anger we feel when we lose our saved game, similar to the anger this guy must've felt when he lost his beloved item (although we don't stab our sisters for deleting our games...or do we?).

I meant it's more about betrayal, not that he's a dork obsessed with video games. Which is what you guys said as well...I just only read the first post and most of the second page. And my only sister is older...she's never been interested in driving me nuts with any video games I own, though that doesn't mean I don't want to strangle her sometimes. ;-)
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:35 am

Don't touch the man's Hanzo sword.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk