Spent a hell of alot of time reading about this stuff so i thought id better put down how I thought the draft was gonna go. Here it is:
1. Aaron Rodgers QB – Niners: I would personally rather see the niners trade down from this pick. But in the event they cant id like them to select Rolle at #1 (even if it is a bit too high) this years QB class is too much of a crap shot to be investing #1 money in a guy who is that risky. Sure you might be overpaying Rolle a bit, but you can be guaranteed hes gonna be a solid starter for the next 7 years, can you say that about Rodgers? Plus I like guys in the 3rd/4th round such as Adrian McPherson for better value at QB.
2. Ronnie Brown RB – Fins: Saban seems intent on giving AJ another shot and their Defense and WRs are solid so RB is the obvious weakness on this team. Ronnie is a star.
3. Alex Smith QB – Browns: With Dilfer locked up Smith can take half a year or an entire year to learn the NFL game. Now is the time for the Browns to grab a franchise QB when he can learn for a year and when they don’t have to pay him #1 cash (next year they will hold that pick).
4. Braylon Edwards WR – Bears: This is the smart mans choice. Mush isn’t getting any younger, and conventional wisdom says that TJ did a fine job. However the bears are just as likely to do something stupid and take Benson. In the end someone will give them a slap and tell them to stop being idiots.
5. Mike Williams WR – TB: Gruden loves this man (and why wouldn’t you love a 6’5 WR?). Clayton and MW make one of the best WR cores in the league. Galloway cant stay healthy and they have no one else. If MW is available at pick 5, this is my LOCK pick of the draft.
6. Antrelle Rolle CB – Tenessee: This is where it gets interesting. Tenessee needs everything. Their other most pressing hole is OL and Alex Barron is a chance here. Its also hard to tell who the Titans have rated higher. Rolle or Pac Man but its likely one of these 2 is the pick here.
7. Cedrick Benson RB – Minnesotta: This is my surprise pick of the draft. Vikes where hoping Edwards or MW falls to them, but they don’t. They have already done a great job overhauling the D and none of their current RBs can do what Benson can. Bennett is always injured, Onterrio is 1 positive test away from a years suspension, Williams is a goal line back, and Moore is a change of pace guy. None of them are the star RB Minnesotta wants.
8. Pac Man Jones CB – Arizona: Denny seems keen on a lot of 2nd round RBs and since Alex Smith is gone they take Pac Man. He finishes their very solid and young 2ndary and defense. This is the right pick for AZ.
9. Troy Williamson WR – Washington: The skins were praying to the football gods that a CB worth taking fell to them here. The skins need help on offence and although this is a bit of a reach he will have the most impact of the players left for the skins. Williamson is FLYING up draft boards and has recently been touted as the 2nd best WR in the draft (ahead of MW) by the sportingnews. This man can flat out Fly running in the 4.27-4.32 range. WOW.
10. Derrick Johnson LB – Lions: No way they can pass on this man at pick 10. He is a machine
11. Shawn Merriman DE/OLB – Dallas: They love his versatility since no one knows if they will play the 3-4 or 4-3 (even parcels) and this guy will provide a pass rush no matter where you put him
12. Marcus Spears DE – Chargers: They toss up between Spears and Erasumus James here. Some love James and others are worried by his knee. Not sure who the Chargers like better. If Williamson is still available look for him to be the pick here.
13. Alex Barron OT – Texans: They need to keep Carr off his back and Barron is the best OL in the draft. They also need a LB pretty bad now with Sharper and Foreman leaving or gone so if Merriman or Johnson is available they could be the choice here but I expect they wont last
14. Cadillac Williams RB – Carolina: Foster cant stay healthy, Davis is old and cant stay healthy, they got RB problems. Hard to believe Cadillac will still be here at 14 but after TB and the Cards no one needs a RB. (Portis, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, Dom Davis, and LT)
15. Erasmus James DE – KC: They NEED to go defense. KC found out that bringing a great defensive coach and giving him a bunch of scurbs isn’t gonna help. End is the first position to start with so They will take Either James, Spears, or David Pollak depending on who is left.
16. Thomas Davis OLB/S – Saints: They need both an outside LB and a S so this gives them some flexibility and they get one of the best hitters in the draft ala. Sean Taylor. Other option could be Demarcus Ware at OLB.
17. David Pollack DE – Bengals: They desperately need help on the DL and whether they take Pollak or Travis Johnson (DT) depends on whether they want to fill their end or tackle positions.
18. Travis Johnson DT – Vikes: They take the DL whos left either Pollack or Johnson. The vikes have really really improved their defense and this guy at pick 18 is a steal. Enjoy.
19. Jamal Brown OT – Rams: They are obviously gonna go OL here since Turley cant be counted on. If Brown is gone they take Kalif Barnes
20. Kalif Barnes OT – Cowboys: Kurt Vollers and Torrin Tucker definitely aren’t doing the job at RT. This was by far the toughest pick in the draft to judge this far. Depending what they do with Merriman (DE/OLB) they could take another LB here Demarcus Ware is great value as is Derryl Blackstock. Or they could grab a WR here such as Mark Clayton since they need 1 of those too. But Barnes is the last OT worth taking for a while the the Boys grab him.
21. Carlos Rogers CB – Jags: Rashean Mathis? Please. Rogers is a great CB and represents great value at this pick. Yet another upgrade to the Jags defense.
22. Mark Clayton WR – Ravens: They have Mason, they have Heap. Clayton is the most polished receiver in the draft, dangerous after the catch, great hands, and great route running skills. Too bad hes small. The ravens cant pass on him here though.
23. Demarcus Ware OLB – Seahawks: They OBVIOUSLY need a LB so this one will be between Ware and Blackstock… flip a coin.
24. Brodney Pool S – Packers: They need some help in the 2ndary desperately. I don’t think they give up on their 1st round CB quite yet so they replace Sharper. They could also go OG here since they have NO ONE, but its probably a bit to early for guys like Baas.
25. Marlin Jackson CB – Broncos: This pick is between CB and WR. Roddy White is left but Jackson is much much better value at this pick. A definite upgrade over Kelly Herndon.
26. Heath Miller TE – Jets: Best TE in this years draft and the Jets are obviously after one. He will be a great addition to the Jets and provides Penny with another good target.
27. Dan Cody DE – Falcons: Best value left in the draft and fills a hole for the Falcons.
28. Roddy White WR – Chargers: They take a WR here, whether its White or they take a gamble on Matt Jones is unknown. Personally id like to see them take a chance on Jones, but White is the safer pick and will stretch the field for Gates and McCardell.
29. Fabian Washington CB – Colts: The colts will definitely go CB here. If one of the other CBs fall it could be them (Marlin Jackson) but either way CB is the pick.
30. Matt Jones WR – Steelers: If he is still left the Steelers will definitely grab him. 6’6 with 6.3 time. Who cares if he hasn’t played WR this guy is an athlete and a football player. Goodbye plax… who needs ya.
31. Darryl Blackstock LB – Eagles: They would love a WR to fall to them, but its unlikely. Since Corey Simon looks to be sticking around for at least 1 more year they don’t need a DL yet but Shaun Cody could be the pick here (just in case or for negotiation leverage). But most likely the eagles trade up to get a WR.
32. Channing Crowder ILB /Shaun Cody DT /Brandon Browner CB – Pats: They don’t really need anything. Teddy Bruschi is a worry, Cody is the best value left, and although their 2ndary did good last year they are still a bunch of nobodies and adding some legit talent couldn’t hurt…. Take your pick
Last edited by GMoney on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.