Why I think Bulger could crack the top 3 for QB's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why I think Bulger could crack the top 3 for QB's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby gatorman1122 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:20 pm

It's not that hard to imagine Bulger in the top 3. If Moss was still in Minnesota, there's no way that Bulger will be top 3. Unlike Trent Green (who's in a team that scores a lot on the ground), Bulger's team is one of the rushing offenses in the league, doing most of their damage through the air.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby black_hawk8888 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:25 pm

I'm a big Tom Brady fan simply because of his talent. His decision making is 10 times better than that of Bulger. The Pats forced 11 turnovers in the playoffs and only gave it up 1 time on a Brady fumble. Brady's arm won the game against Philly and Pittsburgh (the 2 best defenses in football at the time) and didn't throw a pick. His split second decision making is the best there is in the NFL IMO.

I'm not totally sure, but I think brady threw 6 TDs in the 2004-05 playoffs and not one INT. If Bulger had done that, MY head would have imploded. I'm just saying that the system is the cause of Bulger's success, while Brady is a more talented QB with better decision making. Bulger always gives himself away with his eyes, while Brady looks and fires in a split second.

That is part of the fun of fantasy though - gotta take into account skill AND situation/offensive system. ;-D
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:26 pm

The difference in Bulger and Manning/Mcnabb is that Manning/Mcnabb starter their careers without a whole lot of WR talent, and their numbers markedly improved as they got good WR's (Harrison had done nothing until Manning came into town and was still raw during Manning's rookie year).

Bulger on the other hand, started his career with more WR talent than Manning or Mcnabb could have dreamed of at this point in their careers, and that talent is only going to go down as Bruce ages.

Culpepper is the only one of the big three that started with a bigtime established WR in Moss, and the obvious difference between Culpepper and Bulger is that at this point in his career Cpepp had almost twice as many TD's as Bulger does now.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:34 pm

I think it's easier for me to imagine Bulger in the top 3, than Brady having Manning-like #'s in a different style offense. But I suppose anything is possible.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:40 pm

Its definitely a possibility for Bulger to be top 3. With Cpep losing Moss he could easily slip out of the Top 3 and Bulger in.

Bulger has always been high on my list. Yardage is still very respectable without multiple TDs.

Since we are being semi-homers over here. Can Collins break Top 3?....Yes he can. It will be tough but ohhhhhh yeaaaahhh.

Top 5 is definite and i am being objective over here. Homerism aside( yes i am capable of putting my Black & Silver down). Green would be the odd man out. If the Chiefs D improves the overall scoring and passing scheme should let up some.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:44 pm

didn't the vikings actually improve in scoring when moss went down?

I think it is a stretch to be honest. I think bulger might be top 4, but let's see what brees has to say about that too.

The talent on the rams is declining, not improving -- but mcnabb, manning and culpepper are now entering their primes with better teams.

I don't think losing moss will drop culpepper down to be honest. Its not as if the rest of his receivers are trash.

And frankly, the only qb bulger should gain on would be cpepp. he isn't going to outproduce mcnabb or manning.

But, moss or no moss, culppeper was pretty far ahead of donovan for fantasy purposes. So now, it is clearly manning, then a "pick em" between culpepper and mcnabb.

i don't think bulger has the personell or the skills that the other three have.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadScott » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:54 pm

Free Bagel wrote:The difference in Bulger and Manning/Mcnabb is that Manning/Mcnabb starter their careers without a whole lot of WR talent, and their numbers markedly improved as they got good WR's (Harrison had done nothing until Manning came into town and was still raw during Manning's rookie year).

Bulger on the other hand, started his career with more WR talent than Manning or Mcnabb could have dreamed of at this point in their careers, and that talent is only going to go down as Bruce ages.

Culpepper is the only one of the big three that started with a bigtime established WR in Moss, and the obvious difference between Culpepper and Bulger is that at this point in his career Cpepp had almost twice as many TD's as Bulger does now.
Great point here Bagel. Bruce certainly isn't getting any younger and Faulk will now be relegated to a diminished role in this offense. Holt should still produce well but there's alot of question marks going into this season with the Rams offense.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:56 pm

I also think Bulger could tghe top three. Also, he tends to run a lot compared to some other QB's, and his rushing numbers also have a fantasy impact on him. As long as Holt and Bruce can stay healthy, the could the top three, with C Pepp moving down due to the loss of Randy Moss . However, he still did amazingly well with Burleson when moss was out, so I think it will be very tough for him to the top three.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:11 pm

so who does he displace that is the problem. Its just not that realistic based on supporting cast and individula ability. bulger is the least talented of the big three, and his team is certianly no better than minnessota's. Minny lost moss and possibly gained a better d. that d should translate to better field position too.

And bulger runs around a bit, but are we to say that is an ADVANTAGE he has over cpepp or mcnabb? really? manning doesn't count, as NO WAY this is even a discussion in regards to manning.

I just don't think it is that logical.

His supporting cast is at best tied with the vikes -- ad is not as good as the eagles or colts.

his natural ability is not as good as any of the three in question.

with the exception of the colts, his d is the worst.

Im not seeing it fellas.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Why I think Bulger could crack the top 3 for QB's

Postby maddog60 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:36 pm

Keyser_WV wrote:Most people don't take into account that Bulger has only been a starter for 2 full seasons.

Manning has started for 7 years
Culpepper has started for 5 years
McNabb has started for 5 years

If anything, his only having started 2 years hurts him. The big three at QB are all in the primes of their career and dont have any learning really left to do. Bulger with only two years starting still might be learning, which is not ideal for a top 3 QB.

Going into his 3rd full season I think his TD/INT ratio will improve greatly.

Why? The evidence you show on the most popular top 3 show that only one of them had even a 1:1 ratio in his third season. If anything, that suggests that Bulger's ratio is likely to get worse, though I personally think their stats have no barring whatsoever, I just see no reason why his TD:INT ratio would improve.

From what I've seen, his subpar TD:INT ratio comes from the same thing that gives him tremendous yards, the system. Mike Martz will find a way to convince himself he should call a passing play almost every down, and when you throw so many passes, you're going to get intercepted more often based on probability alone.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk