Why I think Bulger could crack the top 3 for QB's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why I think Bulger could crack the top 3 for QB's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why I think Bulger could crack the top 3 for QB's

Postby Keyser_WV » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:32 am

I know most of you think Manning, Culpepper, and McNabb are locks to be top 3 but I think Bulger can do it.

Here's why:

Most people don't take into account that Bulger has only been a starter for 2 full seasons.

Manning has started for 7 years
Culpepper has started for 5 years
McNabb has started for 5 years

Comparing stats to the big 3 in their first 3 years as starters and Bulger is right there.

Manning's first 3 years

Yards TD's INT's

3739 26 28
4135 26 15
4413 13 15

Culpeppers first 3 years

Yards TD's INT's

3937 33 16
2612 14 13 (only played 11 games)
3859 18 23

McNabb's first 3 years

Yards TD's INT's

3365 21 13
3233 25 12
2289 17 06 (Only played 10 games)

Bulger's first 2 years

Yards TD's INT's

3845 22 22 (15 games)
3964 21 14 (14 games)

Bulger's yardage is already there with the style of offense he is in.

Going into his 3rd full season I think his TD/INT ratio will improve greatly.

Maybe not this year but I bet by 2006 he will be right there with the big 3 as far as fantasy QB's go.

Just seems like everyone forgets he has only started 36 games for his career.

I think the sky is the limit.

4000 yards and 30 TD's are a good possibility this year.

Since Bulger was a WV Mountaineer I may be a bit of a WV homer on this one so I would like to see what everyone thinks.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:45 am

I, too, am high on Bulger... I think the kid's got loads of potential.... I believe the Rams are going to pick up some line protection for him in round one of this year's draft, and he's clearly getting better in the interception department... I would not put it past him to be a very solid number 4 for many years... I would, however, be surprised to see him outperform any of the big three anytime soon....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby black_hawk8888 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:57 am

As soon as Martz is fired (which should be soon), then Bulger is just another QB. His stats are a reflection of the offensive style. I believe that Tom Brady would put up Manning-like numbers in Martz's offense.
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:05 am

i hope you guys are right (excluding blackhawk :-) ) i just traded for him in a keeper league. i already am projecting him at #5. realistically i can see him being #4..but top 3...hmmm i dunno.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ljthockey » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:07 am

Im also high on Bulger having him ranked number 4 this year.

I dont have him ranked so high because of actually Bulgers talent but like Blackhawk said the system. He has a crazy coach that loves to play pass pass pass!. Bulger has two great wideouts in arguablly a top 3 at least top 5 reciever in Holt. And even though Bruce is getting up in age he's still has at least one or two more 1000 yard seasons. The running back situation might actually help Bulgers number if Jackson can step up to the plate and be a solid starter but like everyone expects it seems it will be a rotation of Faulk and Jackson.

Im really high on Bulger this year and would be happy to have him as my fantasy team's starter.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby black_hawk8888 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:07 am

Don't worry Deluxe. I know you traded for him and that was a good move. He will be top 5, but I don't think that he will be top 3. Once Martz leaves though, it all depends on the philosophy of the new coach...
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby Keyser_WV » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:38 am

His stats are a reflection of the offensive style. I believe that Tom Brady would put up Manning-like numbers in Martz's offense.

Tom Brady would put up Manning type numbers with the Colts, Eagles, and Vikings too based on their style of play but that doesn't diminish Manning, C-Pep, or McNabb's skills.

Average pass plays per game last year:

Rams - 36.2
Vikings - 34.5
Eagles - 34.2
Colts - 32.9
Pats - 30.3

Obviously you need to be on an aggressive team to put up good fantasy numbers. If Bulger was on the Colts he would throw for 4000 every year too with that O-Line.

Manning doesn't get touched all year. Bulger was on his butt most of the year.

I think Bulger puts up some impressive stats with the lack of offensive line play.

It would be interesting to see how Manning handled some of that pressure. Not saying he wouldn't produce, just that I would like to see how he handled it.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:49 am

Keyser_WV wrote:
His stats are a reflection of the offensive style. I believe that Tom Brady would put up Manning-like numbers in Martz's offense.

Tom Brady would put up Manning type numbers with the Colts, Eagles, and Vikings too based on their style of play but that doesn't diminish Manning, C-Pep, or McNabb's skills.

I think my head just imploded upon seeing that statement. The idea that Brady could pass for 4000 yards and 30 TDs, in any system, ever, rocketed all rational thought from my head, creating a vaccuum in which the head imploded in on itself. Thanks a lot.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby black_hawk8888 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:17 pm

Why is that such a crazy idea? He just did 28 TDs, 2 short of 30 and had almost 3700 yards. That was in a year where they relied on Dillon too. Why is 4000/30 so hard to imagine for Brady?
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Postby awwchrist » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:17 pm

Not if my voodoo doll has anything to say about it.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk