Comedian Mitch Hedberg Dies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Comedian Mitch Hedberg Dies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Comedian Mitch Hedberg Dies

Postby DUKE » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:14 pm

Apr 1, 8:05 AM EST

Comedian and Actor Mitch Hedberg, 37, Dies

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- Mitch Hedberg, a Minnesota-born comedian who worked in nightclubs, television and film in a wide-ranging career, died in New Jersey, his family said. He was 37.

Hedberg, who struggled with drugs and alcohol, died Wednesday in a hotel room in Livingston, N.J.

Pending the medical examiner's report, the cause of death appears to be heart failure, said his mother, Mary Hedberg. She said her son was born with a heart defect and frequently felt anxious about his condition.

Mary Hedberg said speculation that her son's death was drug-related was gossip.

"We don't know that for a fact," she said, but added, "it's not a secret Mitch used drugs. Whether that played a role in his death or not, we don't know."

A hit on "The Late Show With David Letterman," on which he appeared 10 times, and "The Howard Stern Show," Hedberg once was dubbed "the next Seinfeld" by Time magazine. But TV-series fame eluded him because his unique style of mumbled one-liners didn't lend itself to the sitcom format.

Hedberg delivered absurdist, random observations in a spacy staccato. His long, dirty blond hair harkened to the image of a 1970s stoner.

Jokes about Hedberg's drug use were a staple of his act. He took a hiatus from performing for several months after a May 2003 arrest in Austin, Texas, for felony possession of heroin.

Born in St. Paul, Hedberg rose through the ranks at Minneapolis' Acme Comedy Co. and caught his big break through a Comedy Central special.

His rambling, non-sequitur style often drew comparisons to Steven Wright, but Hedberg disagreed.

"If I made potato chips and put them in a can, people would say I was ripping off Pringles," he said. "But what if I put them in a bag?"

Hedberg had two popular comedy CDs, "Strategic Grill Locations" and "Mitch All Together." He acted in the movie "Almost Famous" - smoking fake pot with Peter Frampton - and appeared on Fox's hit series "That '70s Show."

Hedberg is survived by his wife, comedian Lynn Shawcroft, his father and mother, Arne and Mary Hedberg of St. Paul, and sisters Wendy Brown of Woodbury and Angie Anderson of South St. Paul.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:20 pm

very very sad. he was awsome. :,-(

"Rice is awsome when youre hungry and you want to eat 2000 of somthing."
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby awwchrist » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:38 pm

DAMN IT.

Oh lord, why couldn't you have taken Patten Oswalt instead?
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:11 pm

Dammit!Now I have to go find a picture because I think I know who this is but I'm not sure.If it's who I think it is this does suck cuz he was hilarious.Not that it wouldn't suck if it was someone else,but you know what I mean.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:14 pm

This guy was hilarious. That is too bad.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:26 pm

Is this an April Fools joke? Please tell me it is... I love that guy. :,-(
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:31 pm

terpfan wrote:Is this an April Fools joke? Please tell me it is... I love that guy. :,-(

Afraid not...Here is a link:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainme ... &cset=true
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CKY_ROX » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:08 pm

He was one of th funniest guys that ive heared, its a sad sad day RIP

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:20 pm

This really sucks...

I missed out on my chance to see Mitch when he was in town a few months ago... I figured I'd just see him next time he was in town.

Honestly, I am way beyond sorrow here... I have no response.

All I have to say is,

"Don't give up, Mitchell! Please try again! A message of inspiration from your friends at Yoplait. Fruit on the bottom... hope on top."

RIP :,-(

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:57 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:This really sucks...

I missed out on my chance to see Mitch when he was in town a few months ago... I figured I'd just see him next time he was in town.

Honestly, I am way beyond sorrow here... I have no response.

All I have to say is,

"Don't give up, Mitchell! Please try again! A message of inspiration from your friends at Yoplait. Fruit on the bottom... hope on top."

RIP :,-(

Yeah, i know. Me and my brother quote him all the time. Now its just depressing....

My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so, Yeah."

I had a bag of fritos, they were texas grilled fritos. These fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of something, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on, better flip that frito, dad, you know how I like mine.

My lucky number is four billion. That doesn't come in real handy when you're gambling. "Come on, four billion! @#$%. Seven. I need more dice."

RIP Mitch
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk