What the NFL Draft SHOULD look like - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What the NFL Draft SHOULD look like

Moderator: Football Moderators

What the NFL Draft SHOULD look like

Postby FF Newbie » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:42 pm

This isn't necessarily how I think the draft will unfold. In fact, I know a lot of these picks will not happen, but this is what the 1st round would look like if the league's GMs were as smart as I am.

1. San Francisco - Braylon Edwards. I really think the 49ers should go WR this year and QB next year since next year's QB class should be a lot stronger and they'll likely be drafting #1 again.

2. Miami - Cedric Benson. I've seen what Benson can do and I guess I'm more confident he'll be successful at this level than either of the Auburn boys.

3. Cleveland - Derrick Johnson. Possibly the best player in the draft and the Browns need help everywhere.

4. Chicago - Mike Williams. They have Muhammad and then pretty much no one at WR.

5. Tampa Bay - Carnel Williams. Pittman is pretty good, but he's getting old. I'm guessing the Auburn coaches knew what they were doing when the made Williams the starter over Brown.

6. Tennessee - Antrell Rolle. The Titans should trade this pick, but if they keep it, they should take Rolle to replace Samari and solidify the secondary.

7. Minnesota - Ronnie Brown. With DJ and the two WRs off the board, the Vikings should go with either Brown or Merriman, but Brown's combination of size and speed is too much to pass up.

8. Arizona - Adam Jones. Really a no-brainer pick for the Cardinals assuming the Henry trade goes through.

9. Washington - Alex Barron. A surprise pick, but Washington's offensive troubles begin with the O-line. Barron will make an immediate impact.

10. Detroit - Shawn Merriman. The Lions are in sore need of a defensive end and Merriman immediately brings a pass-rushing threat to go along with Shaun Rogers, perhaps the best DT in football.

11. Dallas - Troy Williamson. Better value here than any of the remainining DEs and they'll probably end up working out a deal with New Orleans for Howard anyway. Keyshawn sucks and Glenn is better used as a slot receiver. Bledsoe needs someone to throw it to.

12. San Diego - Marcus Spears. Most of the talk has been about the Chargers grabbing a WR here, but McCardell, Caldwell, and Parker are adequate and with Williamson gone, the Chargers have little choice but to select Spears here.

13. Houston - Erasmus James. Lingering injury concerns, but James is the best choice for the Texans.

14. Carolina - Travis Johnson. Brenston Buckner is no longer starter material after 12 years in the league. Johnson fills one of the biggest holes in a solid Panthers squad.

15. Kansas City - Carlos Rogers. This would probably be the pick even if the Chiefs complete a deal with the Dolphins to aquire Patrick Surtain.

16. New Orleans Saints - Alex Smith. Brooks is erratic and there's been talk in New Orleans that the Saints might be looking to go in another direction. Smith might be the answer.

17. Cincinnati - Thomas Davis. Davis is just the type of strong, run-stopping safety the Bengals need.

18. Minnesota Vikings - Mark Clayton. Clayton is no Randy Moss, but he'll fit in nicely with Nate Burleson.

19. St. Louis - Jamal Brown. The Rams desperately need to shore up the O-line after losing Turley last season. Brown will open some nice holes for starting RB Stephen Jackson.

20. Dallas - Aaron Rogers. Let's face it, Drew Henson is not the answer and Bledsoe is a one or two year fill-in at best.

21. Jacksonvile - David Pollack. Another no-brainer pick, the Jags select the best remaining DE in Pollack.

22. Baltimore - Khalif Barnes. Most mocks have the Ravens selecting a WR here, but Boller already has some solid targets in Heap, Mason, and Moore and the Ravens are a run-first team. Barnes brings quality and depth to an already solid O-line.

23. Seattle - Channing Crowder. It's been a long time since Derrick Johnson went off the board as the first LB taken and Crowder is a fantastic value pick here.

24. Green Bay - Fabian Washington. The Packers need help in the secondary regardless of position. Many feel they'll select Brodney Pool, but Pool was burned repeatedly at the college level and the speedster Washington has greater upside.

25. Denver - Shaun Cody. I just can't believe that the Browns D-line is the answer for the Broncos. Cody can play any position along the front four.

26. N.Y. Jets - Heath Miller. Pretty simple, really. The Jets need a TE and Miller is by far the best one in the draft. There really isn't much left at this position in later rounds.

27. Atlanta - Antaaj Hawthorne. Hawthorne will step in nicely for the departed free agent Ed Jasper.

28. San Diego - Roddy White. The Chargers get their WR.

29. Indianapolis - Marlin Jackson. The Colts need to improve the defense...d'oh. Jackson is also an electrifying return threat.

30. Pittsburgh - Justin Miller. It's one thing to spend a 2nd or 3rd-rounder on a project, position change talent. It's entirely another to spend a 1st. The Steelers go with a solid, proven player at a need position in Miller.

31. Philadelphia - Darryl Blackstock. The Eagles are thrilled that Blackstock falls to them here. This is pretty much the Eagles' only "need" and Blackstock is a good one.

32. New England - Corey Webster. Ty Law is gone and the Patriots really don't want to have to depend on Troy Brown (if he's back) to play nickel back again this year.
Last edited by FF Newbie on Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtryanks12 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:39 am

80% of those picks aren't gonna happen, but I like a lot of them.

Well then, do you consider yourself to be smart??
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby proKrastinate » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:21 am

all I read was up to #1 overall, AND I LIKE IT. Just kidding, i read a bunch of them (though I am not really familiar with college, players, just who my team may take) I feel like the niners are drafting a QB right now because it seems just like the right thing to do and thus we are settling for Rogers or Smith when we really know we would like a QB in next years draft. If Matt was in this draft I wouldn't feel like I do; I would be happy with the #1 overall selection. Right now we would be talking about what could happen at #2 since #1 would be a sure thing.

So I pray that Nolan takes Edwards #1 overall, or better yet we trade down (which many teams are trying to do) and we take a QB next year.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Evolution » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:31 pm

The only thing I can majorly disagree with here is Washington taking Alex Barron when they have 2 of the better tackles in Samuels and Jansen on that team already.

The other borderline one is Minny taking another RB for obvious reasons.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby FF Newbie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:21 pm

Honestly, I didn't know that much about Jansen. I just knew Washington's O-line has been attrocious, so I kinda guessed. Plus, I figured they might be able to move someone around to get Barron in somewhere.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MCG321 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:30 pm

Positions would be nice so the uninformed guys like me would know who plays what. :~( :-b
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:52 pm

I am sorry, but it is ludicrous to drop Aaron Rodgers to the 20th slot. If you have ever seen him play you can tell that he has a good shot at being a franchise QB in the league, while I do somewhat disagree w/ him going 1st overall, theres no way he falls out of the top 8.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FF Newbie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:09 pm

Yes, I've seen him play. I don't think he's top half of the first round material at all. He's nowhere near on the level of Palmer, Manning, and Roethlisberger from last year. He'll probably go in the first eight picks, but remember, this isn't a mock of what will happen, but what should.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:57 pm

FF Newbie wrote:Yes, I've seen him play. I don't think he's top half of the first round material at all. He's nowhere near on the level of Palmer, Manning, and Roethlisberger from last year. He'll probably go in the first eight picks, but remember, this isn't a mock of what will happen, but what should.

I know, and I'm saying that there is no way that Rodgers should fall out of the top 8, regardless of team needs. QB is easily the most important position in football and Rodgers is a damn good QB prospect, as is Smith.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:11 pm

FF Newbie wrote:He'll probably go in the first eight picks, but remember, this isn't a mock of what will happen, but what should.

I thought this was a mock of what would happen if you were GM of all 32 teams, not a mock of what will happen? Because this will not
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk