Idea for a game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafe Games Talk

Idea for a game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Idea for a game

Postby ironman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:14 am

I had an idea for a new game.

Each week during the NFL season players would pick one running back that they think will get the most rushing yards that week. Whoever can amass the highest total yards for the season wins. But the trick is, once you've selected a RB for a week, you cannot select them again all season. So for the course of a full season you would pick 17 different RB's. There could be a stipulation that if you choose a RB and they don't take a single carry in the game, that they could be used again in future weeks.

Its kind of like an extremely simplified version of the Diamond Daily baseball game on ESPN if any are familiar with that game. It could be expanded to include one RB, one QB, and one WR each week but I figured for simplicities sake that one RB and rushing yards would suffice for pitching the idea.

Any thoughts?
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:02 am

The idea for the game sounds good. However, I'm in the business of looking at the negatives of a game before I look at the more obvious positives. :-)

I don't know how or think this type of game could be done using a computer interface like most of the other games (exception being Cafe Blackjack). In order to make sure people don't use a RB more than once, you would need a moderator willing to check everyone's list each week to make sure there is no funny business. I mean, you want to trust the membership to be truthful, but you never know.

The other negative is that we already have a bunch of games already. Yes, I know they don't take long to play each week, but at some point I would think you need a limit on games. I get burned out trying to make sure I fill out the stuff for the 4 we have already.

MCG does a really good job with the Blackjack game, but I'm sure he can tell you that it takes a decent amount of time to take care of the game. If you'd be willing to put in the time to make sure everything is scored correctly and all that, then I suppose it would be a worthy consideration. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joshyboy72 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:51 pm

I see what Mercer is saying, but in a way he's wrong. Because unless whoever mods it is willing to check each week that each person is using a RB they haven't used, there will be an honors system either way...whether each week the interface list just lists the top 32 backs for the week or whether there is no interface at all and it's just like Cafe Blackjack.

This game sounds pretty interesting though.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:37 pm

personally, I think it sounds cool. And if someone wants to and has the time, they can moderate it.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MCG321 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:43 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:MCG does a really good job with the Blackjack game, but I'm sure he can tell you that it takes a decent amount of time to take care of the game. If you'd be willing to put in the time to make sure everything is scored correctly and all that, then I suppose it would be a worthy consideration. ;-D

Heh, heh, heh...

:-b

Anyway, I think this is a neat idea for a game. As long as any possible quirks could be settled, I'm in favor of it! ;-D
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:55 pm

I dont have the archivist skills that Mercer has but I remember Arlo saying we were sticking with 4 games, at least for this year.
However, of all te new games Ive seen suggested, I like this one the best.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:04 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:I see what Mercer is saying, but in a way he's wrong. Because unless whoever mods it is willing to check each week that each person is using a RB they haven't used, there will be an honors system either way...whether each week the interface list just lists the top 32 backs for the week or whether there is no interface at all and it's just like Cafe Blackjack.

How are you so sure you can't set up an interface to take out players a member has used? menyak is pretty skillful with that coding stuff. }:-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:31 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
joshyboy72 wrote:I see what Mercer is saying, but in a way he's wrong. Because unless whoever mods it is willing to check each week that each person is using a RB they haven't used, there will be an honors system either way...whether each week the interface list just lists the top 32 backs for the week or whether there is no interface at all and it's just like Cafe Blackjack.

How are you so sure you can't set up an interface to take out players a member has used? menyak is pretty skillful with that coding stuff. }:-)

But all his time will be spent coding an automatic scoring system to Blackjack. Right?

RIGHT?!

:-b
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:26 pm

Now that its closer to the start of the season, is there any interest in doing this? I would offer my assistance. I saw someone mentioned that there may not be any expansion of games this season but thought I'd see what people thought now before forgetting about it.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ironman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:01 pm

ironman wrote:Now that its closer to the start of the season, is there any interest in doing this? I would offer my assistance. I saw someone mentioned that there may not be any expansion of games this season but thought I'd see what people thought now before forgetting about it.

:-?
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Cafe Games Talk