Anybody listen to Country Music...other then me? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Anybody listen to Country Music...other then me?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DUKE » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:31 am

It seems that most newer country music is no different than Britney-esque pop. I don't dig that a bit, but some of the true legends are awesome. I dig Willie Nelson (Red Headed Stranger is brilliant), Johnny Cash, Allison Krause, Some Randy Travis is cool, Lucinda Williams, etc. etc.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joshyboy72 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:41 am

I actually like country music a lot too...I've gotten into it a lot recently with a new XM radio I bought a few months ago. I enjoy a lot of the artists arleady mentioned in this thread...I don't think Johnny Cash, Garth Brooks, or Don Williams have been mentioned yet...those are some of my favorites as well.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:38 am

I think that pretty much all of the mainstream country (Toby Keith, Alan Jackson... yeah, I'm lookin' at you) is terrible. Can't stand it.

However, I do listen to some country - not much, but some.

Anyone who hasn't checked out Johnny Cash's "American Recordings" series ought to be ashamed of themselves. There's some absolutely awesome stuff on those CDs. His old stuff is good too, but his later works were fantastic. Loretta Lynn's new CD, "Van Lear Rose", with Jack White was pretty good - I'm not really familiar with anything else she's done though. Some other stuff I like is Lucinda Williams and some of Willie Nelson's stuff.

There's also some good "alternative country", I 'spose you would call it. Whiskeytown has fine CDs. Ryan Adams has even made some good stuff on his own (there's a great version on his last CD, "Love is Hell")... Wilco and Uncle Tupelo are usually bunched in that category too... they've made plenty of good CDs - I really like "Summer Teeth" from Wilco.

I'm sure there's some stuff that I'm missing, but I think I've covered enough. B-)
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:47 am

The only country song I like is Sweet Home Alabama. Everything else is pretty brutal.

For the record, I dont think that most of Shania Twains songs are country. Some are, but most should be classified as "pop"
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:18 am

portisfan24 wrote:The only country song I like is Sweet Home Alabama. Everything else is pretty brutal.

For the record, I dont think that most of Shania Twains songs are country. Some are, but most should be classified as "pop"

Heh, Sweet Home Alabama is a southern rock song by Lynyrd Skynyrd... :-b

But yeah, Shania's last two CD's have been pretty dang "poppy," and I didn't really like that. The stuff on her first hit CD was a little more country, but not by much.

It doesn't matter to me though, because she's so dang hot!!!! ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Lushcrush » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:02 am

My favorite is Steve Earle ... the latest in a long line of Nashville bad boys.
Great songs ... ;-D
Kenny Chesney amuses me too.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:42 am

Goatwhacker wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:I do... Country and Irish music is about all I listen to.... The fiance listens to hip hop, so I end up listening to some of that by association, but given my choice, it's almost exclusively country (or celtic) for me...

Hey, that's cool, I've been into celtic music for the last 6 or 7 years. Are you into the newer or the more traditional stuff?

Both.... I listen to the traditional stuff a lot when I'm looking to listen to something on the more mellow side, but I also listen to a lot of Celtic rock/punk stuff as well....

My top Celtic bands would probably be:

The Pogues / Shane McGowan
Dropkick Murphy's
The Dubliners
Clancy Brothers

and a much less well known new school band called:

Siobhan.... You can check them out, here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/siobhanmusic.htm

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:56 am

deluxe_247 wrote:i used to absolutley hate country music...but ive heard some rascal flats songs that are pretty good....and dont even really sound all that much like country

That's the other one I was trying to think of...

Rascal Flats is great....

And of course there is always Reba....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kevinoc81 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:50 am

A few on my CDs right now:

Tim McGraw (ALWAYS)
Charlie Daniels
Keith Urban
Josh Gracin
Dierks Bentley
Rascal Flats
Alan Jackson
Big & Rich
Carolyn Dawn Johnson
Why Don't You Ever Call Me By My Name - David Allen Coe (one of the best country songs ever, but beware, the rest of his stuff can be rather offensive)
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hastur » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:51 am

Its weird. I can't stand the 'new' country of Brooks and Dunn and George Straight. I worked in a restaurant with a bar attached that played "i know low people in high places" or whatever so often i am now emotionally scarred.

But I really enjoy traditional Bluegrass. And, one of my favorite tapes to listen to is Johnny Cash's Live at Folsom Prison.
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk