TO wants new Deal? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TO wants new Deal?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby chaindog35 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:39 pm

greedy booger
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:41 pm

his contract is not that good people. I think it is a tad off to want MORE -- he should eb getting more security, not more money.

All that said, the Eagles really do hold all the cards, as their cap hit for ditching him is not that bad.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadScott » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:21 pm

I was curious about this situation as well. I remember hearing a report from John Clayton a few weeks back saying in passing something about how TO's contract was really only set up to be a 2 year deal and that after this coming season, something would have to be done as far as extension or he being released. It really shocked me to hear that but now this all makes sense. Things sound like they could really get interesting with Mr. Owens. Maybe he should just go back to Whore island! :-P
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:26 pm

TO has a bit of a point.

That contract that he signed was obviously a training contract. He would have been cut after this season in all likelihood. He would have been due a roster bonus on the order of 6 million.

The only time he has any leverage at all is right now. Hot off of a heroic performance. This time next year, he would be gone. I think he is semi-shrewed for realizing it. I think it is in some ways a way to get the eagles to restructure a longer deal. Maybe for marginally more money -- but it would be "more money" in the sense that he would actually get it.

but the eagles weren't going to pay him that huge bonus.

It should work itself out. If it doesn't, he can take a hike. The NFC is going to still be a little weak anyway. With all the draft picks, the eagles could just rebuild now while remaining competitive.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cooleyhigh » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:34 pm

Choreographer's aint cheap baby. If you want to be delighted by more fabulous dancing you must pay. }:-)

I doubt anything happens but I might hate him less on another team.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:22 pm

What's being reported locally is that he doesn't technically want more money, but wants moeny the is back loaded in his contract to be moved up. He makes the majority of his money in the last three years, money he will never see. On a side note Eaglesfans Rosenhaus signed Tra Thomas today. :-t
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:27 pm

yea, I don't particularly have a problem with it per se. If it keeps him around a little longer, in a more long-term conducive way for the cap, ok.

Tra Thomas and Corey Simon are on crack though.

The eagles might budge a tad with owens, and I mean a tad. They won't budge for these other guys.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:42 pm

I have no problem with a player wanting to actually get paid what he was offered. Personally, if we have the extra cap space, and we're going to have to put that money on the cap at some point, might as well keep him happy by paying it to him early. TO is worth that.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk