Return to General Talk

No More Snoozing

Moderator: Football Moderators

No More Snoozing

Postby kanezfan11 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:25 am

Reuters/Yahoo! wrote:Hide-And-Seek Alarm Rousts Sleepyheads from Bed

Fri Apr 8, 8:37 AM ET
By Greg Frost

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (Reuters) - A 25-year-old Massachusetts Institute of Technology student has invented a revolutionary alarm clock that makes sleepyheads find it to quiet it.

Designed to overcome abuse of the snooze feature on most alarm clocks, Gauri Nanda's "Clocky" falls to the floor and rolls away on the first push of the snooze button.

To turn it off, a person must get out of bed and find it.

The clock features two rubber wheels and is covered in thick, 1970s-style shag carpet and other material to cushion it when it tumbles to the floor.

A built-in computer chip randomly decides how far the clock will roll, so it stops in a different place each morning.

Since word of Clocky started spreading on the Internet last month, Nanda has been deluged with e-mails from people around the world seeking to buy, sell or invest in her invention.

Among those interested in Clocky, one Belgian woman wrote that she has chronic fatigue syndrome and that not even "10 alarm clocks" can wake her up. A Virginia man said: "I think I may have the record for hitting the snooze button for five hours straight. I need help. Clocky may be my only hope."

Others have suggested improvements for Clocky.

"One guy said he wouldn't mind if it squirted water on him, which is kind of weird," Nanda told Reuters on Thursday.

Unfortunately for them, Clocky is still a research project and is not yet commercially available. But Nanda said she is putting finishing touches on a prototype and hopes to begin testing it soon with an eye toward marketing.

In the meantime, the university is helping her sort out intellectual property issues on the runaway clock.

Nanda said the carpeting was inspired by some of the household items she remembers seeing as a child.

"My parents had amplifiers that looked like they were covered in carpet," she said. "I went with it because it's unconventional looking and gives the clock a playful personality. Maybe it'll even make the user laugh."
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bennett4prez » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:28 am

Haha. Very clever. Never would I spend money to get rid of my beloved snooze button, though. :*)
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:47 am

That is clever but I never see it catching on as more than just a novelty.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:57 am

That sounds neat...but I think I'll stick with my good old snooze button as well, it is yet to fail me. (Since mine won't allow you to snooze more than 4 times.)
:-D

Sort of looks like a meatloaf... :-? :-o

joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:13 am

It sounds cool, but I wouldn't pay the steep price tag for it. And I rarely use the snooze button anyways because I gotta get to school on time, so I can't just sleep.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:53 am

Of course someone from MIT created it, everyone who goes there is an absolute genious...

For the clock, I see nothing about how loud it is, because my alarm clock often doesn't wake me up.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:38 pm

good idea in theory...i often hit my snooze a lot. but man...there is no way that ungly think would be sitting on my nightstand 8-o and what would happen if it rolled out the door to a place you couldnt hear it? i can hear your excuse at work now when you show up late from oversleeping ..."i swear boss...my alarm clock rolled out the door and i didnt hear it " :-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hastur » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:54 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:That is clever but I never see it catching on as more than just a novelty.

Pet Rock
Rubics Cube
Those sticky rubber spider thingies that 'crawled' down walls

Novelties, if marketed right, can make millions. Intellectual Property rights can make you even more millions. I predict after the novelty wears off, she will be left with enough to retire right out of college.
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:04 pm

hastur wrote:
Guttpuppy wrote:That is clever but I never see it catching on as more than just a novelty.

Pet Rock
Rubics Cube
Those sticky rubber spider thingies that 'crawled' down walls

hey now...i still play with a rubics cube sometimes !+) and those other things you are talking about are called "wacky wall walkers"
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:11 pm

That sounds great...I think I would get to P-O'd not being able to find the thing to shut it off. haha. I am blind as a bat without my contacts in.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk