Henry to the Cards? (I know, I know...) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Henry to the Cards? (I know, I know...)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Evolution » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:08 pm

Xtreme wrote:Personally, I'd like to see them get Shelton and exchange their 2nd round pick for Arizona's 1st. I'm not overrating Henry, in fact, I was never really that fond of him, but he's the last talent left on FA, he's a proven 1400-1500 yrd RB, and the RB pool in the draft is relatively lackluster.

You're joking right? Lackluster RB pool? The top 3 backs in this draft (Brown, Williams and Benson) are more touted than the top backs of last year (Jackson and Jones), and there are 3-4 guys who are 2nd-3rd round guys who may make an impact someday (this year's Tatum Bell's or Julius Jones's).

Switching the #8 overall with the Bills' 2nd? I think a team would rather make a deal involving a pick that high for Edgerrin James or Shaun Alexander right now, if that could ever happen. To get the #8 overall the Bills would have to throw in someone like Nate Clements, which would never happen.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:42 pm

I've actually heard that this deal is less likely to go down before, certainly not more likely.

Don't you just hate flip-floppers? Yeah, us, too, except when we are forced to reverse positions on an issue. Like the much discussed trade of Buffalo Bills disgruntled tailback Travis Henry to the Arizona Cardinals for left offensive tackle L.J.Shelton, who clearly has fallen out of favor with coach Dennis Green and his staff. We reported in this space two weeks ago that the swap would almost certainly occur before the draft.

And now? We're not so sure. For one thing, upon further inspection, the Buffalo staff isn't nearly as enamored of Shelton as it once appeared to be. There are some Bills coaches who feel that Shelton would not be a starter in Buffalo, and that he probably would serve only as the team's No. 6 offensive lineman. That means, barring an unexpected event, the Bills plan to move starting center Trey Teague to left tackle, the position he played early in his career, with the Denver Broncos. It also probably means there will not be a straight player-for-player swap between the Bills and the Cardinals. The Bills still feel they need to get something more in return for Henry, a two-time 1,000-yard rusher, who lost his starting job to Willis McGahee last season, and who has vowed he will never again play in a Bills uniform.

So if Henry isn't shipped off to Arizona, where does he go? Maybe back to the Bills, who certainly can afford to keep him, especially with a palatable base salary of $1.25 million. Sure, there would have to be some fences mended for Henry to play in Buffalo again. But the rhetoric and posturing of March and April, such as that done by Henry a couple weeks ago, typically is long forgotten [and forgiven] when teams start doling out paychecks.

There also is the possibility that Buffalo could find a trade partner other than Arizona, and that notion isn't so far-fetched. A few other clubs have contacted Bills general manager Tom Donahoe and, while none has yet to approximate the ardor of the Cardinals, plenty can happen before the draft. Do not discount teams such as Tampa Bay, Seattle (if the Seahawks suddenly found a buyer for "franchise" tailback Shaun Alexander), Houston and Minnesota as potential suitors.

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... 2581&num=0
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Re: Henry to the Cards? (I know, I know...)

Postby bigGAME101 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:04 am

maddog60 wrote:
bigGAME101 wrote:Can't give ya'll a link, but word out of ESPN Insider rumors is that a trade of Henry for Shelton is likely to be completed in the next few days. Apparently, the Cards have elected to take Buffalo's offer and switch second round picks to get Henry. IMO, kind of a dumb move for Zona, but somehow Donahoue seems to be a master of swinging deals and managing the team.

So you think the Cards should've taken likely the 3rd best RB in the draft instead, and then lesser defensive picks throughout the draft, whereas now they have a starting RB, and can grab a playmaker like Derrick Johnson, Pac-man Jones, or Antrell Rolle?

No, I think the move is good for Arizona, and they should definately take the top CB available, but I'm saying i dont think they had to change 2nd rounders. When I say dumb, i mean dumb to change seconds (probably not necessary). Its one of those deals that had Arizona waited longer, I think Buff would have dealt him with the 2nd round swap, thus benefiting Arizona in the long run. Then again., I suppose they could still do this...the deal hasnt gone through yet

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ljthockey » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:06 am

God i hope this trade goes through I took him quite early in a dynasty draft this year. :-?
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mtryanks12 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:35 am

Personally, I'd be surprised if the trade didn't go through. The Bills would have a lot of problems having two RB's who have proven themselves to be amazing, one as the backup. Henry would be surely ed.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Xtreme » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:04 am

Evolution wrote:
Xtreme wrote:Personally, I'd like to see them get Shelton and exchange their 2nd round pick for Arizona's 1st. I'm not overrating Henry, in fact, I was never really that fond of him, but he's the last talent left on FA, he's a proven 1400-1500 yrd RB, and the RB pool in the draft is relatively lackluster.

You're joking right? Lackluster RB pool? The top 3 backs in this draft (Brown, Williams and Benson) are more touted than the top backs of last year (Jackson and Jones), and there are 3-4 guys who are 2nd-3rd round guys who may make an impact someday (this year's Tatum Bell's or Julius Jones's).

Switching the #8 overall with the Bills' 2nd? I think a team would rather make a deal involving a pick that high for Edgerrin James or Shaun Alexander right now, if that could ever happen. To get the #8 overall the Bills would have to throw in someone like Nate Clements, which would never happen.

I don't know much about college players, not real interested, but all I've heard on television and radio is that there is NO premium talent in the draft this year, compared to previous years, for all positions. Sure, there are some RBs that standout above others, but comparing them to years past, not as good. This is why a lot of team in the first 10 picks are trying to trade down.

Again, I'm only regurgitating what I hear.
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:20 am

Xtreme wrote:
Evolution wrote:

I don't know much about college players, not real interested, but all I've heard on television and radio is that there is NO premium talent in the draft this year, compared to previous years, for all positions. Sure, there are some RBs that standout above others, but comparing them to years past, not as good. This is why a lot of team in the first 10 picks are trying to trade down.

Again, I'm only regurgitating what I hear.

Overall the draft talent might not be as good, but in terms of RBs the talent is better, especially at the top. Brown, Benson and Cadillac all grade out higher than Steven Jackson who was the highest rated back last year.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:27 am

I think the Cards and Bills should get this deal done. Denny Green would help himself by getting a proven back into his offense, and then having to deal only with finding a QB. If he brings in a rookie it usually takes a while for them to get up to speed. If he wants to win now he should get Henry. If he drafts a RB later in the draft he can always bring him along slowly so he doesn't "hit the wall." I just dont think a rookie RB is a great situation for a starter. Then he will have the wideouts, the running back, and all he will need is the QB and things should be good, except on Defense of course, but as a Viking fan I know Denny don't care about defense
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:49 pm

Xtreme wrote:Personally, I'd like to see them get Shelton and exchange their 2nd round pick for Arizona's 1st.

They would never do that. Arizona needs its picks for rebuilding, they won't trade them, and better player like Corey Dillon, TO, etc, didn't even garner first rounders in trade. The idea of Henry nabbing the Bills the 8th overall selection is ludicrous.

I'm not overrating Henry, in fact, I was never really that fond of him, but he's the last talent left on FA, he's a proven 1400-1500 yrd RB, and the RB pool in the draft is relatively lackluster.

The first things ever said about this draft were that it's great on RBs. All analysts agree, much like how last year's draft was full of WR talent, this year's draft is full of RB talent. So, easily Arizona would be better off keeping their first and drafting an instant starter at RB if they had to give it up to get Henry.

Sorry, you may not realized it, but you are severely overrating Henry, and I like the guy. Anyone willing to play on a broken leg in a doomed offense, during a doomed season, but he toughs it out for the team, gets my respect.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:10 am

If this trade goes through I think Henry is an early 2nd round pick overnight. Emmitt Smith rushed for 9 TDs in that system and Dennis Green has shown his willingness to give the ball to the RB(s) at the goalline. NFC West..... Henry is virtually a lock for 1500/10 if he stays healthy.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk