Idea for a game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafe Games Talk

Idea for a game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:58 pm

You might have to PM menyak to get him to see the thread...The games season is getting closer, and I know it's in his mind right now as far as adding another game or not. :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby menyak » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:03 am

Mercer Boy wrote:You might have to PM menyak to get him to see the thread...The games season is getting closer, and I know it's in his mind right now as far as adding another game or not. :-?

Good point - thanks for the PM, ironman. ;-D

In short - this is not going to happen this season. :-/ We'll already add a new game called "Gimme 5!" this season, and in addition, the Blackjack and Trivia games will receive a massive facelift. That's enough work for me for the next weeks to come, and also enough innovation for a single season.

Doesn't hurt thinking about the rules, though. Would it make sense to play it on three positions, QBs, RBs, and WRs, or would that just make an easy idea too complicated? :-?

And Mercer, you don't absolutely have to play every game we're offering if you don't have the time. :-D
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:12 am

Yeah...I suppose not...but me picking Ladders and Blackjack players for football is mind-blowing sometimes. I'm very methodical like that. ;-D

This "Gimme 5!" sounds intriguing. B-)
Last edited by Mercer Boy on Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby menyak » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:23 am

Mercer Boy wrote:Yeah...I suppose not...but me picking Ladders and Blackjack players for football is mind-blowing sometimes. I'm very methodical like that. ;-D

Then I'm sure you'll appreciate our efforts to make Blackjack less mindblowing this season. :-D
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:59 am

menyak wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:You might have to PM menyak to get him to see the thread...The games season is getting closer, and I know it's in his mind right now as far as adding another game or not. :-?

Good point - thanks for the PM, ironman. ;-D

In short - this is not going to happen this season. :-/ We'll already add a new game called "Gimme 5!" this season, and in addition, the Blackjack and Trivia games will receive a massive facelift. That's enough work for me for the next weeks to come, and also enough innovation for a single season.

Doesn't hurt thinking about the rules, though. Would it make sense to play it on three positions, QBs, RBs, and WRs, or would that just make an easy idea too complicated? :-?

And Mercer, you don't absolutely have to play every game we're offering if you don't have the time. :-D

That's cool. Keep it in mind for next year. I think it would be a pretty simple concept to startup. I'll try to put together a more outlined list of rules.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:22 pm

Interesting idea!

One possible drawback that I see is that there might not be many decisions to make. The standard strategy would probably be to check the schedule and plan to use elite players in weeks when they face weak defenses; apart from adjusting for injuries and the like, there might not be much decision-making to do during the course of the season itself.

Perhaps an added game mechanism that either creates new options or removes existing ones would make it a bit less static, something along the lines of not being able to start players against a defense that held one of your previous choices to less than x yards...

Just brainstorming here.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby menyak » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:35 pm

How about having to determine the amount of yards you plan to get? So it you say you want 30 points but your WR only makes 29, you get no points. If your WR makes 150 yards, you still only make 30 points.
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:56 pm

Arlo wrote:Interesting idea!

One possible drawback that I see is that there might not be many decisions to make. The standard strategy would probably be to check the schedule and plan to use elite players in weeks when they face weak defenses; apart from adjusting for injuries and the like, there might not be much decision-making to do during the course of the season itself.

Perhaps an added game mechanism that either creates new options or removes existing ones would make it a bit less static, something along the lines of not being able to start players against a defense that held one of your previous choices to less than x yards...

Just brainstorming here.

Yeah that's a good point. Perhaps there could be a handicap mechanism that makes RB yards worth more/less depending on the defense they face. Like have yards vs. the top 6 rush defenses worth 1.2 pt/yd while vs. the bottom 6 could be worth only 0.8 pt/yd. All defenses in between would be worth 1 pt/yd. That way say Player A chooses RB1 who faces the third worst rushing defense, while Player B chooses RB2 who faces the third best rushing defense. If RB1 rushes for 120 yards it would worth the same as if RB2 only ran for 80.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby menyak » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:18 pm

ironman wrote:
Arlo wrote:Interesting idea!

Just brainstorming here.

Yeah that's a good point. Perhaps there could be a handicap mechanism that makes RB yards worth more/less depending on the defense they face. Like have yards vs. the top 6 rush defenses worth 1.2 pt/yd while vs. the bottom 6 could be worth only 0.8 pt/yd. All defenses in between would be worth 1 pt/yd. That way say Player A chooses RB1 who faces the third worst rushing defense, while Player B chooses RB2 who faces the third best rushing defense. If RB1 rushes for 120 yards it would worth the same as if RB2 only ran for 80.

My concern is that it would make an easy idea fairly complicated.

#1 As a player, you'd have to dig through all the stats week after week. Possibly too much work to be fun in the long run.

#2 It would definitely close the door on even the remotest chance of making the scoring automatic. Because we simply don't have these stats in our database, so the entire scoring would have to be done manually.
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Cafe Games Talk