Pope John Paul II may have died... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Pope John Paul II may have died...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MCG321 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:45 pm

Nilmerf wrote:Sad times.. I'm Protestant but my friends and I made a list of the greatest people from each country in history, and John Paul II was the representative from Poland. Great man!

Care to post the list? It sounds neat.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nilmerf » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:11 pm

Hmm, I can't seem to find it. I can probably remember most of it though. Da Vinci for Italy, Mozart for Austria, etc. It wasn't limited to just "good guys" though, as I had Stalin for Russia and Mao for China. It was an interesting project!

Enough about that though, who is the frontrunner for the next Pope? Will they name him John Paul III? I'm definitely not an expert on the Catholic religion. :-o
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mtryanks12 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:32 pm

:,-(
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Charlie24 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:09 pm

Nilmerf wrote:Hmm, I can't seem to find it. I can probably remember most of it though. Da Vinci for Italy, Mozart for Austria, etc. It wasn't limited to just "good guys" though, as I had Stalin for Russia and Mao for China. It was an interesting project!

Enough about that though, who is the frontrunner for the next Pope? Will they name him John Paul III? I'm definitely not an expert on the Catholic religion. :-o

Not necessarily. Each Pope selects his own name mostly to pay honor to past popes. There have been popes named Clement, Innocent, Urban, and so on. He may choose to be John Paul III but as I understand he makes the decision, its not made for him. And I'm not sure who is the frontrunner but I know that the cardinals will soon get together to vote on who will be the next pope. There are always about 2 or 3 candidates I think
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Charlie24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby MCG321 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:18 pm

Nilmerf wrote:Hmm, I can't seem to find it. I can probably remember most of it though. Da Vinci for Italy, Mozart for Austria, etc. It wasn't limited to just "good guys" though, as I had Stalin for Russia and Mao for China. It was an interesting project!

I heard a Nigerian man, Francis Arinze, was flown in to wherever the decision will be made, as he's a frontrunner for next Pope.

This article talks about some other candidates:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Pope/story ... 766&page=1
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:56 am

Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:28 am

Charlie24 wrote:

Not necessarily. Each Pope selects his own name mostly to pay honor to past popes. There have been popes named Clement, Innocent, Urban, and so on. He may choose to be John Paul III but as I understand he makes the decision, its not made for him. And I'm not sure who is the frontrunner but I know that the cardinals will soon get together to vote on who will be the next pope. There are always about 2 or 3 candidates I think

The pope always choses a name, usually a former pope name. But if its that Nigerian guy he could buck the trend and go wth something original.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mtryanks12 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:40 pm

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1999/pope/selection/

Explanation of the pope selction process.^^^
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby IRON CHEF » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:58 pm

Truly a great man, its sad to see him go, but his detoriorating health indicated that it was his time. He helped urge the Poland solidarity movement and lead to the fall of Communism, he forgave the man who shot him, and he helped unify all nations, religions, and ethnicities.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:47 am

MCG321 wrote:

I heard a Nigerian man, Francis Arinze, was flown in to wherever the decision will be made, as he's a frontrunner for next Pope.

This article talks about some other candidates:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Pope/story ... 766&page=1

Cardinal Arinze is considered a frontrunner, however Vatican insiders tend to think that the next Pope will be an older man.... Coming off JPII's record setting term of 26+ years, most seem to think the next Pope will be a transitional Pope, meaning they will nominate a man in his late-60's/early-70's.... More speculation is that they will try to return to tradition and elect an Italian...

The fact that Arinze has flown to Rome doesn't mean anything, as all Cardinals are in the process of flying to Rome, where they will participate in Conclave... Which literally means they will be locked in the Sistine Chapel, the doors will be sealed with wax, and they will cast ballots as to who will be the next Pope until one man is decided upon....
Last edited by Plindsey88 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk