Evo's first draft mock - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Evo's first draft mock

Moderator: Football Moderators

Evo's first draft mock

Postby Evolution » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:55 am

Ok, this is my first shot at ever doing one of these, so let me know what you guys think:

1. San Francisco - Aaron Rodgers, QB, Cal - The Niners try to trade this pick but there's not a player in the draft that teams will move up to #1 to get. They take Rodgers, who they will try to build around.

2. Miami Dolphins - Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn - The Dolphins decide that trading valuable assets for a runningback that they can just pick in their slot is a waste of resources. A solid combine vaults Brown to the top of the RB charts.

3. Cleveland Browns - Alex Smith, QB, Utah - Dilfer was brought in for a reason, to teach a young QB how to play in the NFL. Smith will be the guy Romeo wants to build around, despite a great desire to select Derrick Johnson in this slot.

4. Chicago Bears - Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan - Muhsin Muhammad was a solid FA acquisition, but the Bears need a young wideout to form a connection with Grossman for years to come. Enter Braylon Edwards...

5. Tampa Bay - Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, RB, Auburn - It's no secret Tampa is looking for a back. Gruden and his staff have really liked Cadillac since the Senior Bowl.

6. Tennessee - Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami - "Pac Man" Jones is another possibility here, but we cant let all those Rolle jerseys go to waste...

7. Minnesota - Mike Williams, WR, USC/No School - Minnesota caps a productive offseason by selecting Moss' eventual replacement. Another possibility in this slot is Derrick Johnson.

8. Arizona - Cedric Benson, RB, Texas - With no QBs left deserving of the pick, the Cards will take the focus of their ground game for the future.

9. Washington - Adam "Pac Man" Jones, CB, West Virginia - Losing both Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot in consecutive years hurts, and with the health of Shawn Springs always in question, this would make a great pickup for this defense

10. Detroit - Marcus Spears, DE, LSU - A few short weeks ago, this pick would unquestionably have been Thomas Davis. However, they need a DE who can play both the pass and the run, and Spears appears to be that guy.

11. Dallas - Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas - It's almost unthinkable that he'll fall this far, but every other team has a pressing need that can be addressed in the top 10. Parcells, Jerry Jones and the Cowboy nation are shocked to see him fall to their laps. Another option here is Merriman.

12. San Diego - Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina - They'll flirt with the idea of drafting Merriman, but giving Brees/Rivers a weapon who can stretch the field the way Williamson can is definitely a priority.

13. Houston - Shawne Merriman, DE/LB, Maryland - A perfect fit for this 3-4 defense, which needs a leader and playmaker in the front 7, especially after cutting Sharper. Another very solid possibility is Alex Barron for that LT slot.

14. Carolina - Alex Barron, OT, Florida State - Paired with Jordan Gross, they could be the league's top tackle tandem in a couple of years.

15. Kansas City - Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn - Very likely to become the 3rd guy from Auburn to crack the upper half of the 1st round, the Chiefs have a glaring need which must be addressed at corner.

16. New Orleans- Thomas Davis, S, Georgia - His stock has fallen due to experiments at OLB and slowish speeds, but he will be a force to be reckoned with in the NFL. Not quite Ed Reed, but will be one of the impact players at his position.

17. Cincinnati - Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State - The clear-cut #1 DT in the draft, Cincy really needs to shore up a shoddy run defense, and adding a 300-pound run-stuffing DT is a great start.

18. Minnesota - Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin - A 3rd linebacker would be nice for the Vikes at this slot, so dont be surprised if you see them take DeMarcus Ware or Daryl Blackstock in this slot, but James would be nice to put into the DE rotation with Udeze and Mixon.

19. St. Louis - Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma - The Rams can replace Kyle Turley after the disaster they had with him with a very solid tackle. The greatest show on turf needs great pass-protecters to make it work. Khalif Barnes could also be the other tackle selected in his slot, or they could go CB.

20. Dallas - Khalif Barnes, OT, Washington - Aside from Flozell Adams, they need another tackle as current RT hopefuls Vollers and Tucker do not posess nearly the talent that Barnes has, and Tucker projects more as a guard anyways. They'll also consider another LB such as Crowder, Ware or Blackstock.

21. Jacksonville - David Pollack, DE, Georgia - In a deep DE draft, the Jags take the best one left at their slot. Pollack is solid against the run and a very good pass-rusher. They added Wiley and Heyward via FA, but Wiley is getting up there in years and Heyward is not a huge force at the position. Another possibility here is Heath Miller, if they decide to make TE a part of their offense

22. Baltimore - Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma - He's still proven himself to be better than the next tier of WR's. Adding a second young WR will allow them to (wow, it can't be true...) play some 3 WR sets with Mason and Clarence Moore and actually be somewhat of a passing threat. Clayton's speed will draw coverage downfield and away from primary targets Mason and Heap.

23. Seattle - Channing Crowder, ILB, Florida - This guy has all the talent to be one of the better MLB's in the league for years to come, although there are many questions about his off-field issues. If the Seahawks are deterred too much by those issues, they'll likely go after someone like Ware or Dan Cody, but Crowder is the best player for them here.

24. Green Bay - Brodney Pool, FS, Oklahoma - The Packers suddenly find themselves needing a safety after having to cut Darren Sharper. This move gives their young CBs another year on their own to prove themselves.

25. Denver - Justin Miller, CB, Clemson - This is where many of the good CBs figure to begin to go, and with losing Herndon via free agency, the Broncos need to put someone opposite of Champ Bailey, and will run with the Cleveland Browns' D-Line from last season.

26. New York Jets - Heath Miller, TE, Virginia - Stunned that the Broncos matched their offer sheet for Putzier, the Jets will spend their top pick to add a pass-catching TE to the mix.

27. Atlanta - Anttaj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin - They have a very good pass-rushing DT in Rod Coleman, but no one to play alongside him. Hawthorne should to a solid job in both regards.

28. San Diego - Shaun Cody, DE/DT, USC - Taking a tweener-type like Ware or Dan Cody here may be a good option as well, but they need someone with Shaun's strength to play end, and there are too many risks with durability with the aforementioned duo as 3-4 DE's.

29. Indianapolis - Fabian Washington, CB, Nebraska - The team's top corner is Jason David... that has to change immediately. Teams play from behind against Indy much of the time, another reason a CB is needed. Washington can flat out fly and he can make plays, because this defense isn't built on prevention, it's built on playmaking ability.

30. Pittsburgh - Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan - A good young corner to develop, Jackson can sit ideally as the nickelback in this solid defense before become top dog in a 1 or 2 years.

31. Philadelphia - Daryl Blackstock, OLB, Virginia - Pretty much their only need is at OLB. Blackstock projects as the best remainin in a 4-3 at that position. If they want a bigger playmaker, DeMarcus Ware will be the choice here.

32. New England - Corey Webster, CB, LSU - The Pats will likely take the best player who fits one of their minor needs at this slot. Those needs are OG, MLB and CB. Baas or Brown may be an OG pick here, but it's rare to get quality corners late in the 1st round, and Webster is a young project corner who will learn well from Belichick. He'll be able to play nickel this year with Poole returning and Samuel taking the other starter's slot.

*Note*: This draft assumes that no trades have been made and that rosters remain as-is until, and through draft day. Obviously, the board would change if Herny went to Arizona, Surtain to KC, etc...
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:29 am

very good mock, the only thing that I can find is that I doubt the Lions will pass up Derrick Johnson if he falls to #10.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:47 am

I think his is a very accurate mock, IMO. Like DJF said, the Lions can't pass up on DJ or Matt Millen will be hung and left to rot in the streets of Detriot
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:52 pm

Yeah, the reason I did not have Detroit picking them is that I cant figure out that they would do with Boss Bailey and Tedy Lehman, who they spent high picks on in recent years. The weird thing is that DJ is an option for virtually every team from the #2 to the #11 slot in this draft, so it's tough to pin where he should end up.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mtryanks12 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:00 pm

Much betetr than most drafts I've seen, but I think that the 10 and 11 picks should be flip flopped, and I don't see Dan Cody anywhere?? I think he'll sign with the Falcons, and I don't think it's possible for him to go in the 2nd round.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Evolution » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:11 pm

The Falcons were the team I had the most trouble drafting for, as I know very little about them. I assumed they'd still be running a 4-3 (as it says on nfl.com), and when I looked at that roster, they only had 1 viable DT, while James and Kerney are good ends. I just didnt see where Dan Cody fit in, although I would be very surprised if someone did not take him in the 1st round on draft day.

I would disagree about flip-flopping 10 and 11. I could very well see DJ going at 10, but Dallas would be more likely to take Merriman at 11, he'd fit their 3-4 scheme much better.

Some other guys who barely missed the 1st round who might have a shot at being a first rounder on draft day:

Matt Jones
Justin Tuck
Dan Cody
Matt Roth
DeMarcus Ware
Kevin Burnett
Barett Rudd
Odell Thurman
Elton Brown
David Baas
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:12 pm

I like that mock alot. I would give DJ to the Lions and probably switch Spears and Merriman. I also don't think Pollack will go that high. But other than that, it looks good. ;-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby joshyboy72 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:34 pm

Very good mock. No point bickering over the 10-13 picks and stuff...those 4 are a toss up, and will depend on whoever is taken at 10. Everything else is pretty much right though, IMO, very good mock Evo.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:27 pm

Very nice mock Ev. I think you are dead on with a lot of things here. There are a couple players I may disagree with, but you have some great ideas on why it may be the same position, just different player...

Nice work!
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:42 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. ;-D

I guess the 10-14 picks are the most questionable picks at this point, and I'll try to address them.

Swiper, we all know about your Marlin Jackson fetish :-D
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk