Is Pittman playing or not? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Pittman playing or not?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Pittman playing or not?

Postby LTFalcon » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:38 pm

A month ago, I thought this guy would be wearing a jail uniform rather than his Bucs uniform. But lately, I haven't heard much at all, I just see him making appearances in the preseason games.

Does anybody know the latest on this...is he going to be able to play the full season? My draft is beginning to look like he might be the best back available to me in the next round...assuming he plays the whole year. Otherwise, I'd rather stretch for a sleeper with upside.
LTFalcon
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby yoda83 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:25 pm

jail or no jail, watch out for pittman. are you positive he's the best available? have you heard what's goin on w/ the tampa RB situation? jones, in particular. who else do you think will be out there? has toefield been doing anything? i know taylor's been nursing an injury.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pittman

Postby DraftDodger » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:07 pm

During the Bucs-Rams game tonight the announcers said that Pittman would be available to play the first two regular season games, then he will be out for an indeterminate time, possibly missing the rest of the season.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby drunkenmonkey » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:15 pm

Beside Chicago, I've heard Tampa Bay mentioned in a Duce Staley trade. Gruden has made it quite clear from comments I've heard that if the Bucs aren't satisfied with any of their running backs by the beginning of the season, they won't hesitate to go get someone else.

I've got Pittman on one of my teams, but my fingers is already on the drop button is someone I feel has a shot becomes available.
It's time to roll the dice!
drunkenmonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby drunkenmonkey » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:01 am

Update -- just found an article online while looking for info on Pittman. Apparently, his wife is not pressing charges, and it looks as if Arizona prosecutors don't have a case without her. The article said Tampa Bay is not worried about Pittman doing any jail time and are still claiming he is their starting running back.

That being said, I still look for him to split time with Thomas Jones. However, in a deep league, sometimes in the late rounds that is all you can ask for.

Side Note -- Should I feel bad knowing that I breathed a sigh of relief on hearing that this maniac will not be doing jail time? Man, fantasy football and sports in general can really distort your sense of reality. I need help.
It's time to roll the dice!
drunkenmonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:48 am

I don't see Jones taking many snaps from Pittman. He's their starter, and they like to run and control the ball. I snapped him up in one league he was dropped in.

Good news for Pittman if the charges are dropped or whatever. I'd take advantage of it if you can. If you can draft him late or get him for free I'd give it a shot.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby yoda83 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:53 am

i wouldnt call tampa a ball control (by rushing) squad. and whatever attempt at ball control they do make, alstott will grab a chunk of the carries. and tampa's o-line is crap. and pittman sucks. let's not forget that. seriously, stay away from him; there are better options out there.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:03 am

Yoda makes a great point that is sometimes overlooked by fantasy football fans in these early stages. Even though a player is labeled the starter, it doesnt mean he will be a viable fantasy option for teams trying to win their league. Pittman had just an awful fantasy season last yr even before all this RBBC controversy. He is not a good option. There are at least half a dozen similar situations being discussed on message boards here: HOU, MIN, ARI, DAL, CHI, DET - just to get some off the top of my head. These are situations that you do not want to be looking at trying to find a starter for your team. Trust me, rarely does pre season hype translate into fantasy success for RBs.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby EatMyShorts092 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:12 pm

I got pittman in the 14th round. lookin like a good pick after that news.
EatMyShorts092
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk