Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Postby Nilmerf » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:38 pm

DON'T PANIC!

Anyone else read these books? I read the original and Restaurant in junior high.. and recently picked up the trilogy of five. I read the first two again.. classic books, completely hilarious. The third had its moments. I barely made it through the fourth, and had to stop reading the fifth it was so bad. But that's besides the point.. the point is that there is now a MOVIE!

So what do you think? The trailer looked pretty good, despite my never envisioning Mos Def as Ford Prefect. 8-o

And what books does it encompass? I've heard just the first, which would be good enough. My favourite thing in the entire series though.. was the first line from Restaurant.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:51 pm

Marvin the paranoid Android:
"Ive got a brain the size of a planet"

Loved the books, loved the TV series. Though I havent seen either in years.

A movie! that sounds like fun. ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Manja » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:56 pm

I loved the first book... Didn't find enough time to read the others, but I think I'll need to do that now.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Tyr » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:38 pm

Trilogy of five... wouldn't that be a quintet.. or quintology?

:-o

Anyways, I loved the first three. The forth and fifth were.. not so great. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming movie. It actually looks like it will stay faithful to the books, unlike the old TV Series... which was terrible, but incredibly amusing while drunk. :-b
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:59 pm

Tyr wrote:Trilogy of five... wouldn't that be a quintet.. or quintology?

:-o

Anyways, I loved the first three. The forth and fifth were.. not so great. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming movie. It actually looks like it will stay faithful to the books, unlike the old TV Series... which was terrible, but incredibly amusing while drunk. :-b

Wasn't the fifth book dubbed as the "next installment of the increasingly inaccurately named trilogy" or something like that?

"How to fly: throw yourself at the ground and miss". Classic.

I'm a huge fan of Douglas Adams and even liked the Dirk Gently books. He and I have/had a similar sense of humor so those books just clicked. I agree that the later installments weren't as good as the first 3. I can't wait for the movie. My friend and I used to discuss the perfect cast for the movie if it was ever made (years ago). I doubt it will live up to expectations, but it's great that someone has finally decided to try.

;-D

USELESS FACT:
I always found great irony in the fact that Adams was one of my favorite authors and Pink Floyd is my favorite band. Adams and David Gilmore were friends. Adams actually is the one that suggested the name "Division Bell" for Floyd's last studio album.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cooleyhigh » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:32 pm

Loved those books and can't wait for the movie. I did not know about Mos Def, that will be cool ;-D

I liked, "Humans thought themselves to be the most intelligent form of life on earth because they invented the wheel and NYC while all dolphins did was muck about in the water all day having fun."

"Dolphins felt they were the most intelligent for the same reasons." :-b
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Atog » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:32 pm

"The human race took a step for the worse when they killed a man for suggesting how good it would be if people were nice to one other, for a change"

I can't wait for the movie :D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby daullaz » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:39 pm

I agree completely. It's been in the works for a while now, to the point where I thought it would never get made. I think Mos Def is an outstanding choice for Ford Prefect. I don't go out and see many movies while they are in the theaters, but this is definitely going to be one. ;-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:02 am

The first three rank in my top three for books read. I'm completely in love with them. Thefirst book is my alltime fav though. Can anyone remember the line that has Kanguskaun (think that's how it's spelt) in it? One of my favourite lines. I lauged so hard ;-D
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk