Dolphins shopping #2 pick around plus Surtain/KC trade talk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dolphins shopping #2 pick around plus Surtain/KC trade talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dolphins shopping #2 pick around plus Surtain/KC trade talk

Postby MadScott » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:50 pm

Miami might trade No. 2 pick

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

mailto:asalguero@herald.com

The Dolphins are willing to trade the second overall pick in the coming NFL draft, a fact two league sources say is getting around because Miami personnel people are saying as much in conversations with peers from other teams.

According to two NFC personnel sources, the Dolphins have made it clear they would welcome trade overtures that would allow them to drop down in the draft's first round in exchange for multiple picks.

One of the sources said he knows of no team that is eager to trade up to Miami's spot now, but said that might be because the April 23-24 draft still is too far in the future. Dolphins coach Nick Saban was unavailable for comment Monday, but last week addressed the possibility of trading the pick.

''There is a level of compensation that may make it more attractive not to pick there,'' Saban said. ``But we don't control that. It's not like we can just dial it up and do what we want to do. Somebody has got to want to do that as well. So when you ask me what we're going to do, we're going to do what's best from a long-term value orientation for this organization.''

Saban said the club has a chart that suggests what type of compensation Miami should get for moving down in the draft. The coach said he would follow that chart strictly in forging a trade.

The reason the Dolphins are practically inviting trade offers is two-fold. Saban has made it clear the team has multiple areas that need addressing while lamenting he doesn't have enough picks to fill those needs.

The Dolphins traded away several picks last year, including their second-rounder to Philadelphia for quarterback A.J. Feeley.

Secondly, the top half of the draft is not considered especially strong. Several NFL coaches and personnel men believe the players in the middle of the first round through the second round might offer as much quality as players in the first dozen picks.

Saban said the Dolphins would align their draft board this week and set their draft strategy next week.

PLAYING WITH RICKY

Former Auburn running back Ronnie Brown, who might be Saban's pick if he keeps the second overall selection, would love to play for the Dolphins -- even if Ricky Williams is on the team.

''I would definitely be excited to play with him,'' Brown said Monday during an Internet chat on ESPN.com. ``I would like to learn as much about football as I can from him. He had a great impact on the NFL.''

CORNERBACK SIGNED

The Dolphins signed free agent cornerback Mario Edwards to a one-year contract Monday. Edwards, 29, has played with Dallas and Tampa Bay.

Edwards' addition might be another sign the Dolphins expect to trade cornerback Patrick Surtain, likely to Kansas City. The Chiefs have offered the Dolphins a fourth-round pick for Surtain, but the Dolphins want a second or third-round selection.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sp ... 313078.htm

I heard that it was a matter of coming to terms on the pick, but it looks like it's getting close.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ljthockey » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:53 pm

Sounds great for KC. I dont know how old Surtain is but hes probally getting up there none the less he is still a quality cornerback much better than any of the ones weve had the past few years.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:54 pm

This will be awesome for KC. However, I don't undertsand why the dolphins are shopping down, beacsue if they still want a QB, I would picture them staying at the top if they want a good one.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:55 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:This will be awesome for KC. However, I don't undertsand why the dolphins are shopping down, beacsue if they still want a QB, I would picture them staying at the top if they want a good one.

I think clearly they are looking to go RB....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:57 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:This will be awesome for KC. However, I don't undertsand why the dolphins are shopping down, beacsue if they still want a QB, I would picture them staying at the top if they want a good one.

but I thought Priest was invloved in teh Surtain trade??
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:05 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

That was an April Fool's gag....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ljthockey » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:10 pm

Haha apparently you didnt read the bottom of that article mtyranks. But yeah i think it is smart of the dolphins to trade down there are quite a few quality backs this year.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nilmerf » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:23 pm

I don't understand why they're shopping Surtain. Doesn't he have some ridiculous cap number that they would actually lose money by dealing him?
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:54 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

That was an April Fool's gag....

I read the bottom of the article, but I'm too young to undertsand complex things like thid trade.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:55 pm

Nilmerf wrote:I don't understand why they're shopping Surtain. Doesn't he have some ridiculous cap number that they would actually lose money by dealing him?

I don't know about the $ figures, but I know that they have a priven CB in Sam Madison, and that they could still do fine w/o Surtain, so I think it makes sense to try and go for a key offensive position.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk