Leonard Little Acquitted of DUI Charge - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Leonard Little Acquitted of DUI Charge

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby awwchrist » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:17 pm

ZigZagMan wrote:people like you think he should've gotten more (when in fact I know of many other cases in the area when the person's gotten less), it must be his fault.

Now you're just putting words into my mouth.

You're not my favorite homer anymore. ;-)

I'm not playing your "let's vinidicate Little!" game. Screw his latest actions. He killed someone while driving under the influence (twice the legal limit mind you). He got 4 months in jail, 4 years probation, 1k hours of community service, 1/2 a years pay.

How does this PENALIZE him? As an NFL player, he's already doing community service. What's another 1 hour a day over the next 3 years? 1/2 a years pay? Cripes that's declared to his base salary..soo 500-900k at most?

So boil it down, he does 4 months in jail, and still ends up with a driving license. Employed. Still making more money than 90% of Americans. Still walking (and apparently driving) the streets.

Unlike Susan Gutweiler.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ZigZagMan » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:13 pm

You're not my favorite homer anymore.

Dangit Bobby.

Little paid the sentence that was given to him, a sentence that is consistent with many in that situation, NFL superstar or not. But I don't see how you can hold an event in the past over a guy's head who paid his debt to society. What else was he supposed to do...

"Hey, uh...I think I should stay here for a couple months warden."

He deserves to be criticized for what happened. I'm not defending his past. But saying he should be jailed for this offense when he clearly didn't do anything wrong, other than happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, is not the way the judicial system works.
ZigZagMan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ZigZagMan » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:15 pm

Oh, and I'm sorry, but your defense of racial discrimination and the officer padding his DUI's is complete BS. You have no proof, no evidence, so leave your baseless conjectures to try and make this monster the victim out of the debate until you have someone at least as solid as 2 beers.

Evidence was given in the trial. The officer's testimony was inconsistent with the police report. He gave tests in a way that anyone, even sober people, would have a hard time passing. And the other officer on the scene did not support him.

If that's not proof I don't know what is.

As for racial discrimination, I know the area in which it happened. I live about 10 minutes from the stretch of highway in which he got pulled over. I do know the type of racial discrimination that exists in that area. So until you live out here by the area itself, please, shut up.

Now, two beers may or may not have impaired Little, but the man killed someone because he drove drunk. Now he's caught drinking and driving (at high speeds mind you) again and you think that's alright?

He had a few beers and drove home, more than likely a few hours after. There are 15,000 people who do that exact same thing every time there is a sporting event. And you can do so without being intoxicated and impairing your driving ability and judgement at all. Give two beers to a 115 female and she won't be tipsy.

There's a reason why there's a legal drinking limit.
ZigZagMan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:46 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
jdogg_ffc wrote:Ok lets just burn the bill of rights who needs em.

the man killed a person while driving drunk and then proceeded to get behind the wheel drunk again. what rights does the person slaughtered by this scum bag have? youre not gonna sell that apologist drivel to me.

The more I hear of this the more I think the man was not guilty.

Cmon guys when a cops partner doesn't back him up you know he was wrong.

Time to put the rope away I think.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:04 pm

My favorite Jim Rome quote:

"Even Leonard Little knows thats stupid, and he killed somebody."
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby proKrastinate » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:39 am

His previous incident should weigh heavily. Though I don't agree that any debt can be paid when someone is innocently killed, I will concur that he did serve his time given. However, without knowing how long before driving he had his two beers, I can't help but pass judgement. He killed someone by driving after drinking alcohol. Plain and simle. Regardless if he only has one beer, knowing what happened the last time should defer him from driving at all again. I really do understand your side of the story zigzag, but there is nothing you or anyone else can say that will change my way of thinking.

I don't know the legal limit where this took place. I do know in virginia thought that the limit is .08 BAC lvl

The federal government encouraged the lowering of the previous legal intoxication limit of .10 to the current .08 by threatening to deny federal highway funding to states that did not comply. From a practical sense, to meet or exceed the .08 limit is much easier than you may expect. More than 1 drink per hour for persons weighing up to 150 lbs and more than 2 drinks per hour for those weighing more than 160 1bs will place most individuals at or above the legal limit. Even for those who have an increased “tolerance”, the BAC level may exceed .08 when you are not visibly intoxicated. In addition to body weight, metabolism, food consumption, gender, tiredness, and drug interactions, including prescription, over the counter and illegal drugs, can greatly affect a person’s intoxication.

Most visible symptoms of intoxication do not appear until a driver is close to a BAC of .15, almost double the legal limit.
Link -- http://lawnews.wlu.edu/In-depth.htm

Now i know that Little is...well not so little and his BAC level might not have been at .08. So its very likely that he wasn't intoxicated (depending on how you use the word). But no one knows, maybe not even Little, what kind of coordinational effects one or even two beers may have. When you drink, often you feel more aware than you really are. Why chance it when you have already killed someone. Again, he probably wasn't affected by the beer. From what I gather it seems he could probably hold 2 beers and be perfectly fine...but why chance it? It's someone else's life that you are putting into your hands. Thats selfish and disrespectful.

Whether or not the officer was looking to make an arrest or not, since Little's laywer openly admitted to him consuming alcohol, and with no time frame given (or atleast reported here), how is he not in the wrong? How many chances should a guy get?

I feel however as though everyone has their own concrete opinion on this matter, and that we will never come to agreement.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ZigZagMan » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:46 am

It's a risk that shouldn't be taken if it's borderline on impairment. But two beers is not borderline.

I really wish he'd stop drinking totally, but he didn't drive drunk. That's what really matters in this instance.

But I respect the opinions of everybody who's commented and I realize some people will think that way. I'm not trying to preach on a soap box here. Just trying to enlighten you guys a little on the facts of the trial and show you I believe what I believe because that's my general opinion. Not an opinion because it's a very good player on my favorite football team.

Thanks.
ZigZagMan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby proKrastinate » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:47 am

ZigZagMan wrote:It's a risk that shouldn't be taken if it's borderline on impairment. But two beers is not borderline.

I really wish he'd stop drinking totally, but he didn't drive drunk. That's what really matters in this instance.

But I respect the opinions of everybody who's commented and I realize some people will think that way. I'm not trying to preach on a soap box here. Just trying to enlighten you guys a little on the facts of the trial and show you I believe what I believe because that's my general opinion. Not an opinion because it's a very good player on my favorite football team.

Thanks.

:) I believe you
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:51 pm

ZigZagMan wrote:Little paid the sentence that was given to him, a sentence that is consistent with many in that situation, NFL superstar or not. But I don't see how you can hold an event in the past over a guy's head who paid his debt to society. What else was he supposed to do...

No it isn't consistent with what everyone else gets. Take for instance a kid I graduated with. Wasn't drinking, wasn't speeding, just lost control of his car on a windy road. He survived, but his buddies in the car didn't. Yeah, he hasn't seen the outside of a prison cell for 6 years now.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:07 pm

im with prokrastinate....he did drink and drive and kill someone previously. i dont believe he should be drinking and driving AT ALL...even if its 2 beers. if fact....i dont believe he should have ever been able to drive again after what happened...but thats just me....
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk