Pope John Paul II may have died... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Pope John Paul II may have died...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:49 am

The conclave will be a very interesting process. I am very curious to see how long it will take. I can't imagine it's easy getting everyone to agree on the same person.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:42 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:The conclave will be a very interesting process. I am very curious to see how long it will take. I can't imagine it's easy getting everyone to agree on the same person.

I think the longest to date took 3 years.... Although, JP II recently changed the rules, so that in the case of a deadlocked Conclave, instead of the usual 2/3 plus one majority needed, the new rules allow a Pope to be elected with 50% plus one of the Cardinals in agreement.... However, I think the Cardinals still have to deliberate for at least 2 weeks if there is a deadlock before they are allowed to institute that new rule....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:36 am

Wow. That's a long time to basically put yourself in seclusion to determine the new Pope. I just saw the funeral will be Friday.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:42 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Wow. That's a long time to basically put yourself in seclusion to determine the new Pope. I just saw the funeral will be Friday.

Yeah... Friday at 4:00 in the morning eastern time.... Something tells me I'll be missing that....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:44 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Wow. That's a long time to basically put yourself in seclusion to determine the new Pope. I just saw the funeral will be Friday.

Yeah... Friday at 4:00 in the morning eastern time.... Something tells me I'll be missing that....

Well, if my son keeps waking me up at about 3am when he is sick (4am ET), I will be able to tell you all about it. Haha.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:52 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

Well, if my son keeps waking me up at about 3am when he is sick (4am ET), I will be able to tell you all about it. Haha.

Yeah, take notes for me.... ;-D

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:53 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

Haha. ok. If not, I may actually Tivo it. Although, I am sure there will be plenty of media coverage so I am sure to not miss too much of it.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Postby MadScott » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:18 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

Haha. ok. If not, I may actually Tivo it. Although, I am sure there will be plenty of media coverage so I am sure to not miss too much of it.
Just remember to watch for the smoke. Black smoke means a deadlock on picking the pope and white smoke means that there is a new pope. So much symbolism and tradition it's pretty amazing stuff. Most of these traditions are based off of original practices, hundreds if not thousands of years old.

John Paul II was the first non-Italian pope in 455 years, needless to say, this broke a long chain. It will be interesting to see if they decide once again to go with a non-Italian as a "transitional pope" or if they indeed go back to something more traditional.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:33 pm

I found this link pretty interesting...

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/4/3/180901.shtml

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chaindog35 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:48 pm

feel bad, may he RIP
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk